Author Topic: Gerald Green and other potential free agents  (Read 17554 times)

Gerald Green and other potential free agents
« on: June 09, 2008, 02:48:15 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
  Im really curious to see what happens to Gerald next year. Im kinda hoping that the Celtics are able to sign him for a minimal contract, and see if they can send him to the D-League. Theres no question that the kid has talent, and in 2-3 years he could be a good player off the bench.
Ive read that hes really immature and should have gone to college, but at least he has avoided legal trouble unlike other young NBA players(Melo). I think being around guys like Garnett along with other veterans will force him to grow up. Our star players are not getting any younger.Taking a chance on a player like Gerald Green could turn out to be a wise gamble.

Just for Curiosity, do you think any of these 2008 free agents would be a good fit for the C's?
Juwan Howard
Antoine Wright
Mickael Pietrus
Carlos Arroyo
Jason Williams
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 03:23:41 PM by Roy Hobbs »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: Gerald Green
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 02:58:14 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
  Im really curious to see what happens to Gerald next year. Im kinda hoping that the Celtics are able to sign him for a minimal contract, and see if they can send him to the D-League. Theres no question that the kid has talent, and in 2-3 years he could be a good player off the bench.
Ive read that hes really immature and should have gone to college, but at least he has avoided legal trouble unlike other young NBA players(Melo). I think being around guys like Garnett along with other veterans will force him to grow up. Our star players are not getting any younger.Taking a chance on a player like Gerald Green could turn out to be a wise gamble.

Just for Curiosity, do you think any of these 2008 free agents would be a goof fit for the C's?
Juwan Howard
Antoine Wright
Mickael Pietrus
Carlos Arroyo
Jason Williams

I dont know think his struggles are because hes immature.  I think he is a respectful person with a good work ethic and he really wants to be good.  His problem is that he is just not smart enough to compete at this level.  If you have ever heard him speak then you know he pretty much sounds exactly like you would expect a stereotypical dumb blonde would.

With that said I would sign him to a minimum contract and stick him at the end of the bench.  Hopefully KG can get through to him.  But I doubt it.
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 03:03:58 PM »

Online celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 572
Since I still believe the Celtics could use a scorer off the bench and Gerald always seemed like a kid with a nice stoke I,d be up for inviting him to play on their summer league camp.
Maybe being out of the league will increase his work ethic.

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 03:06:27 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
I don't want to come off like a jerk, but in all seriousness, why are we talking about this now? I could care less about Gerald Green, Juwan Howard, or Antoine Wright at this point...

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 03:10:07 PM »

Offline evanernest

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
I don't want to come off like a jerk, but in all seriousness, why are we talking about this now? I could care less about Gerald Green, Juwan Howard, or Antoine Wright at this point...

Word.

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 03:12:56 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all

Just for Curiosity, do you think any of these 2008 free agents would be a good fit for the C's?
Juwan Howard
Antoine Wright
Mickael Pietrus
Carlos Arroyo
Jason Williams

I'd be fine with offering Green a min. contract -- a little over $800K for Green's years of service.

But RE: your list, the only guy i think would add much to this team would be Pietrus -- and i think a team like Miami will make a harder push for more money.

my list looks like:

1. Eddie House - I want him back
2. Tyronn Lue - KG's good friend and solid vet PG (cassell to DEN?)
3. Chris Anderson - kid's
4. DeSagana Diop - likely will be offered more by NJ or a team like Detroit in a S/T
5. Malik Allen
6. one of: Jake Voskuhl, Michael Doleac, Francisco Elson, Jackie Butler or Lorenzen Wright

and would like to take a flyer on Patrick O'Bryant.

And, of course, draft DeVon Hardin.
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 03:15:25 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Doc and Pierce both mentioned Gerald wasn't willing to put the work in to be an effective player.  I doubt he gets offered any sort of deal.

Guys I would like to see in green (off the top of my head):

Jeff Foster (if he opts out of his Indiana deal)
Chris Duhon

Also, what's everyone think of Ricky Davis?  I don't think Doc and Danny were too impressed, but skills wise, he'd be a perfect fit for this team.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 03:15:44 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
"I dont know think his struggles are because hes immature.  I think he is a respectful person with a good work ethic and he really wants to be good.  His problem is that he is just not smart enough to compete at this level.  If you have ever heard him speak then you know he pretty much sounds exactly like you would expect a stereotypical dumb blonde would.

