Author Topic: What are our chances of stealing Game 3  (Read 11552 times)

Re: What are our chances of stealing Game 3
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 11:48:55 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 538
Expect foul trouble, so the bench needs to be ready to play more than usual. I see the C's defensive aggressiveness being severely punished and I see Kobe going for at least 35. 

To me, the key to staying in the game rests with the bench.  They've been inconsistent throughout the playoffs -- especially on the road and everything to me is pointing to a 10+ pt Laker win.

I expect the Lakers to jump out to a big lead and it's going to be up to the C's to adopt a grind it out mentality, get the game close, stay within range and hope Pierce or Ray Allen can go off at the end and steal it.

I don't see them winning.  But if they somehow pull this one off, get the brooms out.  ;)

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 11:51:56 AM »

Offline sk7326

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 24
Celts can do it ... it will be tough.  But I am convinced we got the better team here.  Nothing they do will be tougher than overcoming Detroit in Game 6 the way they did, with the worst call of all time occuring in the middle of it.  Keep driving it to the basket and taking good shots generally, and they will be in a position to win it late.

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 11:52:50 AM »

Offline kamakawiwaole

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 23
yea i think we will win it.  paul pierce in LA, & the celtics clearly thrive against better competition.  for some reason i can understand us losing on the road in atlanta and cleveland, but not as surprised to see them beat detroit on the road or LA tonight

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2008, 12:22:32 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I rewatched Game 2 last night(really bad TV night without the C's and Sox) and I have thought about it a lot this morning and I have decided to change my mind about how this series is going to go.

originally I thought the two teams contrasted each other very well and that it would make for a long tough series. I just don't see it that way anymore.

They say that when truly good teams play each other that is extremely difficult for one team to beat another team 3 games in a row. But through 7 1/2 quarters of basketball the Celtics have totally dominated the Lakers. And now they have beaten the Lakers four straight times this year.

If the Lakers were truly as good as the pundits are saying doesn't the old adage say that they should have beaten the Celtics at least once in those four games? Just once!

I would assume so. But they haven't. And aside from a very lopsided last 6 minutes of game 2 where the Celtics decided to go celebrate and get on the plane out to LA early, the Celtics have dominated the Lakers in every facet of the game in every game they have played them this year.

So either LA just isn't that good or the Celtics are the perfectly built to to exploit the Lakers weaknesses. Either way, my mind has changed.

Not only do I think the Celtics stand an excellent chance of winning this evening, I think it could be a sweep.

Until the Lakers prove to me that they can beat the Celtics, and through four games that hasn't happened, then I don't think this series is coming home.

Look for another Boston championship to be initially celebrated out of town.

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2008, 12:38:43 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Agree with Kuberski33.  This is a must win for the Lakers, and I expect the officials to bend over backwards on their behalf.  This is going to be a Laker parade to the foul line.

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2008, 12:42:35 PM »

Offline YouGotRondo d

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
1st quarter tonight is gonna be crucial.

Some things I'm looking for:
-How is our fast break? Celts offense plays best out in transition. All the Lakers missed shots and lack of rebounding thus far have translated into a lot of transition points. But I assume the Lakers will be a lot more physical (boards, Defense) tonight with the likely officiating advantage.If they are making shots and rebounding, transition defense will be a lot easier. We will have to run more
set plays, IMO, which has not been a strength for us, especially in road playoff games.

-Are we establishing the post? In a game certain to be physical, I see it as very important to establish KG and the post game. Ray won't be able to get much separation with Kobe wrapped around his waist, and I would imagine that they are going to try to take away Pierce's opportunities to get in the lane. IMO, a lot of early stuff for KG and some early minutes for Leon. Our shots should be more from kickouts in this type of game.

-Rondo. No ones talking about this, but how about the job he did in the 2nd half getting in the lane and making decisions?Even in a game where the Lakers' will probably be allowed to play streetball defense, I think we need to run a lot of pick and roll early, with it being Rondo's option to either: drive to the bucket, dump it down to Perk, or kick out for looks from KG, Ray and Paul. Rondo needs to step up early and often.

I feel like tonight it's going to be very difficult to take the W, barring some sort of breakout performance, but with execution and defense I don't see why they couldn't. Best of luck to the C's tonight, and lets hope they can overcome some shady officiating.

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2008, 12:50:52 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Also, the Lakers could let up thinking they are going to be awarded Game 3. Wouldn't that be funny!

That would be great!

I live in California and I have had three friends who know I am a Celtic fan come up to me today and ask if I am even going to bother watching the game because the outcome is already predetermined (in the Lakers favor).  They aren't saying that to taunt me, they aren't even b-ball fans.  Like the rest of the nation they are of the perception that the game will be called for the Lakers tonight.  Memo to David Stern: you have a problem.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2008, 01:15:04 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
1. First and foremost, I agree that the big three are like sharks with the smell of blood in the water at this point. The closer they get to this thing, the more they're going to go after it.

2. Kobe will be big, but I predict his teammates will shrink in this game. Too much pressure, too much assumption that they'll win, lack of belief that they can win. This will be especially true if they start slow and Kobe gets frustrated early.

Boston can definitely win this one. 

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2008, 01:26:42 PM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
The Celts have shown let downs in the prior series and it seems to be in unison when it happens.

I personally think the Celts can win tonite but won't. The Media definitely have over reached for the Lakers in this series. The Celts are just plain better. Doc to my astonishment has done great.

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2008, 01:37:04 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
From either side of the table it absolutely sucks how much of a predisposition of opinions the officiating has caused amongst the NBA's fan base.
Yup

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2008, 01:43:58 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
Personally, ref bias or not, I think we've only got about a 20% chance.  Lakers SHOULD play more aggressively and more up tempo at home.  They'll also be playing as if it's a must win.

We can absolutely win this.  By I'm sticking with my prediction of winning games 1, 2, 4, 6.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2008, 02:11:19 PM »

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 163
From either side of the table it absolutely sucks how much of a predisposition of opinions the officiating has caused amongst the NBA's fan base.

such a good point. it also speaks volumes about how important it is to complain in the media. when the c's were getting the shaft in the ATL series, i did not hear any player or coach say a word. but it happens to the lakers, and kobe and phil complain in the media, and all of a suddedn everyone assumed they would throw bennett salvadore out to LA (check) and the lakers would be put in a favorable position to win (has not happened yet, but i would bet my paul pierce bobblehead it will happen). it encourages complaining in the press.

BTW, everyone assumed that PJ would be fined, but the NBA announced yesterday there would be no fine. which amazes me. #1, he deserves a fine. #2, if he did nothing wrong, why have an announcement. all i know is that if pierce and doc had said these things, stern may have denied them admission to the staples center for games 3-5.

yes stern, you have a problem. stop worrying about dress codes, which basketball to use, tv times, signals paul pierce made to Al horford, and address the officiating in this league.
"Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider, huh?"

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2008, 02:17:46 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Bringing up the free through discrepancy in the Atlanta series, is a good analogy for game 2.

- Most refs will give an advantage to the home team
- Most refs will reward the aggressor
- Also, Atlanta had bigger, stronger, faster players that frustrated Boston, and Atlanta had an edge (they just couldn't shoot). Now Boston has bigger, stronger, faster players when compared to LA.

The Lakers will take game 3 due to home court, LA's pride, Boston's complacency. After that they are in trouble.

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2008, 02:19:40 PM »

Offline fugazzi24

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 17
I think we have a 50% chance to win tonight.  All we need is Kobe to become Selfish Kobe take 30+ shots.  There is a good chance he shoots them out of tonights game and Odom goes MIA for the rest of the series after Kobe loses his mind.

The key to tonights game is Kobes composure, when the Celtics make their run and they will.  Can Kobe be the team first leader or will he be the selfish gunslinger.  Will Kobe play like MJ or Isiah Rider?

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2008, 02:21:51 PM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible
Joey Crawford, Bennett Salvatore, and Mark Wunderlich. Enough said.

Kidding, but I expect the Celtics to have a really tough time tonight in all honesty. With that said, I'll be cheering them on as hard as ever, and I believe that we CAN do it.

BEAT LA!
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/