Author Topic: What are our chances of stealing Game 3  (Read 11499 times)

What are our chances of stealing Game 3
« on: June 10, 2008, 10:49:41 AM »

Offline celtpinoy

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8
  • BEAT LA
what are our chances of stealing game 3 tomorrow?

it would be so dreamy if we can get a win on game 3...but from the likes of it ..the FAKERS ..i mean the Lakers would definitely try to guard their home games...

winning the first 2 games is great...but now looking towards game 3...you suddenly entertain some doubts...not because our team is weak...but the ODDS are against us.....aside from shortening the series (less ticket sales).. am sure the bets are all in favor of the lakers winning...

am i alone in thinking this way...or am I just paranoid....tsk tsk... ???

Re: What are our chances of stealing Game 3
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 10:52:01 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
It depends on a few things.

1) the Celtics need to play on the road like they did in Detroit, not Cleveland and Atlanta

2) how tight the official call the game.  If it is much tighter then it has been, it takes away a lot of what the Celtics defense has been doing.

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 10:58:32 AM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29
I think tonight we will see about 9 men dressed in green playing the hardest game of their lives, that is until Thursday night's game. I think chances are much better than people are perceiving.

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 11:04:27 AM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29
Also, the Lakers could let up thinking they are going to be awarded Game 3. Wouldn't that be funny!

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 11:05:49 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
I actually like our chances better tonight then on Thursday. Short days rest between games, long flight back to LA for both teams. Both teams should be a bit tired but the difference is that we our a confident group, fresh off 2 wins and the not so distant memory of our team coming together 2 times on the road vs. The Pistons(whose D is much superior to the Lakers). Plus, PP is getting homecooking and loves to play in LA and doesn't KG have his home in Malibu as well?

Get on them early if possible and keep our composure if they do jump out early on us...if we can keep it close or even better yet, take the lead early, watch the Lakers fans turn into Librarians and see how quickly the Silence of the Lakers Staples Center occurs.

Go Celtics, Lets put the Lakers on the brink of elimination tonight and take one more step towards Greatness!

And for all Celtics fans who are braving the elements in LA, win with class and watch what you say

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 11:11:51 AM »

Offline NicaraguanFan

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 28
I think our chances are good. We won not once but twice against Detroit. The players now know how to win on the road in playoffs.

#18 is coming...

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 11:16:40 AM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
I predict a game that will look more like game 3 in Cleveland more than game 3 in Detroit.

The Celts need just one in LA and I do not think it will be tonight.

(hope I am wrong)
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 11:17:03 AM »

Offline ram

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
I expect the Lakers to go small with Rad playing the 4 and Vujacic playing the 3 (and Farmar playing more if Fisher doesn't get off to a good start). I think the Lakers are going to try to spread the floor and shoot 3s to open the middle up to Kobe (a la the 4th quarter of Sunday). Gasol down low, Rad, Farmar or Fisher and Vujacic on the perimetr with Kobe at the top of the key. Longer shots = longer rebounds which = better chance for Lakers to get some 2nd chance points.

The officials are going to have quick whistles on the Celts' defensive end. Perk, Rondo, Powe and Posey, in particular, are going to get quick whistles. It will be imperative to stay out of foul trouble without getting too far behind.

Game 3 will be the hardest of the series for the Celts.

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 11:17:12 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590
I am preparing for a loss to be honost. That being said, I do believe we have a chance but we need a few things
1. KG has to make those jump shots that he's been missing
2. PP has to put down 25+
3. We have to force the refs to put us at the line by going to the basket as much as LA is going to.
4. We have to match their intensity.

If we do these then I believe we can win. But it's a big hill to climb when your up 2-0 going to the other teams house.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 11:18:15 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
I don't think they're good.  We'll have a tremendous amount of things to overcome.  It will definitely be 8 vs. 5, we've all already accepted that.  Kobe is due for a great game, we are a great defensive team, and we did shut down LeBron and have limited Kobe to this point.  However in a 7 game series a great player will solve a great defense at least once, just like LeBron did in Game 7. 

We do have things going for us though.  We are 4-0 against the Lakers this season.  For most of the playoffs we've been on the bad end of the FT differential so we'll be used to that.  We won the game that LeBron went off, we can do it when Kobe goes off as well.  The home crowd in LA is nothing compared to a normal playoff or NBA Finals atmosphere.  They're late-arriving when the game starts at 7:30, when are they gonna show up when the game starts at 6? The fourth quarter?

Well I just talked myself into liking our chances a little better.  We still will have to play one of our best games of the year, but Paul, Ray, and KG can smell those rings, the Lakers will be desperate tonight, but so won't we.  We can make it 3-0 tonight, a chance for these great players ot be ONE GAME AWAY FROM THEIR DREAM.  I'm fired up, can't wait for this one to start.  Overcome it all, bring our game to another level, a championship level. 
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 11:34:43 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
If I had to put a number on it, i would say 40%.

I definitely think it is most likely that LA comes out desperate, and Kobe puts them on his shoulders to win.  However, I still think there is a chance that the C's come out and simply don't let it happen.  They have shown a different attitude since the Detroit series, and I wouldn't be surprised if they are embarrassed by the end of last game, and come out with a chip on their shoulder.  And I firmly believe that no matter where they are playing, the Celtics at their best will beat the Lakers at their best.

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 11:35:37 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
They're late-arriving when the game starts at 7:30, when are they gonna show up when the game starts at 6? The fourth quarter?

Don't fool yourself on this one.  This is the FINALS.  They will be there and they will be loud.  C's just have to tune it out.

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 11:38:28 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Actually, not just to be contrary, but I think the chances are good, for the simple fact that this is the game everyone expects the Lakers to win ... I love our chances going into a game where the opponent and the media, (and many Celtics fans, obviously), have the preconception that it's as good as won already. Pierce thrives in LA, and I think KG is due for a "big one" as well.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 11:38:58 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
We definitely have a shot.

I think the thing the Celtics need to do is come out right away and set the tone.  Get some easy baskets, take a quick lead, and try to get the crowd out of it.  That sends a message early that the Celtics mean business.  Best case scenario, the Lakers (already down 0-2) get a bit discouraged and the Celtics are able to hold on.

Worst case, Lakers jump out early and the crowd is into it.  If that happens, much like some road games in ATL & CLE, it'll be a long night.

IMO, the first 5 or 6 minutes of this game is essential.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 11:47:07 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
I like our chances, I guess. We are the better team, after all. I'm expecting Kobe to be Kobe and just shoot like 35 shots and then I expect Pierce to go off in his hometown.

If we just play our game, let Leon be aggressive and if the refs don't blatantly give the game to the Lakers, I still like our chances.