Author Topic: Game 3 Ref Assignments (Merged)  (Read 11131 times)

Re: B. Salvatore is reffing game 3!!
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 09:10:24 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I like Joey Crawford, though.  He does not always make every call by the book, but he certainly has the cojones to stand up to a home crowd-- or to a star player who thinks he's entitled to every call.

True, Joey has no problem standing up to star players, but he does have a problem with understanding the extent of his authority, (to the point of suspensions). Regardless, if he was going to get suspended, he should have at least made it worthwhile by slapping Duncan silly, instead of just trading barbs and challenging him to a fight. (I would have put money on Joey, though I think he's a horrible official)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 09:13:42 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
The Equalizer Arrives

It'll be our turn to whine about the refs soon enough.  The difference is, our xomplaints will be legit. ;D
Yup

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 09:14:53 AM »

Offline JRodtheSnake

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 20
Wunderlich is the wild card here.  I think I recall Tommy berating him on a telecast towards the end of the season.  But what ref hasn't Tommy gotten on
"Kirilenko's eyes started to tear in the locker room as he talked in a shaky voice about his frustrations and inability to stop Pierce. He played just four minutes in the final quarter because of his inept defense, but his small consolation was that none of his teammates could do any better".

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2008, 09:26:18 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
we are just going to have to tough it out and win anyway, like we did in detroit. I don't want to stoop to the level of those LA fans who blamed the refs after each loss.

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2008, 09:35:35 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Hopefully, we'll all keep this garbage in mind the next time we're tempted to use the "horrible officiating" excuse, (myself as much as anyone), and have enough class to not take the low-road, and not blame the refs. Every game should be approached with the mind-set that you're not going to get the benefit of the doubt, and rely on your team's abilities and talents to win games. (I can dream, can't I?)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2008, 09:37:04 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
we also have to make sure that we don't get anyone tossed or even suspended tonight (well, except maybe sam), that would definately swing momentum back in LA's favor

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2008, 09:41:34 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Who cares? I mean yesterday's prediction thread as to who was officiating was fun and all but do we really want to start appearing like excuse making Lakers fans here? We're Celtics fans!!

Let the league throw every obstacle it wants at us over the next week, who cares.

The Boston Celtics will improvise, adapt, overcome!

We are agile, mobile and hostile!

LA Laker fans want to wear that "the NBA is against us, they fixed the game" attitude like it's some badge of courage, let them!

Badges?! We don't need no stinkin badges!!!

We're the Boston Celtics!!!

Throw Crawford, Palmer, Bavetta, Rush, Wood, Mauer, Salvatore and any other fool that pretends to be an NBA referee at us.

We will still win at least one game in the next three for the simple reason that we are the better team.

And that's as simple as it gets people!!!!!

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2008, 09:42:53 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Haha kudos for all of us for knowing exactly how the NBA works.  We all deserve a big TP for that one.

Salvatore - The two calls that stand out are the tech on Ray when he was sphered by Odom, and of course the travesty that was the "blocking" offensive foul on Pierce.  However, I also remember that we won both of those games.

Crawford - He did give the Lakers a game with that awful call, but I think that was more out of spite for Tim Duncan instead of liking the Lakers.  I agree that he does have the cajones to go against the home team's crowd, and stand up to a jerk like Phil Jackson.  He has the attitude that he's not going to take the crap from anyone.  This might be a good sign.

Wunderlich - Don't remember too many bad calls or too much on this guy.  That's refreshing, it's how a ref should be.  I'm sure that will change after tonight, but we'll see.

I'm going to try, and I repeat try to make a vow to not make one complaint about the refs during the game tonight.  We're all smart enough  to know they're gonna be awful, and not in the good way for us like in Game 2.  I've complained about officials in the past, but after listening to the Faker fans and how pathetic they sounded, I'm turning over a new leaf, for tonight anyways....
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2008, 09:48:57 AM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
Who cares? I mean yesterday's prediction thread as to who was officiating was fun and all but do we really want to start appearing like excuse making Lakers fans here? We're Celtics fans!!

Let the league throw every obstacle it wants at us over the next week, who cares.

The Boston Celtics will improvise, adapt, overcome!

