Author Topic: Kobe is not Michael.  (Read 14473 times)

Re: Kobe is not Michael.
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2008, 11:13:55 AM »

Offline RickyD Fan

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Kobe isn't even close. Not even on the same playing field. Kobe is not a top ten player (ESPN just had a great top ten article last week). Jordan won 3 rings in a row with very little support (sorry Horace Grant and Dennis Rodman). Then Jordan retired and the Bulls were not so good. Then Jordan came back and won 3 more rings. Then he retired again, and the bulls were not so good.

How is this even a discussion? Kobe had Shaq in his prime, along with some very talented role players in Horry, Fisher, Shaw, George & Hunter.

Also, in the 3 championships the Lakers won SHAQ was named the MVP in all 3.

« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2008, 11:17:36 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Hyperbole?...

About 1 in 5 foul calls the primadonna gets are legit. About the same for Jordan. 
About 4.5 calls Howard gets are legit.  He looks so strong it's almost like trying to figure out when Shaq got fouled.
About half of Paul's (Pierce)
About 4 in 5 of Kobe's

How many game tapes did you analyze for these numbers? I would assume you reviewed a rather large number of games to come up with these numbers.

Could you give the total numbers you found in you study,instead of just ratios, so that we can get a better feel for the legitimacy of your claims?

I look forward to reading these numbers. This data would make a great paper.

Sorry to bring this back, but I haven't had time to answer the question.  I watch all of our games and watch how both Paul and our opponents are officiated.  The only other player I watch with any consistency is Kobe.  No, Guava, I don't sit with a pen and paper and take statistics.  Thus the term about.  But my wife gets irritated with me when I play back and play back when something looks absurd.

-I watch about all of Paul's games.  Let's just say I'm glad he's on our team because I'd hate him for all of the flopping, flailing, and otherwise he does when he goes into the paint.  Paul is a poor man's Reggie Miller in that department. 
-I watch parts of a lot of Kobe's games.  He, IMHO, is officiated as close to the rules as star player in the league short the traveling he gets away with.
-I can't stomach the primadonna's games unless they're playing us.  But since his highlights are played ad nauseum you could take a sample of just those...You know, the 3-4-5 steps without a dribble, the foul calls when there is nobody close to him, the flagrant calls when somebody is.
The primadonna's games are the best case for Donaghy's game fixing theory.  If you watch his games, I'd challenge you to find more than 20% of the calls he gets (and shouldn't get) to be accurate.  I watch his games against us and the highlights.  If you watch the highlights alone, the accuracy goes down.  Watching the officials in the primadonna's games is like watching a parody of a basketball game on Saturday Night Live.
-I watch Howard primarily against us.  I also watched all of his playoff games the last two seasons.  He, like Shaq, is such a physical freak who gets hammered all the time.   I'd hate to have to officiate him.

In short, all of this crap started with Jordan.  That's why you can't compare the two.  The playing field isn't close to being level.  Jordan got away with everything on both ends of the court.

But do you have sound numbers or something? Because the number of fouls each player gets is not a matter of opinion. How many FTAs per game had Jordan and has Kobe? Jordan must have an enormous advantage, as he attacked the rim much more than Kobe. Bryant plays like the 40 years old version of Jordan (slightly better).

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2008, 11:32:32 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Career Stats:
Kobe   - 9.33 FTA pgs
LeBron - 11.66 FTA pgs
Jordan - 8.44 FTA pgs

2007/2008
Kobe -   9.04 FTApg
LeBron - 10.28 FTApg

Jordan has the highest FTAs per game in 86/87 with 11.8

If only 1 in 5 fouls that Jordan and LeBron get and 4 in 5 fouls Kobe gets are legit, then Kobe is probably the most underrated slasher (and player) ever in the game and it's not even close: he would be averaging more than 40 FTA each game if he got those superstar calls. He could singlehandedly win every single game in the NBA. 

« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2008, 11:39:43 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Career Stats:
Kobe   - 9.33 FTA pgs
LeBron - 11.66 FTA pgs
Jordan - 8.44 FTA pgs

2007/2008
Kobe -   9.04 FTApg
LeBron - 10.28 FTApg

Jordan has the highest FTAs per game in 86/87 with 11.8

If only 1 in 5 fouls that Jordan and LeBron get and 4 in 5 fouls Kobe gets are legit, then Kobe is probably the most underrated slasher (and player) ever in the game and it's not even close: he would be averaging more than 40 FTA each game if he got those superstar calls. He could singlehandedly win every single game in the NBA. 

Also, keep in mind this past season that 38% of Lebron's shots were from inside, as opposed to only 25% of Kobe's shots (source: 82games.com)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 12:18:49 PM by Roy Hobbs »

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions