Author Topic: Schilling on Kobe, KG  (Read 6684 times)

Schilling on Kobe, KG
« on: June 09, 2008, 10:55:51 AM »

Offline Frontierboy

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
I found this article on boston.com and thought it was real interesting.... It confirms how much of a disease Kobe is.... you know what they say, adversity reveals character, not builds it......

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/

< Back to Front Page Text size – + Schilling on Kobe, KG
Link|Comments (0) Posted by David Lefort, Boston.com Staff June 9, 2008 10:44 AM
Red Sox starting pitcher Curt Schilling, who watched last night's Game 2 from courtside seats at the Garden, today blogged some interesting thought on Kobe Bryant and Kevin Garnett.

"Who doesn't know Kobe Bryant right?," asks Schilling. "I only know what I have heard, starting awhile back with the entire Shaq debacle. I don't really have an opinion one way or the other on or about him other than to know that people feel he might be one of the 4-5 greatest players to ever lace it up. What I do know is what I got to see up close and hear, was unexpected. From the first tip until about 4 minutes left in the game I saw and heard this guy Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. at his teammates. Every TO he came to the bench p---ed, and a few of them he went to other guys and yelled about something they weren't doing, or something they did wrong. No dialog about 'hey let's go, let's get after it' or whatever. He spent the better part of 3.5 quarters p---ed off and ranting at the non-execution or lack of, of his team. Then when they made what almost was a historic run in the 4th, during a TO, he got down on the floor and basically said 'Let's f'ing go, right now, right here' or something to that affect.

Curt Schilling on Kobe Bryant.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 12:52:19 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Paul Pierce is **** good. What a game. Who on the Lakers can defend him?

I always wondered about the Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing and moaning of NBA coaches and players with regards to officiating and last night I was literally on the floor to see and hear it first hand. Things I heard and saw.

5) Kobe. This one stunned me a little bit. Who doesn’t know Kobe Bryant right? I only know what I have heard, starting awhile back with the entire Shaq debacle. I don’t really have an opinion one way or the other on or about him other than to know that people feel he might be one of the 4-5 greatest players to ever lace it up. What I do know is what I got to see up close and hear, was unexpected. From the first tip until about 4 minutes left in the game I saw and heard this guy Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. at his teammates. Every TO he came to the bench p---ed, and a few of them he went to other guys and yelled about something they weren’t doing, or something they did wrong. No dialog about “hey let’s go, let’s get after it” or whatever. He spent the better part of 3.5 quarters p---ed off and ranting at the non-execution or lack of, of his team. Then when they made what almost was a historic run in the 4th, during a TO, he got down on the floor and basically said ‘Let’s f’ing go, right now, right here” or something to that affect. I am not making this observation in a good or bad way, I have no idea how the guys in the NBA play or do things like this, but I thought it was a fascinating bit of insight for me to watch someone in another sport who is in the position of a team leader and how he interacted with his team and teammates. Watching the other 11 guys, every time out it was high fives and “Hey nice work, let’s get after it” or something to that affect. He walked off the floor, obligatory skin contact on the high five, and sat on the bench stone faced or p---ed off, the whole game. Just weird to see another sport and how it all works. I would assume that’s his style and how he plays and what works for him because when I saw the leader board for scoring in the post season his name sat up top at 31+ a game, can’t argue with that. But as a fan I was watching the whole thing, Kobe, his teammates and then the after effects of conversations. He’d yell at someone, make a point, or send a message, turn and walk away, and more than once the person on the other end would roll eyes or give a ‘whatever dude’ look.

http://38pitches.com/2008/06/09/manny-jd-papi-lester-and-the-nba-finals/#more-178
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

Schilling's Courtside Observations
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 08:10:42 PM »

Offline PlayRyanGomes

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 16
Interesting read at Schill's blog
http://38pitches.com/2008/06/09/manny-jd-papi-lester-and-the-nba-finals/#more-178

Here's a snippet:

From the first tip until about 4 minutes left in the game I saw and heard [Kobe] Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. at his teammates. Every TO he came to the bench p---ed, and a few of them he went to other guys and yelled
about something they weren’t doing, or something they did wrong. No dialog about “hey let’s go, let’s get after it” or whatever.  He spent the better part of 3.5 quarters p---ed off and ranting at the non-execution or lack of, of his team. Then when they made what almost was a historic run in the 4th, during a TO, he got down on the floor and basically said ‘Let’s f’ing go, right now, right here” or something to that affect.

