Author Topic: Game 3 Ref Assignments (Merged)  (Read 11120 times)

Re: B. Salvatore is reffing game 3!!
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2008, 12:12:40 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 538
Even if the Lakers get the benefit of the doubt -- and they will -- the Celtics can still win this.

If I hadn't watched the 2nd half of Game 6 vs Detroit I would totally disagree with you.  But I think that 4th quarter elevated this team into a zone where it's definitely possible that they could win the NBA's equivalent of the EA Sports No F---in Way Game.

The Refs For Tonight(Game 3)
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2008, 05:28:21 PM »

Offline celtic4life

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
The NBA has posted the referee assignments for tonight's Game 3 of the NBA Finals in Los Angeles.

Official 1: Joey Crawford

In April 2007, NBA commissioner David Stern suspended Crawford for his conduct toward the Spurs' Tim Duncan. Crawford ejected Duncan from San Antonio's loss to the Mavericks after calling a second technical foul on the Spurs star while he was laughing on the bench. Duncan contended that Crawford challenged him to a fight.

The Celtics are 2-1 in '08 postseason games in which Crawford was part of the officiating crew.

Official 2: Bennett Salvatore  :(

Salvatore made a controversial call against Celtics captain Paul Pierce late in the third quarter of Game 6 of the Eastern Conference finals, when Pierce pumped faked Rodney Stuckey, leaned in, and hit a long three-pointer. But Salvatore called a charge on Pierce and a potential four-point play turned into a Detroit possession.

The Celtics are 3-2 in '08 postseason games in which Salvatore was part of the officiating crew.

Official 3: Mark Wunderlich

Wunderlich, along with Crawford and Joe Forte, was part of the three-man crew that did not call of foul on Lakers guard Derek Fisher for banging into San Antonio's Brent Barry on the final play of the Spurs� 93-91 loss in Game of Game 4 in the Western Conference finals. The NBA later admitted that it appears a foul should have been called on Fisher.

The Celtics are 1-2 in '08 postseason games in which Wunderlich was part of the officiating crew.

Re: Game 3 Ref Assignments (Merged)
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2008, 05:31:37 PM »

Offline ziggen

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 19
we might as well have the LAPD referee the game.
Hello World

« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2008, 05:51:08 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
I'm a little embarassed how far this has gotten. A lot of the people claiming "the NBA is trying to screw the Celtics" are the same people who, along with me, called out LakerLanny for "making excuses" before the game for why his team would lose. Seems awful hypocritical, I must say.

I agree some 50-50 calls will go the Lakers way and there will be a stretch (like the third quarter of Game 6 v. Detroit against us or the second quarter of Game 2 in our favor) where every call seems to go LA's way. Maybe that stretch will be at the very end of the game and we won't be able to overcome it. If that stretch happens before then, say in the second or third quarter, then to me, the Celtics will have no excuse. And until the game is played, and until the referees actually screw our team, there's no reason to make excuses.

We have to be ready for this game regardless of who's officiating, where we're playing or who we're playing. Against Detroit, we showed we could play through bad calls. That's all they are. Bad calls that are likely influenced to some degree by the crowd. The Lakers couldn't play through bad calls and got blown out (that "comeback" was nothing more than the Cs sleeping on the game) which, in my opinion, shows mental weakness. The Celtics, particularly Pierce, showed tremendous mental strength in Game 6 against Detroit. My hope is that carries over to tonight. If they fold because of bad calls, I will question them. If they get some bad calls, fight back, but still can't win, I'll give them credit for persevering and at least know they're mentally tough. But I'll make those decisions after I see the game, not, like LakerLanny, make an excuse beforehand.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2008, 06:30:13 PM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
I'm a little embarassed how far this has gotten. A lot of the people claiming "the NBA is trying to screw the Celtics" are the same people who, along with me, called out LakerLanny for "making excuses" before the game for why his team would lose. Seems awful hypocritical, I must say.

I agree some 50-50 calls will go the Lakers way and there will be a stretch (like the third quarter of Game 6 v. Detroit against us or the second quarter of Game 2 in our favor) where every call seems to go LA's way. Maybe that stretch will be at the very end of the game and we won't be able to overcome it. If that stretch happens before then, say in the second or third quarter, then to me, the Celtics will have no excuse. And until the game is played, and until the referees actually screw our team, there's no reason to make excuses.

We have to be ready for this game regardless of who's officiating, where we're playing or who we're playing. Against Detroit, we showed we could play through bad calls. That's all they are. Bad calls that are likely influenced to some degree by the crowd. The Lakers couldn't play through bad calls and got blown out (that "comeback" was nothing more than the Cs sleeping on the game) which, in my opinion, shows mental weakness. The Celtics, particularly Pierce, showed tremendous mental strength in Game 6 against Detroit. My hope is that carries over to tonight. If they fold because of bad calls, I will question them. If they get some bad calls, fight back, but still can't win, I'll give them credit for persevering and at least know they're mentally tough. But I'll make those decisions after I see the game, not, like LakerLanny, make an excuse beforehand.

Thank you.  I was about to post something like this, but you beat me to it.  TP for you.

« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2008, 06:51:58 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Is it at all possible that the refs are actually more on the fair side tonight? I mean, wouldn't they be proving the conspiracy theorists right that the games are sometimes fixed if they actually give most of the calls to LA after EVERYONE in the world is predicting that that would happen? Are they really that bold to go ahead and do it after all the publicity?
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2008, 07:26:43 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Is it at all possible that the refs are actually more on the fair side tonight? I mean, wouldn't they be proving the conspiracy theorists right that the games are sometimes fixed if they actually give most of the calls to LA after EVERYONE in the world is predicting that that would happen? Are they really that bold to go ahead and do it after all the publicity?

I've thought about this as well.  If the series was tied 1-1 I would absolutely agree with this "reverse" conspiracy theory.  However the Lakers absolutely need this game, as does the NBA for the money.  That's the only reason why I think the Lakers will get most of the calls.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2008, 07:36:45 PM »

Offline Tenacious D

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 232
No plot. But I would like to know how a ref who got suspended from the finals one year ago is back in the show, no questions asked, thank you very much.  Way to make it stick commish (ps one word: pen-ance).   
"Celtics Bring Structure And Discipline To A Chaotic World"

« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2008, 08:29:58 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
It's funny how we all like to chuckle at the conspiracy theorists but after 40 years of chuckles hasn't recent audio evidence proven that there were more shots fired at both Kennedy assassinations than what the public has been told occured? Doesn't that logically tell us that there actually were more gunmen than originally thought?

Maybe not but maybe we shouldn't be so quick to poo-poothe idea that a sports league would fix games for the overall financial benefit of 30 billionaires.

Last I checked the people who hate losing money the most are the people with the most money.

Making no claims, just a thought.