Author Topic: Gerald Green and other potential free agents  (Read 17548 times)

Re: Gerald Green and other potential free agents
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2008, 08:38:53 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
They have to resign Posey, who has a player option that he almost certainly will exercise.  After that, they won't have enough money left for most of the other players being discussed here.

They don't need to use the MLE to resign Posey.  They can use the "non-bird rights" exception on him, and still sign him to a decent contract.  Something like 4 years, $16 million.

« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2008, 08:46:28 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
No, but they are going to have a rookie camp.

I doubt if Gerald will be invited.  He has to pay his dues somewhere and learn the game.  Maybe Europe.

BTW I would love to have Najera.  Gritty player who can defend 3 positions. I also like Earl Barron as a legit 7 footer to back up Perkins.

« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2008, 08:46:37 AM »

Offline Galiza Ceive

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12
Most important free agent is James Posey. This should be the first choice. If Eddie House can be resigned, I agree with that, if not I would try to sign Navarro (free agent)for the same role Eddie played this year.
By the way, how much money do the Celtics have for free agents?

« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2008, 08:51:09 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
They have to resign Posey, who has a player option that he almost certainly will exercise.  After that, they won't have enough money left for most of the other players being discussed here.

They don't need to use the MLE to resign Posey.  They can use the "non-bird rights" exception on him, and still sign him to a decent contract.  Something like 4 years, $16 million.

Yes, but the max they could pay him is 3.8 million (120% of his current salary).  Posey can get more elsewhere after the year he's had.  In fact, he can probably get the full MLE or close to it.

I believe the Celtics will have their full MLE and the biannual exception available this summer. Formore than you ever wanted to know about the Celtics' cap situation, go here:  http://celtics.realgm.com/articles/353/20080131/frontloading_the_cs_past_the_garnett_era/
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 09:01:22 AM by Brickowski »

« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2008, 08:54:19 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
By the way, how much money do the Celtics have for free agents?

Basically:

1) The mid-level exception, which is worth around $5.5 million, give or take.  All or part of this can be used on one free agent, or can be split amongst multiple players.

2) The bi-annual exception, which is worth around $1.9 million.  All or part of this can be used on a free agent, but can only be used once every two years.  Free agents can be signed to a maximum two year deal.

3) Veteran minimum.  The amount varies, but we can sign an unlimited number of players to minimum salary deals.

4) Bird rights.  We can re-sign our own free agents without needing to use another exception, so long as it's been three or more years since they changed teams via free agency.

5) Non-bird exception.  We can sign our own free agents who don't have Bird rights to a deal starting at 120% of their previous salary.  This would apply to free agents like Posey and House.

For more, see here.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2008, 09:01:14 AM »

Offline Galiza Ceive

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12
Thanks. I did not know about the non-bird exception. Sounds interesting for Posey and E. House. Although, I agree with Brickowski, Posey can get more money than 3.8 million

« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2008, 09:18:57 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Yes, but the max they could pay him is 3.8 million (120% of his current salary).  Posey can get more elsewhere after the year he's had.  In fact, he can probably get the full MLE or close to it.

I believe the Celtics will have their full MLE and the biannual exception available this summer. Formore than you ever wanted to know about the Celtics' cap situation, go here:  http://celtics.realgm.com/articles/353/20080131/frontloading_the_cs_past_the_garnett_era/

This is certainly a concern, although I think they can make up the difference in years.  If someone is willing to give him the full MLE for 4-5 years, let them have him, otherwise, the C's can offer the max for his non-bird rights over 4-5 years, and that might be enough to entice him to stay. 

Yes, he may have to give a little bit of a hometown discount...but they should be able to at least make him think about it.

« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2008, 09:34:45 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

This is certainly a concern, although I think they can make up the difference in years.  If someone is willing to give him the full MLE for 4-5 years, let them have him, otherwise, the C's can offer the max for his non-bird rights over 4-5 years, and that might be enough to entice him to stay. 

Yes, he may have to give a little bit of a hometown discount...but they should be able to at least make him think about it.

DO you really think Posey's going to get that much money? I'm a fan, but $25M over 4 years or $30M over 5 seems like a lot for a 32 year old sub who's getting 7 points and 4 boards a game. Don't get me wrong, I want him back, but I don't know who's going to do that. I'd think a 3 year early bird (around $14M) would be enough to keep him, and it's the right time frame for our current roster.

« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2008, 09:38:08 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I smell Posey and House both leaving, get much more money, because of all this hype.. and this season

I'm a huge Eddie House fan, btw. I was wrong about GG, I thought he would become a really good player when he was drafted, but if he came back now, he would become a distraction, IMO.

GET MATT BARNES!!!!!!

*hopefully*

« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2008, 09:55:53 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
As long as Posey doesn't opt out

Backup C. 

1) Diop (give him the full MLE)  Two headed defensive C. 
2) kurt Thomson
3) Foster
4) Elson
5) O'Bryant
6) Doleac

Backup PG
1) Duhan
2) Arroyp
3) Carter
4) Udrih

Like to see Pruitt step up and become the Combo/4th Guard (replacing House)

Like to see the 1st round pick to replace Tony Allen with a SG/SF. 

Re: Gerald Green
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2008, 09:56:18 AM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203
Since I still believe the Celtics could use a scorer off the bench and Gerald always seemed like a kid with a nice stoke I,d be up for inviting him to play on their summer league camp.
Maybe being out of the league will increase his work ethic.

We are not gonna have a summer league team this year. This is what Danny stated earlier this season.
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2008, 09:56:48 AM »

Offline sk7326

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 24
as for pgs the guys id like are tyronn lue and jwill. was always a big fan of jwill in sac.  but i wouldnt be averse to letting pruitt have a go either i loved ricky davis here and wouldnt mind him again but i think it would just cost too much. but i would definitely love for us to bring in a young athlete that paul and especially ray can tutor. i wished geralds first year with our team wouldve been this year. this is the kind of team i wished he had learned from.

as for wings i just assume draft one like rush, douglas-roberts of bill walker from k-state

The best backup PG option on the UFA market is probably Beno Udrih.  You can argue Arroyo, but I'd prefer Udrih.  San Antonio ran him out of town, and given their backup PGs, it has been one of their rare unwise personnel decisions. (their use of Nick Van Exel probably cost them the Dallas series in 2006) 

I favor throwing the entire MLE at Keyon Dooling though, for a 6'3 combo guard who can run the point at times, back up the 2 at times, and is a tall rangy defender of the position.  And unlike Rondo, can space the floor when he is out there.  He probably can get more playing time somewhere else though or more money re-upping with Orlando.  But he'd be a terrific fit. 

Another Orlando player who would fit well in Boston to back up the swing positions in Maurice Evans.  James Posey will come back if Boston loses.  If the Celts win this series, who knows -- he might fish for a payday.  But I think he might be happy to stay here if the deal makes sense. 

The bi-annual exception should be thrown at Alonzo Mourning.  He probably is not leaving Miami, but I'd sent Garnett, Pierce a contract and tell them not to come back until they can recruit him to sign a deal to back up the bigs.