Author Topic: How fitting would it be...  (Read 2783 times)

How fitting would it be...
« on: June 09, 2008, 12:05:35 PM »

Offline VINandTonic42

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
if KG won the Finals MVP, after losing out to Kobe for Reg. Season MVP?

That would be the perfect end to an incredible one year turnaround, started by the Big Ticket

What do people think?  I know its premature, but...

There's also a great case to be made for Paul

Any chance they could have co-mvps or even Pierce, KG, and Ray?

Re: How fitting would it be...
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 12:06:33 PM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29
I think as of right now it's Pierce's to lose.

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 12:11:53 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
After 2 games, PP is the front runner. I thought KG would be the MVP before the series started but it is PP's heart/soul/passion/talent that has got us where we are now. Of course, that could change with 2 straight 27/20 performances in game 3 and 4 for KG. Either way, I am happy.

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 12:13:24 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Yeah Pierce has definitely been the MVP of the first two games.  KG will need to play great in two Celtics wins to win it. 

However let's not be like the LA fans of 1984 and stat discussing the MVP before the series is over.  That was the big debate after Game 3 when they ran us off the court.  If they had been worrying about Game 4 more than the MVP maybe they would've won the series.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 12:24:08 PM »

Offline Jaycelt

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 7
Jason Whitlock:
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/655455.html

Nope. In order to give Pierce his proper due, we’re going to have to acknowledge that he is setting a new standard. We’re going to have to acknowledge the originality of his game. He’s a little bit Charles Barkley, a teeny bit Bernard King, a dash of George Gervin, a sliver of Elgin Baylor and a small helping of Reggie Miller.

And Pierce is the primary reason the series-favored Lakers are in a frustrating 0-2 hole as the finals head toward Los Angeles.

No doubt, the one-sided officiating buried the Lakers in the first half. Kobe picked up two cheap fouls in the first quarter, and the Celtics marched to the free-throw line for 19 attempts in the first 24 minutes. The Lakers attempted just two freebies before the break.

The free-throw disparity widened in the third quarter, when the Celtics tacked on 10 points to their 12-point halftime advantage.

But this game turned on the emotion, energy and three-point shooting Pierce provided the Celtics. It was a replay of game one except there was no drama about Pierce’s injured knee. When he did leave the court for brief stretches — Pierce played 41 minutes with a sleeve on his sprained right knee — he left and returned under his own power.

He burned the Lakers with 28 points, nailing the four three-pointers he shot and handing out eight assists. He’s the unchallenged star of this series now. For the moment, he’s a bigger star than Kobe Bryant, who managed 30 points and eight assists despite visible frustration with the officiating.

If there was any doubt left about whom the leader of the Celtics is, game two gave us the smoking-gun evidence that it is clearly Pierce’s team. Watching 7-foot Kevin Garnett float around the perimeter and fire up 18-footers brought back memories of Ralph Sampson in his prime.

Would someone please inform KG that Dirk Nowitzki doesn’t have an NBA title for a very good reason? The Celtics could potentially sweep the Lakers if Garnett takes his lanky rear end down on the block and complements Pierce’s and Ray Allen’s perimeter shooting with some consistent low-post scoring.

No doubt that if the C's can get this done PP will be the MVP unless he absolutely falls on his face in LA, which isn't likely to happen.

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 12:29:48 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
here's a question i'd love the answer to. the finals mvp - is that just the finals or the whole of the playoffs? i think it's just finals but i've heard otherwise.

and at the moment it's paul pierce's to lose (tp to yakmanev on the wording ;D).

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 12:33:01 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
Honestly, I really don't want KG to get it. Paul Pierce is the one who deserves it the most.

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 12:37:05 PM »

Offline PaulBonner

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
Not a bad piece on Pierce from Whitlock. I agree with a lot of what he has to say, in particular the need for KG to get down on the block and destroy Gasol/Odom/Turiaf with low post moves rather than bailing them out by launching 20-footers all night.

As far as Pierce's game in the historical context, I'd never really thought of how... for lack of a better word... original... it really is. The way he's elevated his game to such a high level this season has been a sight to behold. I can't think of anyone off the top of my head who's mixed up his strong drives and strong finishes at the hoop with his strong drives and last-minute dish to a wide-open teamate under the basket as well as Pierce has this year. Even though he was one of my favorites since he joined the Celtics, I have gained an even greater appreciation of all that he brings to the table this season.

A Finals MVP would be a great capper to this great turnaround season.

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 12:38:14 PM »

Offline bleedingreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Hinrich sucks, Deng sucks, Bulls suck, I'm out.
I think as of right now it's Pierce's to lose.

Ditto on that. If KG won it though, I wouldn't have one gripe about it. We need Pierce when KG goes 0-9 in the fourth quarter (game 1 L.A.) But we need KG like Kanye needs Jesus. We're nothing with out KG, nothing.

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 12:40:08 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3768
  • Yup
here's a question i'd love the answer to. the finals mvp - is that just the finals or the whole of the playoffs? i think it's just finals but i've heard otherwise.

and at the moment it's paul pierce's to lose (tp to yakmanev on the wording ;D).

It's just the finals.  The NHL gives its award for the entire playoffs.
Yup