Author Topic: Game 2: Just the Number  (Read 9469 times)

Game 2: Just the Number
« on: June 10, 2008, 10:07:23 AM »

Offline seccom

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
Celtics 108, Lakers 102.

In term of scoring, the FG%, 3FG%, FT% all really does not matter in this game. The biggest different is FT attempt. We all know those numbers. There is no need repeat them.

In other stat, biggest edge for the Celtics is the assist number, 31-20 in favor of the Celtics. This is a really surprise for the Lakers team, since they are excellent passing team until the final. Clearly the Celtics defense had something to do it. But it also showed the Lakers were playing too much one on one basketball. Celtics also had an edge in shot blocking, 3 to 1.

In the game, however, Lakers did a good job in rebounding, with 1 more offensive rebound and 2 less defensive rebound. Lakers is also better in steal and turnover. Those stat usually favor the Celtics. Those stat, especially the steals, was probably how the Lakers went out a huge run in Q4.

Yesterday, in another thread, someone posted the Lakers-Jazz FT attempts number. Those stat are not quite the same of the Celtics-Lakers number since Jerry Sloan went for a lot of intentional fouls at the end of game. I don’t think any body keep stat on intentional fouls. However, I remember at least 2 games with at least 10 intentional fouls at the end of the game.

Cheers...

Re: Game 2: Just the Number
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 10:14:46 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
you neglect to mention that total fouls didnt have that much of a discrepancy, only 5 i belive. but you don't get shooting fouls when you play the mid range jump shooting game (see us in atlanta, where these numbers laker fans are fixating on instead of thier real problem of no interior defense are similar. one game where we shot jump shot after jump shot, they shot 42 FT's to our 22 i belive)

also, while the steal and turnover numbers are even, we turned you over 7 more times than your playoff average and converted all but one turnover into points.

LA's problem is simple, no interior defense. either odom and gasol step up for you guys or you lose. its really that simple. offensivly, your a very good team, but if your not going to play defense at all, ala games one and two, you'll lose if we marginaly slow you down.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 10:21:12 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Just the numbers only tell half the story.

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 10:29:04 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
The 43-16 disparity in the Jazz game was still 27-8 going into the fourth quarter, so even taking those intentional fouls out, it was a big difference, but I don't recall anyone making a big deal about that.

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 10:29:32 AM »

Offline seccom

• The Green Kornet

I disagree. The problem is: there is not enough number. The numbers were not detail enough. For example, if there are separate stats for intentional fouls, foul while go to basketball, foul for 3FG, they would give you a much better picture of the game.

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 10:32:44 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I disagree. The problem is: there is not enough number. The numbers were not detail enough. For example, if there are separate stats for intentional fouls, foul while go to basketball, foul for 3FG, they would give you a much better picture of the game.

Do the numbers show that the Celtics were the more aggressive team?

Do the numbers show that the Celtics were the more physical team?

Do the numbers show that the Celtics played defense with their feet while the Lakers played defense with their hands?

Do the number show how soft the lakers played?

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 10:41:50 AM »

Offline seccom

• The Green Kornet

Do the numbers show that the Celtics played defense with their feet while the Lakers played defense with their hands?

Wdleehi, it is up to you to come with the stat to support your point. For example, you can count shot in the paint or number of dunks. So the answer is yes.

All the terms that you uses such soft, physical, aggressive means different thing to different people.

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 10:44:56 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Wdleehi, it is up to you to come with the stat to support your point. For example, you can count shot in the paint or number of dunks. So the answer is yes.

All the terms that you uses such soft, physical, aggressive means different thing to different people.

Show the number that says the Celtics played defense with their feet.  Where the defender beat the Lakers to the spot creating contested shots.

Show the number that says the Lakers played defense with their hands.  Where the defender were late to the spot and reached. 

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 10:47:45 AM »

Offline seccom

• The Green Kornet

Show the number that says the Celtics played defense with their feet.  Where the defender beat the Lakers to the spot creating contested shots.

Show the number that says the Lakers played defense with their hands.  Where the defender were late to the spot and reached. 

I am sorry, your post is really going too far into deep end. Bye

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 10:50:18 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Meaning you can't show the numbers that show this. 

Stats are useful, but don't act like they are the end all be all in telling the story of the game.

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 10:51:16 AM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108

Truth hurts I guess.

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 10:53:03 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Truth hurts I guess.

He has certainly hurt the Lakers this year.   ;D

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 10:59:46 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Celtics 2, Lakers 0.

See, stats don't lie after all.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 11:04:35 AM »

Offline seccom

• The Green Kornet

Truth hurts I guess.

This thread started with the discuss about the stat of the game. At the end of the thread, truth hurts I guess. What is that means?

No matter how a thread a start, about whatever subject. At the end, it is always ended in Celtics are great, Lakers suck.

Both of you just to want to hear other team fan to tell you how great your team are.

I create this thread with the intention of creating a good conservation with the Celtics fan regarding the stat of Game 2.

However, it all ended this way. Celtics is great, Lakers suck.

OK. If that is what you want to hear:

Celtics is greatest team. Lakers suck... Is that the truth...

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 11:07:56 AM »

Offline seccom

• The Green Kornet

Celtics 2, Lakers 0.

See, stats don't lie after all.

Roy, based on your previous post, I hope you are better than. Celtics is great. Lakers suck.