Watching the other 11 guys, every time out it was high fives and “Hey nice work, let’s get after it” or something to that affect. He walked off the floor, obligatory skin contact on the high five, and sat on the bench stone faced or p---ed off, the whole game. Just weird to see another sport and how it all works. I would assume that’s his style and how he plays and what works for him because when I saw the leader board for scoring in the post season his name sat up top at 31+ a game, can’t argue with that. But as a fan I was watching the whole thing, Kobe, his teammates and then the after effects of conversations. He’d yell at someone, make a point, or send a message, turn and walk away, and more than once the person on the other end would roll eyes or give a ‘whatever dude’ look.

The contrast though, for me anyway, was watching KG and Allen, Pierce, as the game went on. I was literally ON the Laker bench so I could only watch the celts on the floor, and it was just different. it was all about who has whom, who goes where, what’s up next. That could have been a direct result of the officiating and flow of the game though, more than anything.
I'm just a celticsblogger.  We gonna blog on a sock, we gonna blog on a sock.

Re: Schilling's Courtside Observations
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 08:47:10 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
this just reaffirms my hatred for kobe and how i perceive him to be selfish and a jerk of a teammate.

Re: Schilling on Kobe, KG
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 09:13:14 PM »

Offline WBrownTrophy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Thanks Red
I wonder what Kobe will say if they don't come back in his series. Winning got rid of all that dispute from last summer, could it com back if they lose?
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."
                                   -Red Auerbach

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 09:22:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Wow, if a pompous ass like Schilling thinks that Kobe is a primadonna dink, then Kobe MUST be a complete and utter donkey whole.

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 09:24:04 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Wow, if a pompous ass like Schilling thinks that Kobe is a primadonna dink, then Kobe MUST be a complete and utter donkey whole.

Haha TP for that one, it was exactly what I was thinking.  I think Schilling is a hard on but that blog entry did have some interesting observations.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 09:43:40 PM »

Offline Frontierboy

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
I honestly think if the lakers can't win the championship, Kobe will probably bash everyone on the team and want them traded..... believe me, the drama will be back in L.A. within a week.

Curt Schilling’s Observations from courtside - Game 2
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 11:57:03 PM »

Offline Pillsbury

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
I didn't see this posted anywhere yet - although I didn't look terribly hard....  Anyhow, it's a good read for NBA fans in general, and specifically those of the Celtics and Lakers.  I'll post the most relevent portion here and hopefully it sparks some good discussion.

Ok, so I get some ridiculously good tickets for Game 2 of the NBA Finals last night. This was the 2nd chance to see the Celts up close. A few observations.

I had ZERO idea that the NBA game was that physical. [dang]. The big boys are getting after it on every play.

Kevin Garnett, and not that this needs to be stated, but I’ll say it anyway, is as focused and locked in as any athlete in any sport I’ve been around. From pre-game shoot around to last seconds on the clock, this kid is legit. The intensity and reputation are there, wow. His eyes are on the floor, or the ball, all game. What an incredible pleasure it is to watch and be a fan of. I am blown away in that he came out of high school, something that can be a huge disadvantage, and has ALWAYS maintained who he was purported to be.

The first game I saw from these seats the Coach for Washington was basically taunting KG when he was at the line, saying a bunch of things, KG was ignoring him for the most part until he said something that must have been a bit too much, KG pauses, looks over and basically tells him to go p--- up a rope.

Last night KG goes to the line, Lamar Odom (who I became a fan of last night) is saying “Hey KG why don’t you help on the ball down here?” Pointing to the paint, and I am guess referencing the fact that KG wasn’t down in the paint mixing it up. He says it again, loudly, KG doesn’t even acknowledge him, and sinks both. Impressive, total focus.

One thing I did learn was that in addition to not having one ounce of athletic ability, being white, and having no vertical, and only being able to dribble right handed, I couldn’t play in the NBA because about 43 times last night I heard things being said that would have made me swing at someone. These guys talk MAJOR trash on the floor, and the great part is that most of the times I’ve seen it the guy on the receiving end usually doesn’t respond much, if at all, and just plays the game, schooling the guy who feels like he needs to talk to make his game better.

