Author Topic: Media Coverage of NBA Officiating  (Read 6192 times)

Media Coverage of NBA Officiating
« on: June 11, 2008, 02:10:48 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
Hi everyone,

I've posted before, but it's been awhile.

Last night's Donaghy allegations have brought me out of lurker mode. I'm very frustrated with the ongoing quality of media attention given to the quality of NBA officiating. I sent the below off to ESPN this morning (not that they're the only offender).

----------

I'd like to advise a criticism in regards to your ongoing NBA coverage.

Why - in the post-Tim Donaghy world of 2007 have we not seen real investigative and analytical journalism from ESPN on the quality of NBA refereeing? Especially because the Donaghy scandal followed on the heels of Joey Crawford being suspended for a clear bias against Tim Duncan/the Spurs? How does that NOT prompt an investigation?

And yet - here we are, a year later and this giant elephant in the room continues to be given the skimpiest of focus, fans continue to see things with their own eyes that the media can't or won't discuss in-depth, Joey Crawford is refereeing in the finals, and Donaghy is intimating what anyone who watches the games has long worried about - that the refs and/or the league aren't on the up and up. Does Donaghy have a credibility issue? Sure. But do most people believe him? Check your own poll. The results are clear.

If I was the sports editor of ESPN, I'd be rounding up my best reporters and assigning them to DIG into this story, to grill David Stern, challenge his pat answers with tough followup questions and get the NBA Referees Union on-record. I'd be all over this.

I'd have my reporters going back over game tapes from 2002 and 2005, and I'd be ensuring the truth comes out. Is the NBA just the WWE with a glossier finish?

Could I please have a comment/response from ESPN on this? It's an ongoing source of frustration to this former journalist that you haven't, in my opinion, lived up to your responsibilities.

--------------

It's not that I'm a paranoid maniac re: games being fixed and so forth but a good journalist shouldn't dismiss it out of hand before investigating thoroughly. And that hasn't happened yet.

Any thoughts?

FG/.

Re: Media Coverage of NBA Officiating
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 02:23:56 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

For one thing, if espn brings the integrity of the nba and it's officials into question, it will greatly devalue a product that they (and abc) have spent some serious cash on.

Needs to be considered...

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 02:31:29 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney

For one thing, if espn brings the integrity of the nba and it's officials into question, it will greatly devalue a product that they (and abc) have spent some serious cash on.

Not if they're journalists.

FG/.

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 02:36:46 PM »

Offline TerreHaute

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 38
I am certainly not going to question the integrity of the NBA officials I don't even know. An in-depth investigation by an unbiased news reporter isn't a bad idea, however.

That said, officiating in the NBA is a joke. As a former high school coach, I would recommend my players not watch the games. The things that are allowed to happen (both contact and violations) are not basketball. I understand that calls could be made on every possession, but don't you think players would adjust if the rule book was actually followed.

The last two games were hard for me to watch, only because the officiating stunk. The Celtics got a ton of breaks in game 2, then things turn completely around in game 3. These are the best athletes in the world. Making them play by the real rules would make for the most exciting form of basketball I can imagine watching.

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 03:16:01 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
I am certainly not going to question the integrity of the NBA officials I don't even know. An in-depth investigation by an unbiased news reporter isn't a bad idea, however.

That said, officiating in the NBA is a joke. As a former high school coach, I would recommend my players not watch the games. The things that are allowed to happen (both contact and violations) are not basketball. I understand that calls could be made on every possession, but don't you think players would adjust if the rule book was actually followed.

The last two games were hard for me to watch, only because the officiating stunk. The Celtics got a ton of breaks in game 2, then things turn completely around in game 3. These are the best athletes in the world. Making them play by the real rules would make for the most exciting form of basketball I can imagine watching.

Your last line is totally true. The adjustment period might be uncomfortable. But it would be just that.

Also, I love the idea of a referee organization independent of the NBA.

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 03:21:17 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Hi everyone,

Last night's Donaghy allegations have brought me out of lurker mode. I'm very frustrated with the ongoing quality of media attention given to the quality of NBA officiating. I sent the below off to ESPN this morning (not that they're the only offender).

----------

Why - in the post-Tim Donaghy world of 2007 have we not seen real investigative and analytical journalism from ESPN on the quality of NBA refereeing? Especially because the Donaghy scandal followed on the heels of Joey Crawford being suspended for a clear bias against Tim Duncan/the Spurs? How does that NOT prompt an investigation?

And yet - here we are, a year later and this giant elephant in the room continues to be given the skimpiest of focus, fans continue to see things with their own eyes that the media can't or won't discuss in-depth, Joey Crawford is refereeing in the finals, and Donaghy is intimating what anyone who watches the games has long worried about - that the refs and/or the league aren't on the up and up. Does Donaghy have a credibility issue? Sure. But do most people believe him? Check your own poll. The results are clear.