We are agile, mobile and hostile!

LA Laker fans want to wear that "the NBA is against us, they fixed the game" attitude like it's some badge of courage, let them!

Badges?! We don't need no stinkin badges!!!

We're the Boston Celtics!!!

Throw Crawford, Palmer, Bavetta, Rush, Wood, Mauer, Salvatore and any other fool that pretends to be an NBA referee at us.

We will still win at least one game in the next three for the simple reason that we are the better team.

And that's as simple as it gets people!!!!!

A-MEN
God bless and good night!

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2008, 09:51:31 AM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29
Hopefully the refs are sick and tired of the Lakers camp and want to throw some bad calls there way.

Really wouldn't you want to get back at someone if they degraded your work ethic and professionalism that much? I sure as hell wouldn't want to give in and suck up to them.

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2008, 10:04:03 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
How about if they just call the game as fair as they possibly can?! I don't want them punishing the Lakers anymore than I want them screwing us over. Just try and be fair. They aren't perfect, but I think they try to do a good job. Some just aren't as good as others. Others try and "balance" out a bad call with one the other way which is even worse. Just try and call it fair!

Here's a funny ref story I had in a game. I was feeling like the ref was screwing us, and especially me, and started complaining in the game loudly to him. He just kind of half-grinned at me and said " I might have missed a call or two, but I can promise you I am not reffing half as bad as you are playing". I had to stop and laugh.

These guys have very few errors overall when you consider it as a percentage of their job. If the C's played at anywhere close to that efficiency level then the reffing wouldn't matter a bit!

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2008, 10:14:57 AM »

Offline Mon

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
How scary is it that the hottest topic of the NBA, a multi-billion dollar business, is the referee situation?

Does David Stern even recognize the perception of his league?

It apparently doesn’t matter who the starting five, the bench, or the coaches are…what matters most is “who is working the game?”

The NBA has devolved into the “WWE on the hardwood”.

Go Celtics!

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2008, 10:20:34 AM »

Offline seccom

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
How about if they just call the game as fair as they possibly can?! I don't want them punishing the Lakers anymore than I want them screwing us over. Just try and be fair. They aren't perfect, but I think they try to do a good job. Some just aren't as good as others. Others try and "balance" out a bad call with one the other way which is even worse. Just try and call it fair!

Here's a funny ref story I had in a game. I was feeling like the ref was screwing us, and especially me, and started complaining in the game loudly to him. He just kind of half-grinned at me and said " I might have missed a call or two, but I can promise you I am not reffing half as bad as you are playing". I had to stop and laugh.

These guys have very few errors overall when you consider it as a percentage of their job. If the C's played at anywhere close to that efficiency level then the reffing wouldn't matter a bit!

The biggest problem for the NBA ref is always consistency. A foul in the beginning of the game should the foul at the end of the game.

In game 2, Kobe was called for 2 questionable fouls in Q1. As a Lakers fan, I have no problem for those 2 calls. About 2 or 3 year ago, NBA added many hand checking rule to open up the game to get more offense.

So those are fouls in the regular season, and those are fouls in Q1 of game 2 of the final.

However, after Q1, how many fouls that was similar to Kobe's first 2 fouls were called? None, right?

By Q4, unless your are going to basket with at least 2 defenders hitting you, it was not a foul.

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2008, 10:21:37 AM »

Offline Bastone

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 13
It's not all bad guys!  Last game we had Kenny Mauer as a ref who's definitely one of the 3 all-time worst anti-celtic referees and he actually did a credible job.
Perhaps, this along with the 4th quarter collapse in game 2 will spur Celtics on  and keep them focused and on their game plan.
I am still looking at Boston to win tonight in spite of everything we heard about LA to date.

The Truth will go nuts tonight!

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2008, 10:35:04 AM »

Offline sk7326

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 24
The Celtics got lucky with some absolutely awful officiating.  Yes the 38-10 FT edge was unfair.  But the Celtics WERE more aggressive, so that part of it was reasonable.  Powe outshooting the Lakers team was a bit much.

Crawford, Salvatore tonight.  If the FT edge is not 40-20 Lakers or something I will be stunned.