Author Topic: Anyone Else Concerned....By Doc comments?  (Read 10008 times)

Re: Anyone Else Concerned....By Doc comments?
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2008, 08:22:49 AM »

Offline TrueGreen

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
The Laker's are doubling KG in the post. It's hard to get him the ball, it's hard for him to make a move and it clogs the post for guys driving. As to Powe, the Lakers were unprepared, if they do prepare they have to single guard him and KG is better utilized spreading the floor. When he's on his jumper is like a layup. Same with Perk in the post. That one play were he had the ball, put Gasol on his back, faked him up and got the foul. Also, alot depends on who'se on the floor as to whether or not KG is better off in the post or not. So Doc's comments don't bother me because he's candidly stating his thoughts. What's bad about that?

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2008, 08:44:12 AM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187
I'm debating whether or not to make a new thread to discuss this myth of a weak Lakers defensive interior.  I keep seeing it thrown about in this thread, and every time I see it my teeth gnash a little harder.  The Lakers have a soft interior on the boards, no question, but they have consistently been shutting down post threats throughout the playoffs (look up what they did to Duncan, Boozer, and K-Mart/Melo). 

They are very good at clogging the middle and making post-players either struggle against their length inside or move to the perimeter.  KG's perimeter game is actually ideally suited for the way the Lakers play D, his jumper has just been off.  When he's gone into the post for the last three halves (after torching them in the first half of game 1 and making the team adjust), he's faced a D keying on him.  He's gotta do better than 40% shooting from the field, but over the series it should even out.  KG was shooting about this same percentage through the first two Hawks games, but by the end of the series he was back up where one would expect him to be.

Powe and Perk are the ideal low-post threats in this series, because they have been getting no defensive attention.  The other big man has been consistently doubling onto KG, which means all they have to do is dive to the rim and take advantage.  Powe did that Sunday, and I have every confidence that if the Lakers keep playing defense the same way he will have more big games moving forward.

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2008, 09:40:35 AM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I'm debating whether or not to make a new thread to discuss this myth of a weak Lakers defensive interior.  I keep seeing it thrown about in this thread, and every time I see it my teeth gnash a little harder.  The Lakers have a soft interior on the boards, no question, but they have consistently been shutting down post threats throughout the playoffs (look up what they did to Duncan, Boozer, and K-Mart/Melo). 

Guy, what are you talking about?  Duncan averaged 22 & 17 against the Laker D.  Both numbers are significantly higher than his regular season averages.  And before you get too excited about "shutting down" Boozer, please note that he averaged 16ppg in the Houston series as well.  So he basically crapped the bed from day 1 of these playoffs, and not because LA put the clamps on him.

Let's take this a step further, and look at Mehmet Okur vs LA.  This guy upped his point AND rebound averages by 3+ per game as well, to 18 & 11.  He also shot 1 more FT per game in this series compared to the regular season.

Just for fun, how about Fabricio Oberto?  Oh ok, finally I see what you were talking about with this vaunted Laker D!!!  Totally shut him down.  Shaved a whole point off his regular season average.  Wow.  Very impressive.

It looks like you're right afterall dude.  The Celtics scoring all these inside buckets is a total aberration.  Any second now LA will put the total kibosh on that and Boston won't get over 70 points again until next October.

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2008, 09:48:00 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I would go to Perk some more and try to get Gasol into foul trouble and make him expend energy on D. KG's game is his jumper and passing out of the double teams he draws in the post, and his jumper has been off all series. I expect him to dominate tonight.

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2008, 01:03:33 PM »

Offline Tommy Gun

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
Garnett does not have a power drop step to just work guys under the hoop..But if he gets on the block and goes to the middle instead of a fadeaway he will open up 8 to 10 footers which he can make at will..

I also think he faces up the defender after the catch quite a bit.. If he kept his back to the basket used his pivot to get to the middle he could be more effective..That shot is unstopable
See, this is why I'm not allowed to announce NBA games -- I'd be talking in the Cookie Monster voice right now:

Ahhhhhhhhhh ... my knee hurts ... ahhhhhhhhhhhhh ... me don't like when my knee hurts ...

