Author Topic: Jeff Van Gundy: My new favorite play by play  (Read 9736 times)

Jeff Van Gundy: My new favorite play by play
« on: June 13, 2008, 02:02:09 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
Only because of one action, in the 4th quarter last night.  ABC had jammed an extra few commercials into the break.  The game started, they had JUST come back, and were showing Mark Jackson and Van Gundy talking.

Van Gundey looked at the camera with a surprised, disgusted look at his face for a few seconds before POINTING to the court and widening his eyes, saying "WHAT ARE YOU IDIOTS DOING THE GAME IS ON!?!?!".

The guy actually likes basketball, and even... yes... think of the fans!  GET THAT MAN A TOMMY POINT!

Re: Jeff Van Gundy: My new favorite play by play
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 02:04:47 PM »

Offline Schintzius

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 68
JVG actually does color commentary (Breen's the play by play guy), but I gotta agree.  He's very entertaining, and provides some great insight from time to time.

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 02:05:21 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I like him a lot too.  The guy shoots from the hip and doesn't care about censoring his opinions even if he knows Stern and his lackeys won't like it.  And he doesn't care about completely calling out the two morons sitting next to him (I don't think Jackson is a moron... but can't stand him as an announcer any more... "Come on ______, you're better than that."  "He puts him on his hip..." "That is a grown man move."  "And Kobe says, 'not in my house', and Pierce says, 'yes in your house,' and he says 'blah blah blah'."

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 03:14:35 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
That was ridiculous late in the fourth quarter when they showed the three talking heads instead of showing the live game action. What in the world was ABC thinking? How do you not show a whole possession of basketball late in the fourth quarter?

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 03:20:06 PM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
he balances his jokes and insight perfectly and both are entertaining...he could be the best national color guy of all time.

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 03:30:21 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • 36 charges and counting..
Although I do believe he said he would take the Lakers plus 18.. maybe that was the jinx the C's needed.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 03:38:18 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Although I do believe he said he would take the Lakers plus 18.. maybe that was the jinx the C's needed.

Didn't he call the game for the Lakers and say the series was even at 2-2 in the second quarter?

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 03:40:23 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • 36 charges and counting..
Yes that's what I was trying to say although it may not have been very clear.

JVG reverse jinxed the Fakers. 
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 03:41:34 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107

Didn't he call the game for the Lakers and say the series was even at 2-2 in the second quarter?

Yup he did. Then Jackson and Breen said something to, Don't you think they can come back? He then replied to sure anythings possible.  At least to my rememberance.  

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 03:44:43 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

I'm pretty sure it was the end of the first quarter. I'm thinking Gasol's FTs right at the end of that period was when he said it.

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 03:56:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
It was definitely near the end of the first quarter and no Van Gundy did not say that anything was possible. He said "well I'll take 17 points anyday." and proceeded to give the game to the Lakers.

And as candid as Van Gundy can be I didn't like how uncandid(is that a word) he was at the half of game 3 when question about the Donaghy allegations about the 2005 Houston-Dallas series that he got fined $100K for for saying the exact same thing Donaghy alleged.

He has always steadfastly said that the refs were told to single out Yao and when he has the opportunity to slap back at Stern and the league, he's surprisingly elusive and evasive. He lost a lot of respect in my book for that.

But yes, without a doubt, he is the best national color guy since one Tommy Heinsohn, who had to carry that idiot Dick Stockton on his back every Sunday and every June for years.

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 04:20:13 PM »

Offline huzy

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 82
  • We not Me
Nickagneta

I’m happy you brought Van Gundy’s halftime segment up. Perfect Assessment.

When they went into that interview, I really perked up expecting Van Gundy to make a public statement. Since he’s not affiliated with the league from a coaching standpoint, I would think that he would be exempt from any fines imposed for his candid remarks.

However, I think Van Gundy is still interested in another coaching opportunity. This is why I he held back. While I’m not exactly on board with those saying “the league is fixed” I am definitely in the “David Stern is big brother” camp. I’m sure Van Gundy felt the threat of possible collusion in his next pursuit of a position, if he said what was really on his mind. His delivery was definitely out of character from his color-commentary personality and his answers seemed “canned.”

I wouldn’t at all be surprised if Mr. Stern had a conversation with Van Gundy before he went on the air, which altered his response.

But, totally agree. I was expecting more from Jeff.
"      “I can make a trade every day if I want to, but that's not going to help us. A trade that would get us better rarely comes along. They're very difficult to find. Good trades are very difficult in our league and don't happen very often.”
-Danny Ainge

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 04:24:12 PM »

Offline Andrew Celtic Nation

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 105
Guys, Im wondering what was the dumbest comment Van Gundy made last night.

- Proclaiming the game over in the first quarter
OR
- Saying "If you can name me someone funnier than Kevin James, I want names".

I think the Kevin James comment is far more damaging since a lot of us probably though we were done with the way we were playing at that point. I could name a couple of phonebooks worth of people funnier than Kevin James.

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 04:48:24 PM »

Offline kriegpat2

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 15
Guys, Im wondering what was the dumbest comment Van Gundy made last night.

- Proclaiming the game over in the first quarter
OR
- Saying "If you can name me someone funnier than Kevin James, I want names".

I think the Kevin James comment is far more damaging since a lot of us probably though we were done with the way we were playing at that point. I could name a couple of phonebooks worth of people funnier than Kevin James.

That was the comment that stuck out in my mind the most.  Also, his praise for the movie "HITCH" was just a tad over the top.
"I'm the classic great player on a bad team, and it stinks." - Paul Pierce

"Celtics fans, there are some rocky weeks ahead." - Chad Ford 6/22/07

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 05:03:00 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I think it was last night's game when he made a joke about him being bald.  I think they were talking about having arguments at the barbershop and JVG went on a rampage on how his haircuts takes 3 minutes and he still has to pay the same amount- then they turn the camera to him and he's like, "sure, show my hair.  There, I am bald!"  I thought that was pretty hilarious!
Baby Jesus!