Author Topic: Coaching (baby)Carousel  (Read 1610 times)

Coaching (baby)Carousel
« on: June 10, 2008, 08:26:01 AM »

Offline Slugger

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
I know we are all caught up in the Finals hype (and rightfully so), but couldnt help noticing alot of the coaching changes happening around the league.

Firstly, we have Terry Porter announced as the new Suns Head Coach. Now i hear that Da Bulls are offering Vinny Del Negro the top job, and the Pistonians are considering Michael Curry as the man to lead Detroit.

We have seen a huge shift in the age and experience of head coaches in todays game compared to 5-10 years ago.

Why is it so?  Is it just coincidence?  Is it because todays players cant identify with or handle being coached by someone their fathers age?  Is it a reflection on society in general?  Is it because the younger coaches have fresher and more innovative approaches/methods?

Firstly, i rule out it being coincidence. 

I believe that the NBA is, and has been for quite a few years, a players league.  THe role of the head coach in todays game has changed in alot of respects.

No longer are head coaches shown or given the authority to run a team. Wins and losses and development are no longer the only priority.  A coach these days must treat their players with kid gloves.  If a coach musn't yell at his player.  A coach must use only constructive criticism.  Players can almost ruin a coaches career - look at what happened to Jim O'Brien in Philly.  Coaches/players in todays NBA feel they have to identify with each other (see Hubie Brown in Memphis)

Management of these teams will often side with the players because it is easier to appease 14 players than it is one coach.  There are too numerous occassions of this - one eg is PJ Carlisimo in Golden State.

On the other hand, perhaps older coaches are using strategies which have become out-dated (see Don Nelson).  Are they too stubborn to change their ways?  Are they incapable of changing with the way the game has changed?

Either way you look at it, i think the trend is definately there.  Amongst the 30 NBA teams, a majority of the coaches would be under 47 or so, with quite a few around 40 or under.  If you go back around 10 years ago, The only young coaches were Danny Ainge, Larry Legend, John Calipari, Tim Floyd and perhaps Flip Saunders.

The older statesmen were there.  Phil Jackson, Lenny Wilkens, Rick Adelman, Bernie Bickerstaff, Larry Brown, PJ Carlisimo, Don Casey, Dave Cowens, Chuck Daly, Mike Dunleavy, Chris Ford, Mike Fratello, Del Harris, Brian Hill, George Karl, Don Nelson, Rick Pitino, Gregg Popovich, Pat Riley, Paul Silas, Jerry Sloan, Rudy Tomjanovic and Lenny Wilkens.

Nowadays, there is Phil, Rick Adelman, Mike Dunleavy, George Karl, Obie, Sloan, Pop and Larry Brown.  And thats about it for the old guys.

Oh, and could a guy like Doc Rivers be credited for the trend of management going for the younger breed?

Re: Coaching (baby)Carousel
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 09:37:26 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Yet look at who won the last few titles

pop
Riley
Pop
Larry Brown
Pop
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson
Pop
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson
Rudy T
Rudy T
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson
Daily
Daily
Riley
Riley
KC Jones
Riley
KC Jones
Billy Cunningham

Experienced coaches have been winning. 

Doc will look like the odd one when the Celtics win.