If I was the sports editor of ESPN, I'd be rounding up my best reporters and assigning them to DIG into this story, to grill David Stern, challenge his pat answers with tough followup questions and get the NBA Referees Union on-record. I'd be all over this.

I'd have my reporters going back over game tapes from 2002 and 2005, and I'd be ensuring the truth comes out. Is the NBA just the WWE with a glossier finish?

Could I please have a comment/response from ESPN on this? It's an ongoing source of frustration to this former journalist that you haven't, in my opinion, lived up to your responsibilities.

--------------

It's not that I'm a paranoid maniac re: games being fixed and so forth but a good journalist shouldn't dismiss it out of hand before investigating thoroughly. And that hasn't happened yet.

Any thoughts?

FG/.

yea, if they were honest with you, here there response.

"dear concerned reader,

as you may be aware, we have a lucrative TV deal in place with the NBA. Therfore, it is against our best intrests to report on this matter in a negitive light, least we lose some of our games to TNT. We here at the world wide leader are sure you understand. rest assured, if a local reporter breaks such a story, we will report it and then ignore it.

regards,

ESPN"
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 03:24:05 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
Hi everyone,

----------

--------------

Any thoughts?

FG/.

yea, if they were honest with you, here there response.

"dear concerned reader,

as you may be aware, we have a lucrative TV deal in place with the NBA. Therfore, it is against our best intrests to report on this matter in a negitive light, least we lose some of our games to TNT. We here at the world wide leader are sure you understand. rest assured, if a local reporter breaks such a story, we will report it and then ignore it.

regards,

ESPN"

*laughs*

Tommy point for you on that one.

I share your cynicism. But I wish I didn't.

FG/.

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 03:31:30 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235

FG/.

There are no journalists who work for ESPN.

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 03:32:08 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

FG/.

Even if there wasn't a huge conflict of interest involved I'd have a hard time expecting true journalism from espn.

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 03:36:42 PM »

Offline ReadyFor17

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 44
  • The shortest answer is doing the thing
ESPN has no credibility. This is the same discussion as a year ago when the steroids in baseball story was blown up - but not because of the work of reporters. They have no interest in real journalism, it's all about "Who's Now??!!?!?!" Instead of trying to dig into the story, half of ESPN's reporters merely tossed the issue aside. 

I expect more of the same as it pertains to the Donaghy scandal. These guys have as many sources in the league as anyone but refuse to utilize them to uphold their journalistic responsibilities. Instead we get fluff pieces on Kobe's happy family life with his ugly kids and a quick dismissal of Donaghy from David Stern without any real questions.
"But man is not made for defeat. Man can be destroyed but not defeated."

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 03:40:57 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
ESPN has no credibility. This is the same discussion as a year ago when the steroids in baseball story was blown up - but not because of the work of reporters. They have no interest in real journalism, it's all about "Who's Now??!!?!?!" Instead of trying to dig into the story, half of ESPN's reporters merely tossed the issue aside. 

I expect more of the same as it pertains to the Donaghy scandal. These guys have as many sources in the league as anyone but refuse to utilize them to uphold their journalistic responsibilities. Instead we get fluff pieces on Kobe's happy family life with his ugly kids and a quick dismissal of Donaghy from David Stern without any real questions.

So what do you guys do if you want real journalism on the league? Who's doing it?

Or do you just accept that it's not out there? (no judgement implied).

FG/.

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 07:15:36 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

So what do you guys do if you want real journalism on the league? Who's doing it?

Or do you just accept that it's not out there? (no judgement implied).

FG/.

really only local guys in the big cities and beat writers, espn is now pretty much an entertainment channel, not a sports news channel.

thats a [dang] shame too, before they were good, now there so tangled up in promoting the interests of the leagues because they carry the games.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 07:30:49 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Anybody with Smith and Hill on staff has no credibility.

But if any station wants to broadcast the NBA, they're not going to weigh in affirmatively on this.

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 07:36:42 PM »

Offline earl

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
Didn't Tom Brady call ESPN MTV without the music videos, or something like that?  8) I think he's right.

I'm glad this is getting attention, but I do think it's the wrong kind. This is a perfect opportunity to force the NBA to address the poor/inconsistent officiating, but instead the attention is focused on the more sensationalist Donaghy story. The inconsistency game to game drives me nuts, but I really do not think these games are "fixed" in that sense.

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 07:43:44 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason

FG/.

You've solved your own conundrum.

ESPN/ABC/Disney is one of the biggest companies in the world.  They are about making money, not disseminating truth or objective commentary.
God bless and good night!