Author Topic: Is the Staples Center a Country Club?  (Read 1934 times)

Is the Staples Center a Country Club?
« on: June 10, 2008, 01:08:38 PM »

Offline payjo

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
I was listening to an interview with Marc Spears on WEEI today and he compared the Staples Center to a country club and said "it was a very nice place to play" in comparison to the Palace. Anyone actually KNOW if it's a tough/easy place to play in comparison to what the Celtics saw in Detroit?

Re: Is the Staples Center a Country Club?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 01:10:33 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The bottom is filled with Celebs and people wanting to be important.

The bottom of detroit is filled with die hards. 

Detroit is a tougher crowd.  Tougher venue

Especially with so many Celtics have connections there.  This is Cassel home court the past three years.

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 04:18:06 PM »

Offline Discoflux

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 22
No spikes in the Stapler

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 04:40:41 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
The bottom is filled with Celebs and people wanting to be important.

The bottom of detroit is filled with die hards. 

Detroit is a tougher crowd.  Tougher venue

Especially with so many Celtics have connections there.  This is Cassel home court the past three years.

And KG lives in Malibu with the offseason.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 04:59:28 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
The Detroit crowd was pretty weak in my opinion. I have been to a few Celtics-Lakers games in LA. I actually find the Lakers fans to be generally loud, well-informed, intelligent and extremely supportive. (Think about it, does any team's fan base defend/support their star as much as Laker fans do Kobe?) Not quite as much hostility as Detroit maybe, but hostile enough, especially at the right times.

That said, I think we will be better on the road in this series compared to previous ones for a number of reasons:

1) Pierce plays extremely well in LA.

2) This has been Cassell's home court for the two and a half years before he came to Boston - hopefully he won't miss every shot like he seemed to in every other road playoff game.

3) Ray Allen is back to throw daggers when we need to quiet a crowd or stop a run.

Still, it will really be about whether the Lakers step their game up at home. If we keep doing what we're doing, we'll be okay, but the Lakers may be able to perform better than they have, and the home crowd might push them toward that.
Go Celtics.