Author Topic: I hate Bill Plaske and his holier than thou attuitude / media reaction to Pierce  (Read 34309 times)

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Wasn't Paul Pierce in the the best player (amoung many team mates) who stopped playing on a team that tanked last season?  Any outrage over skeptisism of yesterday's events is the pot calling the kettle black.  Sorry.  Paul was injured last night. I'm glad he came back and I hope he's healthy the rest of the way.   But for him to say he has to be "close to death" (as Paul said) to not come back somehow doesn't mesh with last season.

I share the opinion that Paul was injured last night.  He obviously isn't as adept at faking pain as the Messiah is every time somebody breaths on him.  But I have no problem with the argument coming from the other side.   This argument has absolutely no traction had Paul played the last part of last season when he wasn't injured like he did the third quarter last night after he was.

I find the universal outrage over the skeptism curious.  I wasn't around this forum last season but the forums I looked at were euphoric over the losses and the tanking last season.  So was the Boston media.  All of the media knew what was going on.  The tanking is what got this team to the Finals in the first place. 

See that argument makes no sense. Pierce stated himself he is not trying to be a hero and would not play if the circumstances were not so great. He is in the NBA Finals. That was a mid december game, why would he play through an injury in mid december that could possibly cause a more serious injury. He wants to win the finals so it makes since that he would risk his health at his best chance at a title.

OK.  I understand now.  So if the games mean something we'll play with or without discomfort.  If they don't and we can secure a better place in the draft, to hell with those silly people who buy tickets or subscribe to pay TV to watch him play.   Got it.

Except what mid-December game are you talking about?  Paul sat out the last 11 games last year after playing 52 minutes against Orlando in March.  He was the hero of that game.   

Just sayin' for the sake of argument.  Gives a lot of fodder to the other side of the argument, Andrew.

Offline Andrew Celtic Nation

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 105
Wasn't Paul Pierce in the the best player (amoung many team mates) who stopped playing on a team that tanked last season?  Any outrage over skeptisism of yesterday's events is the pot calling the kettle black.  Sorry.  Paul was injured last night. I'm glad he came back and I hope he's healthy the rest of the way.   But for him to say he has to be "close to death" (as Paul said) to not come back somehow doesn't mesh with last season.

I share the opinion that Paul was injured last night.  He obviously isn't as adept at faking pain as the Messiah is every time somebody breaths on him.  But I have no problem with the argument coming from the other side.   This argument has absolutely no traction had Paul played the last part of last season when he wasn't injured like he did the third quarter last night after he was.

I find the universal outrage over the skeptism curious.  I wasn't around this forum last season but the forums I looked at were euphoric over the losses and the tanking last season.  So was the Boston media.  All of the media knew what was going on.  The tanking is what got this team to the Finals in the first place. 

See that argument makes no sense. Pierce stated himself he is not trying to be a hero and would not play if the circumstances were not so great. He is in the NBA Finals. That was a mid december game, why would he play through an injury in mid december that could possibly cause a more serious injury. He wants to win the finals so it makes since that he would risk his health at his best chance at a title.

OK.  I understand now.  So if the games mean something we'll play with or without discomfort.  If they don't and we can secure a better place in the draft, to hell with those silly people who buy tickets or subscribe to pay TV to watch him play.   Got it.

Except what mid-December game are you talking about?  Paul sat out the last 11 games last year after playing 52 minutes against Orlando in March.  He was the hero of that game.   

Just sayin' for the sake of argument.  Gives a lot of fodder to the other side of the argument, Andrew.

I thought you were talking about the actual injury. I think when he sat out the end of the season it was management telling him to do that. I know most Celtic-Bloggers did. It still doesn't take away the fact that Pierce has played through a lot of pain in his career to me.

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1819

How selfish of Pierce, not risking his health enough for us who bought tickets to the game can get our money's worht. [dang] that Pierce.

Please, I've always found the "expensive tickets" argument quite weak... NO ONE should have to play through injury for the sake of fans and their money. They should only risk it to get a step closer to their goal, NO ONE has the right to ask someone to do otherwise.

As for his end of year injury, it was quite a concern... I remember many posters here still being quite afraid in the beginning of the season when Pierce got some swelling on his elbow again. It was the right choice to make him rest in a lost season, regardless of what the intentions were.

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
I thought you were talking about the actual injury. I think when he sat out the end of the season it was management telling him to do that. I know most Celtic-Bloggers did. It still doesn't take away the fact that Pierce has played through a lot of pain in his career to me.

Agree wholeheartedly with that.  That's exactly what I'm saying.  I just can't ignore last season when he didn't.  

