Author Topic: Official 2008 U.S. Open Thread  (Read 24334 times)

Official 2008 U.S. Open Thread
« on: June 10, 2008, 04:32:47 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I figure we gotta have some golfers in here?  I know the Open will take a big backstage to games 4 and 5 (if necessary - ha!), but I definitely plan on watching every minute of it that I can amidst working full days Thursday and Friday and a weekend that includes my brother's college graduation and Father's Day.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

Re: Official 2008 U.S. Open Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 05:10:57 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm wicked pumped that its at Torrey Pines this year.

One of my favorite golf courses.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 06:10:51 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.
I'm wicked pumped that its at Torrey Pines this year.

One of my favorite golf courses.

I'm eagerly anticipating its return to Pebble Beach in 2010 and The Olympic Club in 2012.  I hope to attend both.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 12:21:14 AM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.
US Open 2008 eve!

So who you got, Tiger or the Field?

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 12:24:21 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
US Open 2008 eve!

The field (maybe the hometown boy, Mickelson).  I have my doubts that Tiger is fully back to health and the US Open is one heckuva test for someone just coming back.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 12:26:06 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Can't believe I missed this one yesterday.  U.S. Open comes just behind the Masters for me as golf tournaments go, I can't wait.

I'm a HUGE Tiger fan, but for the first time in a few years, I would probably have to go with the field in this one.  This is a hard uphill climb for even the best of all time.  Even in golf injuries can be a big deal.  In fact golf might be the hardest of them all to get the touch back after being laid up.

Tiger does have some things going for him though.  After one of his knee surgeries he came back and blitzed the field at the Buick.  Also he has owned at Torrey Pines.  If he were 100% he could sleep walk through this week and win.

With that said I'm going to go with the field.  I'd like to see Phil finally get one after all his heart break in past Opens.  My sleeper for a good week is Stricker (If a top 10 player in the world can be a sleeper, I say that if Tiger is in the field he can be).  I expect a top 5 out of him.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 12:30:29 AM »

Offline pslakerfan

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9
  • Beware the beast in '09....Andrew Bynum
Finally something we can all agree on.  Can't wait for the Open.  I am only 2 hours away, but tickets are outrageous so I am watching at home, but it should be fun.

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 12:32:03 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Let's Go Celtics
Finally something we can all agree on.  Can't wait for the Open.  I am only 2 hours away, but tickets are outrageous so I am watching at home, but it should be fun.

Touche, who you got winning it this year?
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 12:37:43 AM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.

My best friend won the ultimate package in the US Open ticket lottery. (In case you didn't know, you have to enter a lottery to even with the right to buy tickets to the open).  He's been there since yesterday morning and is staying til the end.

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 12:41:43 AM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.
US Open 2008 eve!

The field (maybe the hometown boy, Mickelson).  I have my doubts that Tiger is fully back to health and the US Open is one heckuva test for someone just coming back.

Nay, the hometown boy this week is Pat Perez.  Went to Torrey Pines HS and estimates that he's played over 1,000 rounds there.

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 12:48:18 AM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.

Outside of Tiger and Phil...

I'll take Stewart Cink from the big names and Ryuji Imada as my darkhorse.

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 01:03:37 AM »

Offline pslakerfan

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9
  • Beware the beast in '09....Andrew Bynum

Well outside of Phil and Tiger, duh, I would say I like Furyk.  He has won before and I don't think he will buckle under the pressure.  Of course I will take Tiger or Phil first.

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 11:06:19 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Let's Go Celtics
The group of the day is on the first tee, this should be fun.

Biggest news so far, Phil playing with no driver in the bag, he has an 11.5 lofted 3 wood.

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 11:18:09 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Let's Go Celtics
18 minutes into the coverage and only 5 golf shots have been shown.  Good stuff ESPN.

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 11:22:16 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I love the way they did the pairings this year.  I don't know why it took so long to do this, but it makes it so much more interesting when you have the top ranked players playing together.  It also helps to make it more of a fair fight for them, because the best players are all playing on the same conditions, instead of one teeing off at 8am, and one at 2pm, when conditions could be very different, creating an unfair advantage to one of them.