Author Topic: The Problem with Lakers Fans Is..........  (Read 10652 times)

Re: The Problem with Lakers Fans Is..........
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2008, 02:32:47 PM »

Offline noro

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
  • Welcome to the Loud House
This is why I hate Laker fans.

http://www.youtube.com/v/pHRR7l9Rw-w&hl=en

« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 02:39:00 PM by Roy Hobbs »
2003 National Champions

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2008, 02:37:25 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
pretty ignorant comments, yes.  Though the last one I've heard from many many places - there is a perception that Boston is not friendly towards African American Athletes.  There has been a lot of research done on the lack of black free agents who have willingly come to Boston - many blacks have come through trade, but only a handful through pure free agency (especially top tier guys) - off the top of my head with the c's I can think of a small handful in the last 10-15 years - Dana Barros (but he's a hometown guy) Nique (he supposedly hated it here though) Xavier McDaniel, Chris Mills, House, Posey (though you can argue they came for the ring) - remember how much Gary Payton didn't want to be traded here, same with KG before Ray came. The city seems to be a deterent for many, I'd blame the weather more than anything though.

there's an interesting blog article (read the comments) from Bill Burt here:

http://blogs.eagletribune.com/sports/2007/07/02/race-baiting-again-in-boston/

Now I don't think the C's as an organization are racist, and I (probably naively) hope the average sports fan is not as well here, but there is that stereotype, and as they say stereotypes are based off of truth in some way

We're going a bit off-topic here, but the reason free agents haven't signed in Boston is because we're never under the cap, and our team has been terrible.  Free agents either want 1) money or 2) winning, and Boston hasn't been able to offer either in 20 years.

I don't think perceived racism has been a draw back for either the Patriots or Red Sox in attracting diverse talent to their organizations.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2008, 02:42:28 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
pretty ignorant comments, yes.  Though the last one I've heard from many many places - there is a perception that Boston is not friendly towards African American Athletes.  There has been a lot of research done on the lack of black free agents who have willingly come to Boston - many blacks have come through trade, but only a handful through pure free agency (especially top tier guys) - off the top of my head with the c's I can think of a small handful in the last 10-15 years - Dana Barros (but he's a hometown guy) Nique (he supposedly hated it here though) Xavier McDaniel, Chris Mills, House, Posey (though you can argue they came for the ring) - remember how much Gary Payton didn't want to be traded here, same with KG before Ray came. The city seems to be a deterent for many, I'd blame the weather more than anything though.

there's an interesting blog article (read the comments) from Bill Burt here:

http://blogs.eagletribune.com/sports/2007/07/02/race-baiting-again-in-boston/

Now I don't think the C's as an organization are racist, and I (probably naively) hope the average sports fan is not as well here, but there is that stereotype, and as they say stereotypes are based off of truth in some way

We're going a bit off-topic here, but the reason free agents haven't signed in Boston is because we're never under the cap, and our team has been terrible.  Free agents either want 1) money or 2) winning, and Boston hasn't been able to offer either in 20 years.

I don't think perceived racism has been a draw back for either the Patriots or Red Sox in attracting diverse talent to their organizations.

you're right that we're off topic - this could be an interesting thread to start after the c's win their 17th title =)
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2008, 02:46:43 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
An example about the vileness of internet Lakers fans that I was talking about:

Somebody started a thread calling Pierce out for joking that the difference between he and Carmello was that he never got a DUI.  First, the idea of calling out Pierce for that is pretty weak.  Anyway, that generated some comments like:

Pierce deserved to get stabbed now that he does nothing but open his mouth.

One of this days he will be shot from one of the real thugs....in Inglewood.

that guy is one stupid punkass.

you think he got stabbed like 30 times on accident?

They don't like black people in Boston.

That's all in one page of replies.  Again, I don't want to judge all Lakers fans by what some lunatics post on their most popular fan site, but you see comments like this constantly.  This, from the fans that so vehemently defend Kobe.

i'd say this sums up a decent number of the one's i've encountered, not sure about the rest of you.

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2008, 02:53:15 PM »

Offline slamdunk

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 56
  • I'mPossible

They also want to play in a warm weather city, which Boston is not known for.