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2008, 01:33:43 PM »

Offline TBreezy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
I am really excited by the progress I have seen form perkins this season offensivly. As te season has progressed he has become more calm when he recieves the ball in the post, and has show significant progress on his hook and his J.  If he continues to improve, he could certainly  be the low post compliminet to garnett.  The fact he will/should be facing single coverage will give him the advantage over the D (my feeling offensive person generally carries the advantage closer to the rim).

He just might not be healthy enough, this series...

Try powe and if he aint succeeding try the baby...

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2008, 03:02:04 PM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187
The Lakers have a soft interior on the boards, no question, but they have consistently been shutting down post threats throughout the playoffs (look up what they did to Duncan, Boozer, and K-Mart/Melo). 

Guy, what are you talking about?  Duncan averaged 22 & 17 against the Laker D.  Both numbers are significantly higher than his regular season averages.  And before you get too excited about "shutting down" Boozer, please note that he averaged 16ppg in the Houston series as well.  So he basically crapped the bed from day 1 of these playoffs, and not because LA put the clamps on him.

Let's take this a step further, and look at Mehmet Okur vs LA.  This guy upped his point AND rebound averages by 3+ per game as well, to 18 & 11.  He also shot 1 more FT per game in this series compared to the regular season.

Just for fun, how about Fabricio Oberto?  Oh ok, finally I see what you were talking about with this vaunted Laker D!!!  Totally shut him down.  Shaved a whole point off his regular season average.  Wow.  Very impressive.

It looks like you're right afterall dude.  The Celtics scoring all these inside buckets is a total aberration.  Any second now LA will put the total kibosh on that and Boston won't get over 70 points again until next October.

An example of a sarcastic response to a post where one wasn't required.  I suggested looking at the best post players on the teams the Lakers have faced through the playoffs, and somehow it became about Fabricio Oberto?  OK, let's try what I actually suggested.

Duncan: regular season - 49.7% FG, against the Lakers --> 42.6% FG

Boozer: regular season - 54.7% FG, against the Lakers --> 40.2% FG

Melo and Kmart (best Nuggets have in post): regular season - 49.2% FG (Melo) and 57.8% FG (KMart), against the Lakers --> 36.4% FG (Melo) and 44% FG (KMart)

Summary: the best post players to face the Lakers this postseason had a composite field goal percentage of about 53% in the regular season, and they're shooting about 41% against the Lakers this postseason.  And two of these (Duncan and Boozer) aren't just the best post players on their teams, they're among the best post players in the NBA.  But the Lakers have been successful clogging the lane, so these players had a choice between forcing shots or shooting more perimeter jumpers, which combine to help cause those lower percentages.  Okur did well against the Lakers, as you point out, but he's the Utah big that also operates well from the perimeter.  I'd expect KG's numbers to look more like Okur's since he's good from outside, but his shot has been off.

Like I said in my first post that got ridiculed, the Lakers are absolutely soft on the glass.  Those same four players averaged 2.7 more boards per game each against the Lakers than they did in the regular season.  KG is also doing extremely well on the boards thus far in the finals, averaging more than 4 more boards per game than he did in the regular season.

KG absolutely needs to shoot better (both selection and percentage) for the rest of this series, no doubt about it.  But the Lakers have consistently done well making great post players shoot poor percentages this postseason, so my point was just that it might not be as simple as "go to the block". 

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2008, 03:26:13 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

They are very good at clogging the middle and making post-players either struggle against their length inside or move to the perimeter.  KG's perimeter game is actually ideally suited for the way the Lakers play D, his jumper has just been off.  When he's gone into the post for the last three halves (after torching them in the first half of game 1 and making the team adjust), he's faced a D keying on him.  He's gotta do better than 40% shooting from the field, but over the series it should even out.  KG was shooting about this same percentage through the first two Hawks games, but by the end of the series he was back up where one would expect him to be.

Powe and Perk are the ideal low-post threats in this series, because they have been getting no defensive attention.  The other big man has been consistently doubling onto KG, which means all they have to do is dive to the rim and take advantage.  Powe did that Sunday, and I have every confidence that if the Lakers keep playing defense the same way he will have more big games moving forward.

But that's not good interior defense. It doesn't matter whether it's Garnett or Powe doing the scoring. The result is the same. Most of our attempts from in the paint either result in a basket or a foul.