Author Topic: Rondo needs to be agressive  (Read 9406 times)

Re: Rondo needs to be agressive
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2008, 12:21:07 PM »

Offline Spoon

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
A 22 year old PG playing in the NBA Finals who had 16 assists, 2 steals, one blocked shot of a 6'-10" guy, and an 8:1 Ast/TO ratio had a non aggressive, bad game?

Does anyone else see ANYTHING wrong with this statement?

I'll tell you what. I'll take those stats from a non-aggressive, 22 year old, PG playing in any game ever, never mind in the Finals.

The success of this team has gone to people's heads and their expectations. We are 2 wins away from a championship and you're still critiqueing this team as if they just came out of pre-season.

Knock it off and enjoy the ride already. What are you going to do if on Sunday we win the championship, complain that the Celtics didn't win it on Thursday so that you could go to the parade on the weekend because you have to work during the week.

Welcome to the internet where everyone is an expert, scout, GM, coach, etc, from behind their computer screen. Or more specifically, welcome to Celticsblog. Sometimes I wonder if a segment of this fandom deserves this championship ride. It's somewhat sickening that people can't enjoy anything, but this seems to be a part of their human nature. To always find a perceived negative in everything. It's like a kid bringing home a 98 score on a test from school, but instead of being happy, their parents wonder why it wasn't a 100. 

Freud would have had a field day with internet sports fans. 

Rondo is what he is right now, and that's why he runs hot and cold.  He's very quick with the ball, but he's a poor shooter, and he frequently beats his man but has nowhere to go afterwards.  We saw that several times last night.
At least we can take solace he'll never develop into a bad player like Marcus Banks. Rondo is a 22 year old PG coming off a 16-2 assist to turnover game on the biggest stage on the planet. And people are starting to take notice of him being one of the best young point guards in the league.

Hey Scintan. What is your boy Marcus Banks up to these days? I heard he was at the game last night. Maybe Rondo gave him a few pointers on how to pass the basketball and run the point.  ;D

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2008, 12:26:02 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Rondo is what he is right now, and that's why he runs hot and cold.  He's very quick with the ball, but he's a poor shooter, and he frequently beats his man but has nowhere to go afterwards.  We saw that several times last night.

Steve Nash does that thing where he dribbles through the lane all the time. He was keeping his dribble and not making turnovers so that wasn't a problem. And he hasn't been a poor jump shooter in the playoffs (I know, that's not what you said) but he's finished his drives poorly. But on the other hand he was just toying with  the Lakers at the end of the 3rd and beginning of the 4th.

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2008, 12:27:45 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
"we took care of AI, williamsm and parker, why would we fear rondo blah blah blah"

heres what i say to you guys: youve just got rondo'd!

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2008, 12:37:05 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656

Steve Nash does that thing where he dribbles through the lane all the time. He was keeping his dribble and not making turnovers so that wasn't a problem. And he hasn't been a poor jump shooter in the playoffs (I know, that's not what you said) but he's finished his drives poorly. But on the other hand he was just toying with  the Lakers at the end of the 3rd and beginning of the 4th.

I didn't mean to knock Rondo's game at all and, if it came off that way, it certainly wasn't meant to.  It's not surprising that he runs hot and cold because of his shot and his age.  As I posted, Rondo is what he is. 

And, given the fortunate matchup against the Lakers, I expect Rondo, Perkins and company will be more than enough of a supporting cast to help the 3 Hall Of Famers get their first NBA title.  I was far more concerned about a matchup against the Spurs or Jazz than the Lakers.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2008, 12:39:33 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
Hey Scintan. What is your boy Marcus Banks up to these days? I heard he was at the game last night. Maybe Rondo gave him a few pointers on how to pass the basketball and run the point.  ;D

Banks is watching the games, just like most NBA players are these days, and he's not "my boy".  I'm sure you have a point with your post, but I'm not sure what it is.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2008, 12:56:07 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
How ridiculous is it that we are sitting here complaining about a 2nd year PG in the NBA finals that just dished out 16 assists with only 2 turnovers. That is one of the greatest games out of Rondo I ever saw. How is it that HE is smart enough to realize that almost every other player on that floor should get a shot off before he does yet people on here can't see that. He isn't a good shooter. KG, PP, Ray, Posey, Powe... THEY are! In fact, I'd rather have Perk on the block taking a shot most times than Rondo. He played tremendous defense for most of that game, played 42 minutes, and was calm and smart with the ball most of the time. He didn't force things that weren't there. Come on people! You should be ashamed of yourselves for ripping that performance.

If Rondo plays just like that the rest of the series we are hanging number 17. Enough already guys!

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2008, 12:57:13 PM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
Let's see if I'm reading this stuff correctly.
Leon gets 21 points in 14 minutes but he doesn't deserve more playing time because he sometimes misses defensive rotations.
And Rondo has 16 assists, 2 turnovers, a steal or two, a huge block, but he needs to be more aggressive.
Holy crap people. I thought I was a typically negative Boston fan, but you guys make me feel like a regular Pollyanna.
Right now, Rondo is good enough to start for a championship team. And IF he ever improves his jumper and takes it more often, he'll be top two or three in the league. But then again, if he took more than four or five shots a game, would that make him selfish and not a "true point guard"?
There aren't that many Chris Pauls, Isaiah Thomases, or Tiny Archibalds out there, but I'm thrilled that we have Rondo.