Author Topic: How Perceptions Change  (Read 1629 times)

How Perceptions Change
« on: June 13, 2008, 01:06:43 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
It's amazing how the general sense of the series changes so dramatically.

Coming into the series, most observers thought L.A. would win, and win well.

After game one, most thought it would be a series, at least. Boston looked better than expected, but they were at home.

3/4 through game 2, the C's looked unstoppable.

after the completion of game 2, it looked like the C's had squeaked out a W by surviving a collapse, but really the had just held serve.

After game three, a lot of people just said they were even teams; homecourt meant everything, and Kobe wouldn't let his team lose a close one.

1/2 way through game 4 it looked like the Lakers' backers were right to be confident going in, and maybe the first 7 quarters of the finals were a fluke, and the last quarter of game 2, all of game 3, and the first half of game 4 was the "true" essence of the series, and it would be a back and forth affair with the C's probably heading home down 3-2 and desperate to win 2 in a row.

Now, it looks like the end of game 2 through the first half of game 4 is the fluke and the C's are the better team. Amazing transformation.

Re: How Perceptions Change
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 01:08:30 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Game 2's fourth quarter makes this even sweeter.  We finished off the historic comeback that the Lakers couldn't.

Tomorrow morning will be the first time that we don't have to defend ourselves after a win.  Finally we should get some respect.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 01:12:14 AM »

Offline tgreanier

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 154
  • The Patron Saint of Defense
And this is why I  (and others, but let me speak for myself) have gotten so frustrated I could tear my teeth out during the playoffs. There has never been a moment I did not think the team the Celtics were playing were inferior. Boston has always been the better team...and partly through some terrible play on their part and some, shall we say, questionable officiating there have been numerous times this championship run just felt doomed.

My perception of the Celtics has not changed one bit. They are the better team. My perception of the conspiracy has changed, however.

This is our year. It is about time.
Bleeding green for 36 37 years.
"Maybe we do suck. But at least we don't wear yellow."

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 01:14:32 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Game 2's fourth quarter makes this even sweeter.  We finished off the historic comeback that the Lakers couldn't.

Tomorrow morning will be the first time that we don't have to defend ourselves after a win.  Finally we should get some respect.

Yes, it's amazing how the series has been a mirror of itself:

Game 1 in boston:
close, hard fought, home team exectues down the stretch and wins

Game 2 in bosont:
boston dominates early, looks invincible, gives it away down the stretch to a tight game

game 3 in L.A.:
close, hard fought, home team executes down the stretch and wints

game 4 in L.A.:
L.A. dominates early, looks invincible, gives it away down the stretch to a tight game.

Amazing symmetry, but the recurring theme is that in each case, the C's were better than the Lakers in each game:

Game 1, Boston won by ten, but in game 3, L.A.'s close, hard fought victory, they only closed it out by seven.

Game 2, it came down to a 2 point lead, but boston was able to stem the comeback and win. In game 4, it again was a comeback to the wire, but this time the c's did the extra to complete the victory. So in all four games, the C's were better in each game than their counterpart did in the correlating games.

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 01:17:36 AM »

Offline bandonox

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 17
doc said postgame he doesn't believe they have played their best basketball yet....
pregame speech for sunday?
furbush.tumblr.com