With that said I would sign him to a minimum contract and stick him at the end of the bench.  Hopefully KG can get through to him.  But I doubt it."

I Listened to one of his interviews on youtube and he seems to be a little quicker then Perk. Guess if we are able to get through to Perk, we should be able to do the same with Gerald.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 03:20:41 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
"I don't want to come off like a jerk, but in all seriousness, why are we talking about this now? I could care less about Gerald Green, Juwan Howard, or Antoine Wright at this point... "
Whats wrong with a little speculation, [dang]... If you could "careless" about the post why did you take the time to respond too it...?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 03:32:33 PM by Goldstar88 »

Re: Gerald Green and other potential free agents
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 03:28:37 PM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
I don't think we have to worry about this. Teams rarely take back players they have given up on. I am not sure he will make it back in the league at all.

Pete

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 03:32:08 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
I always like Gerald Green. He seemed like a good kid and he definately has talent. I think I would definately take him on as a project. He could be a nice scoring back up option to Ray Allen. Also, based on his athletic ability, he should be able to play some very good defense.

I always liked him. I'd give him another shot.

Rondo could have a field day with him on the break.  

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 03:34:03 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Doc and Pierce both mentioned Gerald wasn't willing to put the work in to be an effective player.  I doubt he gets offered any sort of deal.

Chris Duhon

Also, what's everyone think of Ricky Davis?  I don't think Doc and Danny were too impressed, but skills wise, he'd be a perfect fit for this team.

The question is, would he be willing to buy in his role? Would he try to chuck shots? I think with his image of a team cancer, I´m inclined to give it a "no".

I like Duhon and especially Foster. Diop is also a good option, imo.

Oh, and no Gerald, please. I would rather see Ryan Gomes back in green.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 03:36:03 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I can certainly understand your viewpoint.  Why look ahead, when we are in the finals.

Personally though, I find it incredibly frustrating to have to wait for the next game...and I find it beyond frustrating to try to break down every second of the previous game during that time. 

So looking at potential FA's and draft picks is a nice distraction to help get through to the next game.  It's not for everyone, but for some of us, it is a nice break from the tension that is caused by the finals.

Juwan Howard
Antoine Wright
Mickael Pietrus
Carlos Arroyo
Jason Williams

Well, Green isn't coming back, sorry.  He was never an Ainge guy, and he simply doesn't fit into this teams plans.  If he is in the NBA next year, it will most likely be for a bottom dweller.

As for the rest of the guys, I thikn Pietrus would be great, but he likely will be looking for too much money.

Howard is pretty much done, and doesn't really give us anything that Powe or Big Baby doesn't.

Jason Williams might be a nice pickup.  I am not a huge fan of his game, but he is one of the best FA PG's out there...he just really needs to buy into Ubuntu.

I have always liked Arroyo when I have seen him, so I wouldn't mind bringing him in...but I have a feeling many of you would hate him, since he has a little Sam Cassell in him.

Antoine Wright is a less talented Tony Allen...no thanks.

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 03:39:04 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Chris Duhon

I would love Foster, but I can't see him opting out of his contract and then coming here for significantly less money.  And I don't think it would be necessary for us to spend the full MLE on him (which is basically what it would take to match his contract now), since we already have Perk, KG, Powe, and Davis up front.  I think we might need to set our sights lower for a big man.

Duhon would be great.  I have been a big fan of his game for a while.  If we could get him for about $3 million per, it would be a big time upgrade.

Re: Gerald Green and other potential free agents
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 03:40:42 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Hobbs, I really like both guys you mentioned; Duhon and Jeff Foster. I actually liked Davis as  a Celtic player. He defiantely played hard and he had some great games. He also always seemed to say the right things to the media for the msot part. But wasn't he a little locker room problem?

But I defiantely really like Duhon and Foster, would make this team brutally tough. Especially if you brought PJ back at the deadline.

But what about Gabe Pruitt? I think he's got a real shot at being agood back up point who can score.

What if you traded Pruitt and your 30th to move up and take Hibbert with the 21st.

Then sign Duhon with your mid level, resign TAllen cheap...maybe he comes back all the way next year...if not, at least you know all the guys on the team like him.    

Perkins / Hibbert / PJ Brown
Garnett / Powe / Big Baby
Pierce / Posey / Scal
Ray Allen / TAllen
Rondo / Duhon / House