Author Topic: Powe needs to play big minutes.  (Read 12807 times)

Powe needs to play big minutes.
« on: June 09, 2008, 08:13:54 AM »

Offline ForexPirate

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 19
Powe needs to play big minutes in this series.  Everytime he was in last night, the Celtics extended the lead big time.  When Doc takes him out, they lose the lead. 

Its a no brainer Doc.  When Powe is the only big out there that is really making things happen out there then leave him in!!!

Re: Powe needs to play big minutes.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 08:17:49 AM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
but jus like any other player powe has had very good games and very poor games

lets not throw him to wolves if next game he has an off night but i think powe is so hot right now and it's gonna crossover in to la

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 08:21:36 AM »

Offline Actionjakson

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
I love Perk but i really think that Leon needs to get the start next game. Leon is small but has proven that he can guard bigger guys. Leon has come up big all season. He makes things happen when he gets the ball in the post, unlike perk. He gets to the line, rebounds, d's up, and just bring an energy that the celts will need on the road.
“We don't see ourselves as four All-Stars. We see ourselves as one unit. It's like five fingers on a hand. You can do more damage together as a fist than spread out flat.”
- Rasheed Wallace

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 08:26:01 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I love Perk but i really think that Leon needs to get the start next game. Leon is small but has proven that he can guard bigger guys. Leon has come up big all season. He makes things happen when he gets the ball in the post, unlike perk. He gets to the line, rebounds, d's up, and just bring an energy that the celts will need on the road.

Perkins will start.

He needs to stay out of foul trouble and stay on the floor longer. 

Powe earned his minutes for the next game. 

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 08:29:36 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
The reason Powe doesn't play more is because he gets lost in the defensive rotations.

And if we learned anything from last night, it's that the best defensive team will dominate this series. We cannot give up possessions to defensive mistakes, or size, for that matter. The small ball didn't serve us well last night.

Powe will play, but he's not going to get 30 minutes worth of burn. Nor should he.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 12:06:33 PM »

Offline powefan

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
Powe took advantage of every situation last night.  When he posted, the Lakers let him have position and did not front him.  Leon was aggressive and drew fouls.  He single-handedly put Odom in foul trouble drawing a charge and then taking it to the hole after being on the court for 1 minute.  The Lakers then thought that Luke Walton would be a good matchup on Powe and Leon just abused him.  He out hustled and out worked every Laker on the floor-- That's just what Powe does.  The Lakers are a perfect team for Leon to have success against. 
People have talked about matchups and this is a good example of what Leon can do when he has good matchups. 

Also-- In my world, Leon should be signing endorsement deals after this performance.  Who would I rather my kid look up to?  Kobe Bryant-- a selfish spoiled entitled womanizing ****?  Or Leon, a hardworking, humble, never take anything for granted, down-to-earth stand-up individual.  Charles Barkley may not be a role-model, but Leon is.

speaking of Powe the Show!!
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 12:09:09 PM »

Offline mjohnson

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 10
Powe the Show // Powe the Show // Powe the Show

say the name Powe the show [Paw-da-show] a couple of times... you'll figure out that it rhymes with Laker's most celebrated steal in trades: Pau Gasol.

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 12:13:34 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Powe is a great matchup in this series.  He really excels when he goes against a passive frontline that doesn't protect the basket or attack the boards.  It allows him to roam free, and really take advantage of his aggressiveness (in contrast to facing a team like Detroit, who pretty much cancel out his aggressiveness with their own interior defense).

The thing is though, a healthy Perkins is also a great matchup in this series.  He may not be the finisher that Powe is offensively, but he is a much better defender, and will be critical in cutting off the lane from Kobe.  He also has been by far the best at checking Gasol down low.

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 12:24:28 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
The big man rotation, outside of the last six minutes, was extremely good last night.  Most nights you don't want to limit Perk to 14 minutes, but last night it worked.

Generally, I think I'd like to see a rotation of something like 40 minutes for KG, 30 minutes for Perk, 14 minutes for P.J., 12 minutes for Powe.  This can be adjusted based upon the context of the game situation.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 12:30:13 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
The big man rotation, outside of the last six minutes, was extremely good last night.  Most nights you don't want to limit Perk to 14 minutes, but last night it worked.

Generally, I think I'd like to see a rotation of something like 40 minutes for KG, 30 minutes for Perk, 14 minutes for P.J., 12 minutes for Powe.  This can be adjusted based upon the context of the game situation.

I like this rotation...although in this series, I might give Powe another 4 or 5 of PJ's minutes.

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 12:33:05 PM »

Offline wildo05

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
STOP! Leon had a great game last night, but seriously, BIG MINUTES? Where is he going to get these BIG MINUTES? We need to stop with the overreactions. The guy played great, but he is nothing more than a solid role player. Cmon people we are smarter than that! I know we are all excited, but hold on!
A winner is someone who recognizes his God- given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals." - Larry Joe Bird

"Anything is Possible!" - KG

"I'm just surprised he wasn't whining about the foul calls." - Glen "Doc" Rivers (6-11-08)

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 12:35:16 PM »

Offline bleedingreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Hinrich sucks, Deng sucks, Bulls suck, I'm out.
Powe should see minutes, but I'll be [dang]ed if the Lakers don't have an answer for him in the next game, or at the very least, a few different match ups for him. I can also see the Lakers taking Kobe off chasing Ray Ray around.

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 12:36:53 PM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
Wow- Leon scores 21 points in 14 minutes, draws a charge, and generally plays like an all-star and still gets criticized by some that he "misses defensive rotations".
It's been obvious since last season that he should be playing. Only matchup so far in the playoffs that he couldn't deal with, IMO, was Z. And the Lakers don't have Z.
Don't know what it will take(maybe a new coach, which ain't gonna happen) to get him into a regular rotation, but I've never seen a player who had to constantly prove himself every time he played just to get playing time.
Leon is the Rodney Dangerfield of bball.

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 12:43:35 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Powe had a great game. He caught the Lakers of guard. They clearly had no idea who he was or what his strengths were. I think the "Zen Master" will scout the Celtics  bench a bit more closely next time.  :)

The Lakers will be more prepared next time. We shouldn't expect anything close to last night performance from Powe for the rest of the series.

He should get minutes, yes, but 15 max is plenty. Great game by Powe!!! ...but Perkins/PJ have been more consistent overall.

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 12:49:12 PM »

Offline SamuelAdams

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
Well I have always <3'd Leon. My 6th man all year just for his on court hustle.  But he is best used when the matchups work in his favor. I know he is a scrappy, tenacious player.  But there are matchups where the height just hurts him.

Remember that short C we had, Brandon something, number 56 cuz he was picked late. He ahd some 20+ board games. Once teams saw him enough and figured out his game, he was done.