Paul Pierce is **** good. What a game. Who on the Lakers can defend him?

I always wondered about the Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing and moaning of NBA coaches and players with regards to officiating and last night I was literally on the floor to see and hear it first hand. Things I heard and saw.

1) KGs first quarter Technical. I heard EVERY word of his exchange with the ref. It’s nice to know that they share the same problems some players do with MLB umpires. He was giving a technical because he said the F word, period. He did NOT call the ref a name, he was Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing about a non-call and said “C’mon, what the F am I supposed to do” and got the T. Now I watch both Pierce, and I think Allen, talking to this ref and he shoots back to Paul this little tidbit. “I can’t let him talk to me that way.”

What? Dude, your an NBA official, not the stinking Pope. Not one person in the arena paid 1 cent of their ticket to see you, ref the game and shut your pie hole. These guys are playing for a world championship, they are as amped up as you expect the best players in the world to be, they are grown men, there’s going to be some PG-13 language, and you are giving a T to a guy for dropping an F bomb? Stupid.

2) Every SINGLE play up and down the floor has MULTIPLE fouls being committed by multiple players. These guys are in close, every play. They are beating the crap out of each other, and the refs see it. That makes me think that the game is called and paced exactly how the refs want it to be. I wondered aloud, a few times, how in the hell calls weren’t being made against the Celts on a ton of plays in the paint where there was some serious pugilism being committed. There were a ton of ‘non-calls’ in my incredibly amateur opinion.

3) Phil Jackson knew it. Early in the game, Farmar comes to the bench during Celts free throws and asks about the next series, Jackson says “One thing I do know is we’ve got to stop !@#$&@#%$#&*()@ fouling these guys” Farmar asks what he says and he repeats the line.

4) I don’t know much about the NBA beyond some of the star players and the famous teams. I heard that the Lakers got Gasol in a horrible steal of a deal and that the league should have investigated the trade for some sort of punishable crime :) I saw a 7 footer last night who grabbed like 4 rebounds and spent the entire game whining about getting fouled.

5) Kobe. This one stunned me a little bit. Who doesn’t know Kobe Bryant right? I only know what I have heard, starting awhile back with the entire Shaq debacle. I don’t really have an opinion one way or the other on or about him other than to know that people feel he might be one of the 4-5 greatest players to ever lace it up. What I do know is what I got to see up close and hear, was unexpected. From the first tip until about 4 minutes left in the game I saw and heard this guy Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. at his teammates. Every TO he came to the bench p---ed, and a few of them he went to other guys and yelled about something they weren’t doing, or something they did wrong. No dialog about “hey let’s go, let’s get after it” or whatever. He spent the better part of 3.5 quarters p---ed off and ranting at the non-execution or lack of, of his team. Then when they made what almost was a historic run in the 4th, during a TO, he got down on the floor and basically said ‘Let’s f’ing go, right now, right here” or something to that affect. I am not making this observation in a good or bad way, I have no idea how the guys in the NBA play or do things like this, but I thought it was a fascinating bit of insight for me to watch someone in another sport who is in the position of a team leader and how he interacted with his team and teammates. Watching the other 11 guys, every time out it was high fives and “Hey nice work, let’s get after it” or something to that affect. He walked off the floor, obligatory skin contact on the high five, and sat on the bench stone faced or p---ed off, the whole game. Just weird to see another sport and how it all works. I would assume that’s his style and how he plays and what works for him because when I saw the leader board for scoring in the post season his name sat up top at 31+ a game, can’t argue with that. But as a fan I was watching the whole thing, Kobe, his teammates and then the after effects of conversations. He’d yell at someone, make a point, or send a message, turn and walk away, and more than once the person on the other end would roll eyes or give a ‘whatever dude’ look.

Let me reiterate that this is from a complete basketball newbie, so for all I know this could be exactly how these guys play this game and interact with each other.

The contrast though, for me anyway, was watching KG and Allen, Pierce, as the game went on. I was literally ON the Laker bench so I could only watch the celts on the floor, and it was just different. it was all about who has whom, who goes where, what’s up next. That could have been a direct result of the officiating and flow of the game though, more than anything.

It was just amazing to watch a game where the Lakers came out, completely set the tempo in the first few minutes and TOTALLY dominated the final four minutes, and in between the Celtics completely dominated them.

