Author Topic: What would you predict of this series if Bynum was here?  (Read 6718 times)

Re: What would you predict of this series if Bynum was here?
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 01:16:50 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
It seems to me that the Lakers would be easier for Boston with Bynum than without:

Perkins - Bynum
Garnett - Gasol
Pierce - Odom
Allen - Kobe
Rondo - Fisher

Boston would likely use both Allen and Pierce on Kobe, so Odom would sometimes have the advantage over Allen.  But with Bynum on the floor, Perkins would have a much more comfortable cover than he does when he has to cover Gasol.

Taking away the extra shooting makes it easier for the Celtics. 

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 01:21:46 PM »

Offline Truth Hurts

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
I guess I am in the minority here. I think Bynum would have made a big difference in their interior defense and ability to compete on the boards. I think we really need to win it this year, because a full season of Bynum and Gasol together at the 4 and 5 and this will be a much more well-rounded team next year.

It's pretty obvious that they can't contend with us in the middle right now. The strengths and weaknesses of the two teams are eerily similar to the 80s squads. Lakers are the finesse team that can score in bunches, and the Celts have the stronger front line.
"Odom drains another 16-footer. It's 24-7, Lakers. They look so possessed on both ends that they've earned at least five sitting ovations from the Lakers' crowd." - Simmons

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 01:29:28 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

If we win, the more interesting question is "do the Lakers think Bynum would have made a difference". Do they stand pat and come into next season with Bynum, or do they make changes to their roster to be able to compete with us? Do they need to pick up a defender who can at least slow Pierce down?

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2008, 01:32:01 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

If we win, the more interesting question is "do the Lakers think Bynum would have made a difference". Do they stand pat and come into next season with Bynum, or do they make changes to their roster to be able to compete with us? Do they need to pick up a defender who can at least slow Pierce down?

When the Celtics win, that will be the excuse from Laker fans for the next year and beyond.

Just like Phoenix fans with Amare and Diaw being to stupid to stay on the bench.

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2008, 01:33:50 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
If I remember, the Lakers were playing excellent ball with Bynum, who was himself playing excellent ball.  A 7 footer playing excellent ball?  I'm glad he's not around.

He definitely would have helped and they will be much better next year if Bynum comes back healthy.

This is certainly not a case of the addition of Bynum being a subtraction for the Lakers...and who knows what the results would have been?  Well, I for one don't know...

p.s.  I wish it were, but this series isn't over :o

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2008, 02:01:13 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
It's really hard to say whether Bynum would have made enough difference in Games 1 & 2.  Those games were actually closer than the final scores indicated.  If the Lakers just had slightly better defense, or even offense, they could have won Game 2.  They could have won Game 2 anyway.  Maybe just having an additional, physical big man could have made the difference.  But let's see how Game 3 plays out.  Maybe this time, their offense will be enough to win the game, despite our superior defense. 

that game wasen't that close. we had a mental fart up 24, and the lakers shot a ridculos three point percentage while we slacked off. (7/7!!! :o)

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2008, 02:31:33 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

When the Celtics win, that will be the excuse from Laker fans for the next year and beyond.

Just like Phoenix fans with Amare and Diaw being to stupid to stay on the bench.

Ahem...Celts would have swept through the first couple of rounds if we had

Yup

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2008, 02:46:15 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Ahem...Celts would have swept through the first couple of rounds if we had

Maybe they'd have swept the first few rounds if they'd threatened to bring him back looking like that...

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2008, 02:50:22 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
At this stage of Bynum's career, I actually think the Lakers would be easier to take. He's not mentally ready for the big time stage of the finals. He needs a nice playoff run to build experience. He mostly gets by on raw athletic ability and instinct. If he come back healthy, and keeps evolving, he could be a major weapon.

My money says: after he gets his big contract, he'll become Mark Blount 2.0 in the effort department.

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2008, 03:03:16 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Clearly Bynum would have improved them, if for no other reason than to make them one player deeper on the bench. Plus he is their only real shot-blocking threat.  Bynum was getting better each game before he went down. It is only fair to say the Lakers would be stronger considerably were he playing now.

Before this series started, I took us in 5 games. If Bynum were healthy, I would have taken us in 7 games.

Next year, let's be fair, the Lakers are going to be trouble. Will be interesting to see how quickly Portland develops into a contender, with Oden due back, and probably a trade in the offing to get a solid PG (TJ Ford?) to run their offense.

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2008, 03:19:19 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
while we're at it, i wonder how this series would play out if magic "i just had a bad case of the flu" johnson suited up?  ::)
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."