Author Topic: This will be good for the rest of the Series  (Read 5364 times)

This will be good for the rest of the Series
« on: June 09, 2008, 12:00:38 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Although it would have been nice to have continued the blowout and beat them by 25-30 this may have been a better end result. We still got the win, but now they have seared in their minds they can't play PART of a game. There is no way they feel comfortable with a lead again in this series after witnessing first hand how these guys can shoot. This will force them to close out games.

Think about this. The Lakers have to win 4 out of the next 5 games from us in order to win the title. We have to win 2 out of 5. One out of three in LA and this is number 17!

Re: This will be good for the rest of the Series
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 12:03:08 AM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201

needless to say,

Doc has some items to get the team to focus on.
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 12:10:11 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Kareem of all people making some good points on the CSN postgame show.  This whole game was about the Celts.  When they played their game, they imposed their will and were outclassing the Lakers.  The Lakers made their comeback, but it was more the Celtics becoming lacks and letting them make the comeback.  All they did was make wide open shots that we were giving them.

I like this feeling.  We have proven that when we play our game we are the better team.  Now we just gotta keep our focus and intensity and play our game, FOR 48 MINUTES!
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 12:35:08 AM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133

needless to say,

Doc has some items to get the team to focus on.

Yeah, like maintaining focus.  Geez, I about had a heart attack.  When will the Celts put a complete game together? 

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 12:41:51 AM »

Offline bbc3341

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
This is just amazing. Think about how good this team is. They've had a couple of meltdown 4th quarters and haven't blown it. This is all about the fact that they're a new team and haven't played together before this year and just think how good they will be when they start putting together complete games. They are the better team and I think they take game 3 or 4... Look for Allen to hit for 30 in one of those games and for KG to put together a for the ages dominating performance. Pierce will get his, but it is Allen and KG who can really seal the deal and put this baby to bed...
Now, on to 18...

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 01:08:50 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
i would love to see the celtics win it in los angeles, but that's a tall order.  honestly, i'd be happy with 1 of 3, come back to boston and close it out in game 6.  what an amazing scene that would be...i remember 1986 like it was yesterday (which is how the celtics handled the rockets).
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 01:33:15 AM »

Offline Frontierboy

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Game 6 is in Boston man....... it's a 2-3-2 format....

Just win it in L.A., I don't mind

Everyone is saying the Lakers had this big comeback, that is a load..... It was the Celtics playing sloppy and no sense of urgency with such a big lead.  I like this though, cause I think it keeps the C's grounded and not overconfident going into game 3... I honestly tink it helped the C's more than the Lakers......... All the Lakers learned was they can score when the C's play sloppy D, but teams usualy score against sloppy D ( just look at the Laker's D )

Celtics in 4!!!!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 01:52:59 AM by Frontierboy »

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 01:42:01 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Game 6 is in LA man....... it's a 2-3-2 format....

Just win it in L.A., I don't mind

Everyone is saying the Lakers had this big comeback, that is a load..... It was the Celtics playing sloppy and no sense of urgency with such a big lead.  I like this though, cause I think it keeps the C's grounded and not overconfident going into game 3... I honestly tink it helped the C's more than the Lakers......... All the Lakers learned was they can score when the C's play sloppy D, but teams usualy score against sloppy D ( just look at the Laker's D )

Celtics in 4!!!!

Recount that.

games 1, 2  in Boston

games 3,4,5 in LA

Games 6,7 in Boston.

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 02:33:06 AM »

Online tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
why, why, why did Doc not take more timeouts during that 4th qtr. Laker run ??  does he know he can call timeouts ??
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 02:45:37 AM »

Offline tanner

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 33
I don't know.  Maybe.  But we have seen this happen too often.  So far, we've hanged on and won. 

Phil may field his small ball lineup with Radmanovic at the 4 more now, seeing how better it was spacing-wise for Kobe and how Odom's been underwhelming anyway.  I hope Doc doesn't feel the need to match it always.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 02:50:39 AM by tanner »

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 03:41:03 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
The fact we almost blew it might be an ok thing.   This team when it gets too confident comes close to failing.   This Celtic team has stretches of mental weakness.  When they were expected to win against Atlanta, they couldn't beat them on the road.  When they were expected to win against Cleveland, it went to 7 games.   When they were underdogs against Detroit, they got it done.   We have been big "underdogs" against the Lakers and we have got it done so far.  If we had blown them out by 20, suddenly the whole thing shifts again to Celtic hype.  This team can't get it done when they are expected to dominate.   I don't mind if the Lakers and the media want to paint it like the Celtics will fail in Los Angeles and the Lakers made some amazing comeback at the end of game 2.   Keep it up... keep feeding the Laker hype so that the Celtics come into Los Angeles hungry to prove everyone wrong instead of maintaining some perception of dominance.

We're up 2-0 going into LA with most people in the media still acting like this is the Lakers series.  I'm totally cool with that ;)

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 03:51:04 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Kareem of all people making some good points on the CSN postgame show.  This whole game was about the Celts.  When they played their game, they imposed their will and were outclassing the Lakers.  The Lakers made their comeback, but it was more the Celtics becoming lacks and letting them make the comeback.  All they did was make wide open shots that we were giving them.

I like this feeling.  We have proven that when we play our game we are the better team.  Now we just gotta keep our focus and intensity and play our game, FOR 48 MINUTES!

you know what, i noticed that too.. of all the people who should be biased in their comments, its kareem and magic who seem to be giving the celtics credit, unlike these national media etc

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 06:35:32 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
why, why, why did Doc not take more timeouts during that 4th qtr. Laker run ??  does he know he can call timeouts ??

Pretty sure he did call time outs, hence why he only had one left when they got to the final minute.

Team simply did not respond. Pierce was joking around, people became complacent...

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 07:48:58 AM »

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 163
i do not think the c's became complacent. i think they are trying to straddle the line between smart and aggressive. it is tough. they do not want to come down and fire quikcly, but they do not want to try and milk the clock either. it is tough, and they have not done a good job of it when they have big leads (games 3 and 5 of the DET series, and game 2 of the LAL series).

as for the OP, i was going to start a thread with the same premise. this is much better than if they had won by 30. this will keep them level and focused on game 3.
"Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider, huh?"

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 08:36:07 AM »

Offline CT34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38

you know what, i noticed that too.. of all the people who should be biased in their comments, its kareem and magic who seem to be giving the celtics credit, unlike these national media etc

The reason for that is Kareem and Magic are true ballers.  They know what real ball is and they arent going to make excuses for the Lakers when it's clear to them and everyone else that the Cs have been the better team in the first two games.  The other so called "experts" aren't even at the level of a Kareem and Magic so really their opinion is just that opinions.