Author Topic: What would you predict of this series if Bynum was here?  (Read 6752 times)

What would you predict of this series if Bynum was here?
« on: June 10, 2008, 09:46:00 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
If Bynum was 100%, would he be enough to take this series to 7 in your opinion? I would say Celtics in 7, if he was available to play. The celtics would have to play hard all the time.

Re: What would you predict of this series if Bynum was here?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 09:50:37 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I think Bynum, right now, is way to overrated. He may be great in a few years, but he didn't help the lakers much when he played against us before and he wouldn't make much of a difference in this series. He would provide an inexperienced player that we could take advantage of. They are so lucky that they got Gasol.

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 09:52:42 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
none of us have any idea...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 09:54:43 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
none of us have any idea...

well, we will get our answer a year from now

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 09:59:40 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Celtics still win.  Perkins match up against him better.

KG on Gasol

Odom off the bench or at SF.  Either way, less minutes for shooters. 

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 10:01:23 AM »

Offline sk7326

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 24
It would help the Lakers in the one area where the Celts have killed them.  Driving the basket.  He gave them a shot blocker and a guy who actually would put one of our guys on his butt for driving the bucket.  Right now, the Celts have gotten to the cup with ridiculous ease -- that is why the offense has flowed so easily.

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 10:02:08 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
If Bynum was 100%, would he be enough to take this series to 7 in your opinion? I would say Celtics in 7, if he was available to play. The celtics would have to play hard all the time.

really? because he did jack and squat against perk this year. he got dominated both games.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 10:09:40 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I don't think it would make enough of a difference to change the outcome, (which we don't know yet). I predicted Boston in 4 or 5, and I wouldn't change that prediction if Bynum were playing. The Lakers are just so weak defensively, and the C's so much better defensively, that I think they're far out-matched.

No offense or superstar in the world can overcome a great defense like the Celts, (when they're on). As I've said before, this is up to the C's to win or lose, and how badly they want it. Whe they're playing their best, no one can beat them. How consistently they play well is the key.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 10:37:42 AM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29
With or without Bynum the Lakers have no business being in the Finals!

Chris Wallace handed them Gasol practically free of charge in hopes that helping the Lakers make it to the Finals against a great Celtics team would bolster the ratings and the League would award him the #1 pick in the lottery in return.

Maybe not. I don't know. Something is up there. I do know that if the Lakers were to win I would feel like lynching Chris Wallace.

Back to reality now:

The Lakers franchise player is a self centered, egotistical cry baby. Who happens to have a great deal of disrespect for the people surrounding him.

Phil Jackson himself said Odom doesn't have a clue out there.

Phil Jackson himself looks entirely confused.

They have a stereotypical soft and fragile European big guy.

And a bunch of marginal junk to coagulate with that.

The Spurs, Suns or Hornets would have been a much more formidable opponent. So why aren't they here? Because they had to play each other. The Lakers had just a mere Denver and Utah team to get through.

With the exception of Game 2's let up we have beat them 4 times this year and 3 of them have been double digits. It would be really nice to go 6-0 against the Lakers averaging a double digit defeat. And they are just futile enough to get that done.

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 10:51:17 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
As mentioned, it's impossible to tell.  In theory, Bynum really improves their interior defense and scoring.  Also, either VladRad or Odom would have moved to the bench, which improves that unit.

Inversely, we don't know how everyone would have meshed in terms of chemistry, and removing VladRad's shooting from the starting lineup could hurt them.  Neither VladRad or Odom can defend Pierce as a shooting guard, so there's still that issue.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 10:52:33 AM »

Offline TrueGreen

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
Perk has dominated Bynum in every game they have played. With Bynum on the floor where does Gasol play, probably power forward where he would be an easier guard for KG. Then where does that put Odom? I don't think having Bynum would make a difference in this series. The problem is that defense is a foreign word to the Lakers. The C's are doing well because of their defense. Despite great defense the Lakers are still capable of putting up alot of points, but the lack of defense by the Lakers makes it easier for the Celtics to put up alot of points if need be.

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 10:59:51 AM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101
Perk has dominated Bynum in every game they have played. With Bynum on the floor where does Gasol play, probably power forward where he would be an easier guard for KG. Then where does that put Odom? I don't think having Bynum would make a difference in this series. The problem is that defense is a foreign word to the Lakers. The C's are doing well because of their defense. Despite great defense the Lakers are still capable of putting up alot of points, but the lack of defense by the Lakers makes it easier for the Celtics to put up alot of points if need be.

Beauty. While you were typing that, I was looking for this:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/fc/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=perkike01&p2=bynuman01

Perk outplayed Bynum this year by a wide margin. Honestly, there is no reason to think Bynum is going to develop to the point where he is that much better than Perk in the next year or two. Beyond, that I think Bynum might. Meanwhile, we also have Rondo getting better.

We would have beaten LA this year even if they had Bynum. If the teams meet again next year, I don't think LA closes the gap much if at all. Beyond that, who knows?

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 11:17:31 AM »

Offline Barnabas

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 11
It's really hard to say whether Bynum would have made enough difference in Games 1 & 2.  Those games were actually closer than the final scores indicated.  If the Lakers just had slightly better defense, or even offense, they could have won Game 2.  They could have won Game 2 anyway.  Maybe just having an additional, physical big man could have made the difference.  But let's see how Game 3 plays out.  Maybe this time, their offense will be enough to win the game, despite our superior defense. 

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 11:22:20 AM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
It seems to me that the Lakers would be easier for Boston with Bynum than without:

Perkins - Bynum
Garnett - Gasol
Pierce - Odom
Allen - Kobe
Rondo - Fisher

Boston would likely use both Allen and Pierce on Kobe, so Odom would sometimes have the advantage over Allen.  But with Bynum on the floor, Perkins would have a much more comfortable cover than he does when he has to cover Gasol.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 12:18:52 PM »

Offline YouGotRondo d

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
Bynum would take pressure off of Pau to be the primary post option, giving him more room to go high post. This would probably increase Gasol' scoring, making the Lakers offense more dynamic.

Keep in mind, though, that the Laker's main issue seems to be toughness and I'm not sure that a 20 year old kid without playoff experience is going to bring the kind of intensity needed to bang with the likes of Perk and PJ.

My guess is that Bynum would provide a bit of rebounding help while creating more opportunities on offense for Pau, however, he is young and does not play physically enough to make a significant impact in this series.

IMO with Bynum, Celts in 6 -- Without, Celts in 5.

Beat LA!!