Author Topic: Bad news: Referees for Game 4  (Read 14227 times)

Re: Bad news: Referees for Game 4
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 10:19:06 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Look, not to bang on anyone here but,

is anyone else getting a little tired of the complaining about officials before the game? 

We complained before game three.  But if the Celtics had just been average on offense, they would have won.

It is time for the players to play so well, the officials can not take the game away from them.  This team has all the talent it needs to do that.

Agreed.  It's tiresome.

Laker fans were coming on here using it as an excuse for Games 1 & 2 and then many Celtics fans were using the refs as a cop out before Game 3 even started.

At some point, it needs to be recognized that in the big picture, the refs can only play so much of a role and winning & losing does actually come down to what happens on the court.  Shooting, rebounding, defense, free throws, etc.....

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 10:20:30 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Look, not to bang on anyone here but,

is anyone else getting a little tired of the complaining about officials before the game? 

We complained before game three.  But if the Celtics had just been average on offense, they would have won.

It is time for the players to play so well, the officials can not take the game away from them.  This team has all the talent it needs to do that.

Agreed.  It's tiresome.

Laker fans were coming on here using it as an excuse for Games 1 & 2 and then many Celtics fans were using the refs as a cop out before Game 3 even started.

At some point, it needs to be recognized that in the big picture, the refs can only play so much of a role and winning & losing does actually come down to what happens on the court.  Shooting, rebounding, defense, free throws, etc.....

Agreed.  We got the calls in Game 2, the refs made up for it in Game 3.  We're on the up and up now, tonight should be an even officiated game.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 10:28:51 AM »

Offline Cassidy122690

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 18
I agree that the obsession with the refs is approaching pathological.  Even so, I've heard several times in the past couple years that Javie is widely regarded as the most popular and fairest ref by players and coaches.
Out of Ireland have we come, great hatred, little room, maimed us at the start. I carry from my mother's womb a fanatic heart.  W.B. Yeats

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 10:33:20 AM »

Offline Tommy Gun

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
The key for me is'nt the foul call disparity...To me its the the disparity on the quality of the fouls..A foul should be a foul on both ends of the floor..

So if one team is allowed to hack the other and get NO CALLs..Yet the other team gets called for tickey tack fouls that is the problem..

So yes LA got to the line more because they went to the hoop, but LA was also allowed to hammer the Celts and get away with it

This is a 2 fold problem
See, this is why I'm not allowed to announce NBA games -- I'd be talking in the Cookie Monster voice right now:

Ahhhhhhhhhh ... my knee hurts ... ahhhhhhhhhhhhh ... me don't like when my knee hurts ...

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 10:41:24 AM »

Offline bbc3341

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
In order to win by 5 we need to win by 10 if you know what I mean... this means KG, PP, and RA need to each score over 18 and someone else needs to Powedify themselves to a great game...
Now, on to 18...

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 10:49:32 AM »

Offline SamuelAdams

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
We overcame in Game 6 in Detroit.  We could have overcome in Game 3 in LA as well.  Maybe, that is what makes a team the NBA Champion.  You are so good, you can win over the obstacles in front of you.

I personally think Kobe was more aggressive because he KNEW he would be advantaged in game 3 calls. I wonder how Doneghy's latest court filings will effect the refs tonight.  Will they pull it back a little and try to be more neutral?

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 11:05:42 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
this actually looks like a pretty balanced crew to me.

i'm just happy offical one wasen't :palmer, violet.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2008, 11:07:23 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Kobe has three technicals in this series so far and Steve Javie is one of the shortest fuses when it comes to officials.

Maybe there is a hopeful trend developing here and the trains are about to collide.

This could work in our favor if not for those pesky memos Stern sent to the refs concerning the little-known "don't eject Kobe from the finals" rule...

If any of the Big 3 would have argued with the refs, like Kobe did in game 3, they would have gotten tossed.

What are you basing this on? When did one of our big 3 get tossed with 2 techs this season? Has Perk even been tossed with 2 techs? Perk never shuts up.

Just what I've saw on tv the other night compared to 20+ years of watching the NBA. On every call Kobe was so dramatic, almost showing up the refs. I think if Paul Pierce did that, he'd be ejected. But the Big 3 and Perk don't get tossed because after the 1st tech they behave. Kobe "Golden Boy" Bryant acts like a spoiled rich kid not getting his way. He knows the worst he will get is a warning.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2008, 11:22:12 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Kobe was indeed acting like an entitled spoiled brat.  But it's hard to give a technical for scowling and body language. It's usually the swearing that gets players into trouble.

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2008, 11:32:48 AM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
I'm tired of the difference in these games being the free throws - as is apparent from the stat line of each game: the team who shot the most free throws won.

Also: free throws are boring.

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2008, 11:36:19 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
I'm tired of the difference in these games being the free throws - as is apparent from the stat line of each game: the team who shot the most free throws won.

Also: free throws are boring.

there may have been a difference in free throw attempts in game three, but we could have overcome the difference if we actually made some more of our attempts. No excuse for that. Just because LA is choking at the free throw line doesn't mean we have to follow their lead.

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2008, 11:48:46 AM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
With the Feds now watching the NBA because of Donaghy's allegations,  I expect the refs to try to do their best.  The benefit of the doubt will always go to the home team, but if the Celtics come out aggressive and take it to the hoop early and often, they will get the calls. 

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2008, 11:53:47 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
With the Feds now watching the NBA because of Donaghy's allegations,  I expect the refs to try to do their best.  The benefit of the doubt will always go to the home team, but if the Celtics come out aggressive and take it to the hoop early and often, they will get the calls. 

Forget the feds, the entire country is watching the refs.  This series could be make or break for the leagues credibility with the public and their fans.

This was clearly well timed by Donaghy.

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2008, 11:54:02 AM »

Offline silvershamrocker

• Jaylen Brown
  • Believe In The Sleeve
You know, this makes me really disappointed. I want to watch a basketball game. I don't want to have to wonder if the refs will give LA all the calls and if the league is fixed or not. We worry more about the refs than about if we'll shoot better or if rondo's ankle is okay.  :P

"It will be fun watching the Lakers get those balloons down one at a time." - Bill Russell

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2008, 11:56:12 AM »

Offline silvershamrocker

• Jaylen Brown
  • Believe In The Sleeve

Forget the feds, the entire country is watching the refs.  This series could be make or break for the leagues credibility with the public and their fans.

This was clearly well timed by Donaghy.

Yep. So let them play, and may the better team win!

"It will be fun watching the Lakers get those balloons down one at a time." - Bill Russell