Author Topic: Red responsible for 2-3-2 format??  (Read 1315 times)

Red responsible for 2-3-2 format??
« on: June 09, 2008, 12:01:49 PM »

Offline Petro

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 6
Just read an article on ESPN were Stern quotes the fact that Red made the suggestion of going for a 2-3-2 format. In a way it's like Stern is saying it was all Red. You David Stern is just a pompus **** he's very smug and it's obvious he didn't like Red because Red would let him know to his face about things he didn't like. Bottom line Stern never likes to be questioned and I thought it was tasteless to blame Red for the 2-3-2 format.Reading another article awhile ago the change was based on the media and Stern getting annoyed with traveling back and forth from Boston and L.A. in 1984 and Stern was going to make a statement as the new Commissioner and make a change. with that being said this current format doesnt help the C's just look at the Dallas and Heat series a couple of years ago. Everything will shift the Lakers are gonna get the calls they were crieing about and momentum will shift quickly with that being said the C's need to find a way to get one and come home 3-2 it won't be easy.

Re: Red responsible for 2-3-2 format??
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 12:19:45 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
If we win at least one of the next three, Celtics fans will be very happy about Red's suggestion.   8)

I still say this series doesn't make it back to Boston.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: Red responsible for 2-3-2 format??
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 12:40:12 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
I saw this interview firsthand on NBA.TV about 1hour prior to game 2 on NBA.TV.There were 2 reasons Stern made the decision to go with the 2-3-2 format back in '84...1.)quote,i was a young commissioner in the league,regaurded Red as the "Father of the NBA",had a lot respect for what he had to say,at the time,and Red was complaining at a dinner(Marriot in Boston)between the two,that it is tough on his players traveling back/forth.2.)the media(bosses),were complaining about having to send a lot of different reporters back/forth,from east to west,and they needed them to cover other major events  going on at the time.Stern said he felt at that time,he was young,and wanted what was best for the game.He also stated,its not written in stone,that issue will be revisited after the season.Also said,it helped the rating at that particular time .
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 12:47:09 PM by jay_jay54 »