Author Topic: Ok i'm going there, feel free to disagree.  (Read 5762 times)

Ok i'm going there, feel free to disagree.
« on: June 05, 2008, 11:55:31 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
As a younger celtics fan, i will rightly defer if shouted down by some of the vets, but im putting that game by pierce in my pantheon.

To get hurt like that, and be playing so poorly when it happened, and then to come back in, and play inspired basketball like he did, leading his team on both ends of the floor...Greatest game i have personaly seen.

I'm not going to call it the greatest finals game in this rivalry of course, but i'm putting it way up there.

But, im also very curious, where does it rank with you vets? does it even crack your top 10? 5? Love to hear some war stories  ;D

In any event, Thank you Captain, I've always known you were a warrior, made in the tradition of the celtics, and tonight you proved it  ;D
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

Re: Ok i'm going there, feel free to disagree.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 12:01:46 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Pierce in NJ comeback was far far better.  Larry Bird smacking his head into floor was quite a comeback.  Loved it when whoever was covering the game replayed it with game noise...Larry wasn't faking on going to the locker room on that one, surprised he didn't break his cheak bone.
The Chief playing with a destroyed ankle (throw McHales name in there also)
and Dave Cowens...pick any of them

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 12:04:35 AM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
I'm only a veteran since the 80's and my memory isn't so good, but I'll grant you that was an inspiring game.  Loved our guys tonight (OK, I've a bone to pick w/ Cassell, but nevermind that).  I did not love the Lakers, who (thankfully) wimped out or just got wiped out in the end.  But yeah, let's enjoy our newfound Celtic lore.  My admiration for Pierce has been increasing exponentially this year.

The only thing separating this game from the ones I remember is that the 80s were more violent.  I suspect if the emotions are strong enough that this difference won't last long.  We need Perk back for that.

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 12:05:55 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Pierce in NJ comeback was far far better.  Larry Bird smacking his head into floor was quite a comeback.  Loved it when whoever was covering the game replayed it with game noise...Larry wasn't faking on going to the locker room on that one, surprised he didn't break his cheak bone.

That Pierce second half in NJ was unreal, but I don't think it belongs in this convo.  That was for a mediocre team, in a regular season game (December 1st if memory serves right, my dad's birthday.)

Larry's was better, his performance was better, and it was in a clinching game.  Other than that I believe this performance belongs up there in the debate.  To have a game like that in his first NBA Finals game is impressive.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 12:08:34 AM »

Offline Andrew Celtic Nation

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 105
To get hurt like that, and be playing so poorly when it happened, and then to come back in, and play inspired basketball like he did, leading his team on both ends of the floor...Greatest game i have personaly seen.

He was on fire in the third before the injury too though. He did play poorly in the first half. When I saw him go out I knew that if he had anything in him he would come back because he always fights through injuries.

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 12:09:26 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
The NBA Finals are what make superstars, legends!!!!
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 12:12:33 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

That Pierce second half in NJ was unreal, but I don't think it belongs in this convo.  That was for a mediocre team, in a regular season game (December 1st if memory serves right, my dad's birthday.)

Larry's was better, his performance was better, and it was in a clinching game.  Other than that I believe this performance belongs up there in the debate.  To have a game like that in his first NBA Finals game is impressive.
Pierce's play against NJ; referring to playoff comeback in 02? can't remember
not sure if your thread was with regards to injuries only or just amazing leadership

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 12:13:26 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128

I think they're referencing the 2002 ECF.

Great game.  Inspiring.  I don't think we need to rank games and moments, though, each are different in their own great ways.  This one was most important for him probably because it's the Finals.  But what does it matter.  1-0.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 12:14:36 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Both really, just an awesome game to watch, and as a celtic fan who has only watched since pierce being drafted, it just took me to another level.

Incredible overall performance (he was locking down kobe, and that may have even been more impressive)
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 12:23:22 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego

I think they're referencing the 2002 ECF.

Great game.  Inspiring.  I don't think we need to rank games and moments, though, each are different in their own great ways.  This one was most important for him probably because it's the Finals.  But what does it matter.  1-0.

For the sake of clarity, the game in NJ (as 2short suggests) that would be of note (so far as my memory serves) would be from December of '01, the 1st, I think.  Pierce came up with 46 in the second half and OT after a miserable 2-point first half to spark the Celts to the win.

But as Robb said, no matter how you rank it, we're up 1-0.  And that's as good as we could have hoped for in one night.  I'm thrillin'!

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 12:24:32 AM »

Offline Raygus

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 19
Both really, just an awesome game to watch, and as a celtic fan who has only watched since pierce being drafted, it just took me to another level.

Incredible overall performance (he was locking down kobe, and that may have even been more impressive)

touche, salesman. pierce's d in the 4th on the kobe was miraculous. when kobe hit that shot and pierce went down, i thought that we were about to see #24 go off for 40. just an incredible performance by pierce. i just love that he is showing the league that he is a top 15 player in this league.

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 12:25:49 AM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133

Ten years and you've caught the sickness as bad as any of us Crownsy!

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 12:28:34 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
To me the game seven of the cleveland series was Paul's defining moment as a player, but him coming out of the locker room after that type of injury may have been the momentum changer that got our bench going and potentially won the game.  Those type of heroic plays are just priceless.  I'm so proud of Paul as a player and an individual.   He RULES!!!
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 12:30:06 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I personally have seen the 3OT Game 5 in 1976 vs Phoenix, Bird stealing the ball against Detroit to steal that game, PIerce's bringing back the Celts from the dead in 2002 vs NJ, Bird vs Dominique, all three come from behind in the games and the 3-1 deficit vs Philly in 1981, and although not the best game but just one of my favorites because I loved watching Vinnie Johnson and Adrian Dantley icing their heads after they collided into each other game seven of that 1987 ECF.

All legendary in my mind and that's just my time.

Before that there was Havilcek stole the ball, balloons in the rafters last game of Russell's career, and lots more.

But tonight's game is one that cements Pierce's legacy as an all-time Celtic legend. Outstanding.

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2008, 12:31:25 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I'm not going to say it wasn't a great performance or that he was overreacting, I'm just going to point that if he was wearing #23 and a Cavs uniform, everyone on this site would be saying what a baby he is and how he was trying to play the injured hero thing etc...

Awesome game by the Captain
Yup