But whether we would have gotten the first or second choice or not,  Paul would have had to have been traded or the roster would have been overhauled as it was.  Because there is no way he could have led his young teammates by example after sitting out those games.  Those games he sat out were as important as playoff games to his teammates.  Budweiser, when your team's best player is willing to toe that kind of company line, you need new leadership.  Danny was fortunate that his buddy was in a position to accomodate that overhaul.  Had McHale not been in Minnesota, Danny would have had real major problems on his hands.

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
But whether we would have gotten the first or second choice or not,  Paul would have had to have been traded or the roster would have been overhauled as it was.  Because there is no way he could have led his young teammates by example after sitting out those games.  Those games he sat out were as important as playoff games to his teammates.  Budweiser, when your team's best player is willing to toe that kind of company line, you need new leadership.  Danny was fortunate that his buddy was in a position to accomodate that overhaul.  Had McHale not been in Minnesota, Danny would have had real major problems on his hands.

Because clearly Pierce not playing injured for the final games of the season, in a lost season embodies all that was wrong with the Celtics.

"Those games he sat out were as important as playoff games to his teammates." <--- I don't even know why I'm here arguing with you if this is your line of thinking. Get real, AS IMPORTANT? "Hey Paul, I know you're very injured right now, but we don't care about that we want you to play with us despite your injury just to see if we can at the least not be in last place in the whole league. Come on Paul, risk your career, or at the very least your health for next season just to see if we can end in a positive note this miserable season". With teammates like that, I wouldn't want them... especially if they think that those games would be as meaningful as playoff games... stinks of being losers. Obviously that's not the case.

Offline ReggieLewis#35

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 6
I think thats the gray haired bald headed guy,and who cares what anybody thinks at this time.This is #17 that were getting ready to take and I could care less what all the haters are saying.The media was all over the Celtics last year saying we tanked,then we get the #5 pick and everybody was saying Ainge is the worst GM in the league and then we got Garnett and they always try to put the Celtics down but this time we'll show the world who the best team in the NBA is!

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

Because clearly Pierce not playing injured for the final games of the season, in a lost season embodies all that was wrong with the Celtics.

"Those games he sat out were as important as playoff games to his teammates." <--- I don't even know why I'm here arguing with you if this is your line of thinking. Get real, AS IMPORTANT? "Hey Paul, I know you're very injured right now, but we don't care about that we want you to play with us despite your injury just to see if we can at the least not be in last place in the whole league. Come on Paul, risk your career, or at the very least your health for next season just to see if we can end in a positive note this miserable season". With teammates like that, I wouldn't want them... especially if they think that those games would be as meaningful as playoff games... stinks of being losers. Obviously that's not the case.

I apologize for my ignorance, Budweiser.  That Orlando game must have been as important as a playoff game for Paul to play 52 minutes in spite, of course, of risking his career and being very injured and all.  If Paul was that very injured, he had no business playing in an overtime game.  His teammates are fighting for a future roster spot.  If they're playing out the string, I wouldn't want them as teammates.  Apparently you'd rather have fellow tankers for teammates.  Wonder how the head tanker would lead that bunch the following season?  The Boston Grizzlies has kind of a crappy ring to it.

Plaske wasn't the only person watching that unfold, Bud.  All I'm saying that this blastphemous how dare you say that additude about the skepticists has about as much credibility as you do on the subject.  Zilch.

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
I know it's been said in this post already, but I cannot stress this enough:

Plaschke is horrible. Terrible writer. Easily the worst writer on the LA Times. When he kept his job and Adande was let go we all were upset out here.

No one takes him seriously

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Holy Guacamole! How do people form an opinion?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/fp/flashPollResultsState?sportIndex=frontpage&pollId=56001

:o

Pierce is getting almost no love from Texas. Shoot. Maybe it's because we gone swept them.

Cali's predictably pretty lopsided, though most of those votes probably came from Plaschke himself.

Edit: The bright shining light right smack in the middle of all that Pierce hate?:  Kansas. Hmmmm........

That poll is absurd.  Why is all the heat going onto Pierce.  Didn't the training staff have a hand in the whole scene?  Didn't they tell him not to move and put him in the wheelchair and he stood up and started walking around against their wishes?  He got hurt, felt a pop, went down in pain.  I don't think that's overreacting.  I wish this injury on everyone who voted that he overreacted.  I have no respect for anyone who is hating on Pierce, I can't even debate the issue with anyone.  It's so dumb. 

I'm sure someone's already said this somewhere, but if that was Kobe it would've been the greatest comeback since Willis Reed.  Everyone would be saying how amazing he is.  Plascke Bayless and the rest of them are jokes.  What injuries have they had to come back from?  Carpal tunnel syndrome?
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

I apologize for my ignorance, Budweiser.  That Orlando game must have been as important as a playoff game for Paul to play 52 minutes in spite, of course, of risking his career and being very injured and all.  If Paul was that very injured, he had no business playing in an overtime game.  His teammates are fighting for a future roster spot.  If they're playing out the string, I wouldn't want them as teammates.  Apparently you'd rather have fellow tankers for teammates.  Wonder how the head tanker would lead that bunch the following season?  The Boston Grizzlies has kind of a crappy ring to it.