Anyway, what a rush and a total enjoyment to be a part of. Celtic fans were [dang] impressive.

http://38pitches.com/2008/06/09/manny-jd-papi-lester-and-the-nba-finals/

Schilling Calls out Kobe!
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 08:23:33 AM »

Offline shahpound

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
from www.bostondirtdogs.com

It's good stuff!

---
Schill Sees Lakers Rolling Their Eyes at Kobe's 'Leadership'

"Who doesn't know Kobe Bryant right? I only know what I have heard, starting awhile back with the entire Shaq debacle. I don't really have an opinion one way or the other on or about him other than to know that people feel he might be one of the 4-5 greatest players to ever lace it up. What I do know is what I got to see up close and hear, was unexpected. From the first tip until about 4 minutes left in the game I saw and heard this guy Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. at his teammates. Every TO he came to the bench p---ed, and a few of them he went to other guys and yelled about something they weren't doing, or something they did wrong. No dialog about 'hey let's go, let's get after it' or whatever. He spent the better part of 3.5 quarters p---ed off and ranting at the non-execution or lack of, of his team. Then when they made what almost was a historic run in the 4th, during a TO, he got down on the floor and basically said 'Let's f'ing go, right now, right here' or something to that affect.

"I am not making this observation in a good or bad way, I have no idea how the guys in the NBA play or do things like this, but I thought it was a fascinating bit of insight for me to watch someone in another sport who is in the position of a team leader and how he interacted with his team and teammates. Watching the other 11 guys, every time out it was high fives and 'Hey nice work, let's get after it' or something to that affect. He walked off the floor, obligatory skin contact on the high five, and sat on the bench stone faced or p---ed off, the whole game. Just weird to see another sport and how it all works. I would assume that's his style and how he plays and what works for him because when I saw the leaderboard for scoring in the post season his name sat up top at 31+ a game, can't argue with that. But as a fan I was watching the whole thing, Kobe, his teammates and then the after effects of conversations. He'd yell at someone, make a point, or send a message, turn and walk away, and more than once the person on the other end would roll eyes or give a 'whatever dude' look." -- 6.9.08, Curt Schilling on 38Pitches.com... who has much more to say on basketball and the Sox brawl, believe it or not ...

More Hoop Talk from Schill on Pau Gasol: "I heard that the Lakers got Gasol in a horrible steal of a deal and that the league should have investigated the trade for some sort of punishable crime. I saw a 7 footer last night who grabbed like 4 rebounds and spent the entire game whining about getting fouled."

Re: Schilling Calls out Kobe!
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 08:33:39 AM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Another one from Mr. Curt "I have an opinion about everything and everyone needs to hear it" Schilling.

But he does speak the truth  8)

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 08:34:34 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
... I don't really have an opinion one way or the other ...
That's a farce, love him or hate him (and I love him) - there is nothing Schilling doesn't have an opinion on. Is Kobe the NBA's A-Rod? Something about what makes them good statistically, makes them bad.

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 08:35:23 AM »

Offline shahpound

• The Green Kornet
He is a blow hard and politically, I am repulsed by him.

It is cool though to hear a first hand account from some one sitting 2 seats away during the game though. Especially when that account reinforces what most of us beleived anyways.

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 08:38:22 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Yup ... saw this, and he's absolutely right. There was a couple of time-outs that the camera was on Kobe, and showed him chewing out his team-mates and spewing his disgust at them. Yeah, Kobe ... make your team take the blame for your total lack of defense and poor shot selection. (I hope they use this to recall all the lovely, warm, hopeful things he had to say to and about them early in the season).

This kind of behavior says it all about Kobe and his reluctance to take responsibility for anything. Fact is, Ray Allen frustrated the heck out of him ... Ray Allen! He just plain could NOT defend him, and once again his team-mates become his own personal whipping post, and take the heat for his arrogance, selfishness, and lousy defensive effort. Real classy, Kobe ... what's next?

Allman Brothers anyone?
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 08:56:54 AM »

Offline Hollywood

• The Green Kornet
I always like to hear stuff like this. This reminds me of the article below from a few months back when some thugs commented on the wire.

http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/09/what-do-real-thugs-think-of-the-wire/
What Do Real Thugs Think of The Wire? - Freakonomics - Opinion - New York Times Blog

Watching Kobe in game 2 was great. Its interesting to hear what athletes with winning pasts think of his attitude