Poll

Which city has the most annoying / obnoxious fans?

Los Angeles (Lakers, etc.)
16 (53.3%)
New York (Yankees, etc.)
9 (30%)
Philadelphia (Eagles, etc.)
1 (3.3%)
Indianapolis (Colts, etc.)
1 (3.3%)
Boston (Red Sox,  etc.)
3 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Which city has the most obnoxious fans?  (Read 7487 times)

Which city has the most obnoxious fans?
« on: June 10, 2008, 04:18:40 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Preliminarily, apologies to any Lakers fans on this blog who may be offended by this.  It's not aimed at you (other than the dozens of trolls we've banned over the past week).  That being said:

I have to say, unequivocally, that Lakers fans have proven to be the whiniest set of fans I have ever met.  I have never met such an excuse-making fan base, and I live directly in between New York and Philadelphia.  I know a ton of Yankees fans, and a bunch of Philly ones, and while both groups have their obnoxious moments, they're willing to listen to reason once in awhile.

Lakers fans...  I don't know.  The folks over at forumblueandgold.com seem okay, at times.  However, they don't seem to be indicative of the majority of Lakers fans.  While I hate broad stereotypes, reading the various Lakers blogs and forums across the internet has shown that Lakers fans are some of the nastiest, vilest, most reprobate pieces of trash on this planet.  And I say that not as a personal attack, or to "rally the troops", but as a simple statement of fact.  They're whiny, they're nasty, they're arrogant, and they're front-runners.  Oh, and they've got no compunction about beating a guy down, 9-on-1, while other Lakers fans cheer about how brave they are.

Your team lost, guys.  Deal with it, and quit making excuses.  Maybe instead of lamenting how bad you have it, you can face the reality that you were gifted a place in the NBA Finals by a farcical "trade", and some dubious officiating.  Instead of whining about NBA conspiracies at this point, maybe you want to talk about the very real weaknesses that you team has.

People say that Boston fans are the most annoying in sports, and I'll say, objectively, that we can be as obnoxious as any fan base...  other than LA.  What a bunch of whiny losers. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: Which city has the most obnoxious fans?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 04:24:14 PM »

Offline Section 87

• NCE
  • Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 56
Has the ban on trolling been repealed?

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 04:25:09 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Man I completely agree with you.  I'm 25 years old so I don't really have memories of the mid 80s or the fanbases.  I came into this series not really expecting much.   I hated Detroit and expected to hate Detroit fans.  Detroit fans were actually pretty reasonable...    I came into this series expecting the same from the Laker fans.

MY GOD... what a bunch of whiney little crybabies.  WHAAAA WHAAAA... it's literally excuse after excuse after excuse.  Unbelievable. 

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 04:25:48 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
NYY fans were obnoxious, but only because they were winning in my face, and the Red Sox never won. Now that we got the 1918 thing off our backs, everything feel a lot better, and actually most of the NYY fans are okay. Norte Dame fans are clearly awful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0Y7yjxJVlc

(Removed the embed.)

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 04:28:13 PM »

Online angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 591
You left out Viking fans. Man I can't stand them and its only going to get worse here in wisconsin as peterson gets better and better >:(
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 04:31:28 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Has the ban on trolling been repealed?

No, why?  The few remaining Lakers fans on here have behaved themselves. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 04:37:41 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Interesting call.

Throughout this playoff season, in regards to teams the Celtics have faced, Lakers fans have by far been the most obnoxious in person.  Many Lakers fans in attendance at Game Two were loud and boaEdited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.l at the start but by the start of the 4th quarter, many had left (or been ejected).  To me, that more reflects some "frontrunner-ness" but comes off obnoxious in my book.

Tough call to make regarding Boston sports fans since I am one and live in the area.  So I don't see the backlash that many others see in other parts of the country.  One thing I do know is that winning 2 World Series, 3 Super Bowls, and hopefully closing in on an NBA CHampionship, has seemed to create a sense of entitlement, even pompousness among some Boston sports fans this decade.  That definitely rubs people the wrong way.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 04:44:10 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I find the most annoying fans are the ones not in the city.

Cowboy fans.  very bad.  'I fell in love with the star.'  Bull. 
Laker fans.  very bad. 

The worst fan, the person that jumped on the Cowboy/Laker/Yankee bandwagon. 

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 04:53:20 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
I have to go Lakers if for no other reason than all those "beautiful people" that they feel compelled to show us at the games. A bunch of fair weather fans, most of whom haven't attended a game in years. Makes my stomach hurt.

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 04:57:36 PM »

Offline johnnymost

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 4
  • This year
Miami fans. Apathetic, unknowledgeable, arrive late, leave early. I went to a game once in Miami. The Heat were winning, and everyone was bored, not cheering, not involved.

I actually like Philadelphia fans, because you take your life in your hands when you go to see a game. Makes the experience that much more interesting and rich.
No more waiting

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 05:03:06 PM »

Offline kgiessler

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 96
Until I see another fan base boo their own team in the conference finals, I'm going to have to go with Detroit.

LA fans are being obnoxious right now because they are driven by the media, and even worse, the coach and star player of their team.  BUT at least they are behind their guys and not down on them.  Jackson caused this...not the LA fans.
"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain and most fools do."¯ - Franklin

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 05:10:52 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I would have to argue Yankees fans circa 2000.  I remember how half of Fenway Park would be full of Yankees fans chanting various annoying things ("Hip Hip.... Jorge!" whenever Posada was at bat, for example).  Of course, they are a little sullen these days, but i just know it lurks beneath the surface!

I am of course annoyed by all things Lakers right now, but they are merely in second place.  If the unthinkable happens, I won't even say what that is, but if it happens then Lakers fans will take top place.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 05:14:03 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Tommy point for Hobbs on his great rant on the Laker fans...Not that he needs anymore!!!

Amen.

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 05:26:40 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
Out-of-city bandwagoners are by far the worst, I'd have to agree.

I'm going to throw in an honorable mention for Ohio State Football fans.  They are all the equivelant of the "pinkhatters", except they are far more combative and rabid.

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 05:35:55 PM »

Offline Norcalceltic

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
I find the most annoying fans are the ones not in the city.

Cowboy fans.  very bad.  'I fell in love with the star.'  Bull. 
Laker fans.  very bad. 

The worst fan, the person that jumped on the Cowboy/Laker/Yankee bandwagon. 

Cowboy/Laker/Yankee Fans= Axis of Evil. I get great joy whenever these teams lose.