Plaske wasn't the only person watching that unfold, Bud.  All I'm saying that this blastphemous how dare you say that additude about the skepticists has about as much credibility as you do on the subject.  Zilch.

Double Overtime, a star plays big minutes in those. Secondly, maybe just maybe it was because he put that kind of effort that he got more concerned with his injuries? Don't you know that playing injured can usually cause other injuries to surface? And you're going to question his toughness for putting that kind of effort, while being injured in a lost season? Yeah, not a good example to bring up.

Also, I could care less about the Draft, I've never thought much of draft picks and what you can accomplish with them. So tanking or not taking is not an issue with me, the health of our captain IS a concern of mine, especially in that worthless season.

To put it in perspective, I thought Miami made Wade play too early and shut him down too late... just because you don't make your star players play AS injured as they were for a lost season. Especially when you can clearly see they don't seem right, and how current injuries can be aggrevated or cause some even more harmful new ones. It's completely foolish, and fans that say that they're entitled to see them play regardless of them risking their health just because they paid relatively big bucks (I bet most of them can afford them with their eyes closed) are completely irrational and I'm not very fond of them.

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

Agree wholeheartedly with that.  That's exactly what I'm saying.  I just can't ignore last season when he didn't.  

what deal for KG was better than a stud low post player, 2 first round picks and  a huge expiring contract?

not to mention a couple of solid rotation guys...
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 08:48:38 PM by winsomme »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

so your argument about Pierce sitting late last season when he had recurrence of an injury from a season ago (ie it had NOT healed even a season later) was that it cheated the fans..

you see a lot of cheated fans last night?

hey what an idea, sitting Pierce in a season that is going nowhere and give him extra time to let his elbow heal so that it doesn't adversely affect THREE seasons in a row.

personally i would much rather have had Pierce play all out at the end of last season with an infected elbow swollen to the size a tomato and had it again recur this season because he never had the time to give it proper treatment.... ::)

i mean how bad could that elbow have really been....it only cost him a shot a playing in the Olympics!!!

Offline bandonox

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 17
I don't know if anyone is watching First Take right now but I have to say Skip Bayless and Jalen Rose are an embarrassment.

They both have come to the conclusion that Paul Pierce was faking and that he has one of the lowest tolerances for pain in the NBA. Maybe someone should point out to these yahoos what Paul Pierce has been through in his lifetime.

Bayless said it reminded him of the Lebron James commercial where the guy fakes the injury. He even had the nerve to compare Pierce to Vince Carter. Bayless is a joke and his degrading attitude towards everyone is really getting old.

Jalen Rose is just an idiot who tries too hard to come off as intelligent.

don't even get me started on bayless....
i watched first take this morning just long enough to hear how they were gonna paint the whole "lakers lose theeeeeeee lakers LOSE" thing, and after last night's espn programming i actually expected some love....
my god....
seriously...
all this crap they sling is going to make 17 sooo much sweeter...
then again, they'll probably say the lakers " stopped playing" or something equally retarded.
and the fact that bayless gets a paycheck for acting like he does....
It's becoming quite clear he knows nothing about basketball
furbush.tumblr.com

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
I don't know if anyone is watching First Take right now but I have to say Skip Bayless and Jalen Rose are an embarrassment.

They both have come to the conclusion that Paul Pierce was faking and that he has one of the lowest tolerances for pain in the NBA. Maybe someone should point out to these yahoos what Paul Pierce has been through in his lifetime.

Bayless said it reminded him of the Lebron James commercial where the guy fakes the injury. He even had the nerve to compare Pierce to Vince Carter. Bayless is a joke and his degrading attitude towards everyone is really getting old.

Jalen Rose is just an idiot who tries too hard to come off as intelligent.

don't even get me started on bayless....
i watched first take this morning just long enough to hear how they were gonna paint the whole "lakers lose theeeeeeee lakers LOSE" thing, and after last night's espn programming i actually expected some love....
my god....
seriously...
all this crap they sling is going to make 17 sooo much sweeter...
then again, they'll probably say the lakers " stopped playing" or something equally retarded.
and the fact that bayless gets a paycheck for acting like he does....
It's becoming quite clear he knows nothing about basketball

I haven't seen First Take in a while... can you give me a recap on the Celtics-Lakers discussions, who was the guest also?

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

by the way, Fink, the Minny owner has purported the same BO-LOG-NA idea about what KG did at the end of last season.....