Author Topic: Why people dislike Hollinger. Wade, greatest Finals performer ever.  (Read 5768 times)

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Re: Why people dislike Hollinger. Wade, greatest Finals performer ever.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 02:26:16 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
The NBA: Where D-Whistle happens.  ::)
God bless and good night!

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 02:30:10 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
And it's not even a strict PER ordering either...what the?

JOHNSON'S STATS (8)
Points per game: 26.2
Boards per game: 8.0
Assists per game: 13.0
PER: 28.2

or

BIRD'S STATS (29?!)
Points per game: 24.0
Boards per game: 9.7
Assists per game: 9.5
PER: 22.4

vs

WHISTLE'S STATS
Points per game: 34.7
Boards per game: 7.8
Steals per game: 2.7
PER: 33.8

pa-lease
God bless and good night!

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 02:31:14 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I think there is one key minor word change you need that makes it much more palpable...

He said "Greatest Finals PerformANCE".  Different than "Greatest Finals PerformER".  Huge different in Wade's case, as he's been to 1 finals.  But his near 35 point, 8 rebound, 4 assist average in that series is obviously great.

Not sure it really surpasses Shaq in 2000, 2001, 2002; Jordan in 1991, 1992, 1993; Duncan in 2003; Kareem in 1980; Hakeem in 1995; Bird in 1986... well, you get the idea.   

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 02:33:22 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I think the Ref's won that series for the heat.

I watched the series and was rooting for the heat, but there were a lot of ghost fouls in some pivotal moments. In my opinion the Mavs were clearly the better team. Wade is good, but not as good as he's being touted to be.

He was far funner to watch before Shaq came to the team. Back then he couldn't take 4 steps on every drive, and he played legit b-ball.

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 02:58:17 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
i wasn't surprised that dwyane wade was in there, i'd have that performance in the top 10 probably. but i was absolutely SHOCKED that larry bird wasn't in the top 10 (not even top 20!).

at least this isn't exactly hollinger's opinion, it's his stats (per) take on things which isn't always accurate - clearly, as his stats (per) said utah would waltz through the west.

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 03:26:08 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Wade got ridiculous benefit of the doubt for the last 4 games of that series, but I've never seen a player carry his team like that for so long in so many consecutive games in the Finals - Jordan and many others were better players but had better help - remember, Shaq scored in single digits in most of the Heat's Ws - the wins were basically entirely based on Wade's performance.

He almost certainly wouldn't've done nearly as well without the dubious officiating, but on strictly numbers alone, with no subjective analysis allowed, I agree with Hollinger. 

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 03:35:51 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Wade got ridiculous benefit of the doubt for the last 4 games of that series, but I've never seen a player carry his team like that for so long in so many consecutive games in the Finals - Jordan and many others were better players but had better help - remember, Shaq scored in single digits in most of the Heat's Ws - the wins were basically entirely based on Wade's performance.

He almost certainly wouldn't've done nearly as well without the dubious officiating, but on strictly numbers alone, with no subjective analysis allowed, I agree with Hollinger. 

it kinda begs the question, kobe or wade?

we'll see after these finals.

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 04:06:01 PM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187
PER is a bit of a flawed APBR-metric stat anyway because it only tangentially touches on defense, but even so I can't really be mad at the premise of this column.  No stat can reflect potential referee bias, so if one is trying to write an objective column without correcting for things like "bad calls" and "nostalgia", one could make a strong case for Wade being one of the better performances in NBA history.  Just think about it...

*Led team back to the title after being down 0-2 and a big fourth quarter deficit in game 3.

*Ridiculous stat line.

*Outdueled a player that was (at that time) getting into the argument for best player in the league.

He should have known (and probably did know) that this article wouldn't be especially well received, but I can see why he'd write it.

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 04:12:30 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
That's because the refs ignored every travel and carry by Wade.  He wouldn't score 15 ppg if they called all the illegal moves he does. ;D
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 04:22:22 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
That's because the refs ignored every travel and carry by Wade.  He wouldn't score 15 ppg if they called all the illegal moves he does. ;D

At least he'd still be in the game. Jordan would never have made it to halftime if the refs called offensive fouls for his patented push off with the shoulder jump shot. Ainge probably still has bruises on his chest from guarding MJ in the finals.

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 04:47:52 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
I think there is one key minor word change you need that makes it much more palpable...

He said "Greatest Finals PerformANCE".  Different than "Greatest Finals PerformER".  Huge different in Wade's case, as he's been to 1 finals.  But his near 35 point, 8 rebound, 4 assist average in that series is obviously great.

Not sure it really surpasses Shaq in 2000, 2001, 2002; Jordan in 1991, 1992, 1993; Duncan in 2003; Kareem in 1980; Hakeem in 1995; Bird in 1986... well, you get the idea.   
I was going to make this exact point - until I read your post. Naturally, I think it's a great point.

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 04:58:53 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
His PER stat is the square hole he jams every circle in sports into.

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 07:31:52 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
His PER stat is the square hole he jams every circle in sports into.

Kaboom, TP.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 07:42:50 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

bank shot are you implying that the little hesitation move he does where he turns the ball stright up might be a carry?  ;D
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion