Author Topic: Kobe Bryant is not Michael Jordan and Phil Jackson is overrated  (Read 6513 times)

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
Tired of hearing this comparion made and how kobe is the best player in the league. He is a selfish player(finally passing a little this year), he is a whinner, he yells at his teammate(recall him screaming down the throat of luke walton losing that one game against utah) puts them down also(interview mocking his own teammate andrew bynum). If you ask me nobody really in the lakers team care about him cept to use him to win a ring.

Phil Jackson might be a good coach(not legendary liek many think though)lets face the facts that it is because he had Michael Jordan and shaq that the main reason he won rings(no michael jordan because of semi retirement , no rings). How about with no shaq where have the lakers been the past 4 years??

Bias or not, without a true leader like Shaq or Jordan kobe nor phil jackson wont' be able get it done

What are your thought from a bias or objective point of view

Re: Kobe Bryant is not Michael Jordan and Phil Jackson is overrated
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 07:33:14 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Although Kobe is not MJ, he's the best player in the league right now. And like MJ, he lets his teammates have it from time to time. I remember hearing that MJ punched Will Perdue in the face. As far as Phil, he's a great coach because he gets the most out of his superstars. You don't get 9 rings as a coach only because you have a couple great players.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 07:41:14 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Although Kobe is not MJ, he's the best player in the league right now. And like MJ, he lets his teammates have it from time to time. I remember hearing that MJ punched Will Perdue in the face. As far as Phil, he's a great coach because he gets the most out of his superstars. You don't get 9 rings as a coach only because you have a couple great players.

But you don't get any without them. Has Phil ever won a title when he didn't have more talent than his opponent?

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 07:54:00 PM »

Offline Barnabas

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 11
Ok, Kobe is not quite on the same level as Jordan.  Jordan could very well be the best to have played the game.  But, right now, Kobe is the best player in the league. 

Phil Jackson is a good coach.  He has an offensive system that is proven to work.  Michael Jordan would go through explosions in which he would score 40+ points in the playoffs, against Boston in one game even, but never won the championship.  Not until Jackson came along and convinced Jordan and Pippen to buy into his system.  And, lest we forget, Chicago was also a top defensive team during his time there.  Jackson is also very good at finding the types of players that fit into his Triangle offense.  Particularly big guards like Harper, Shaw, Vujacic, etc.  Sure he won with talent, but can you name a championship team that had little talent?  Phil deserves the recognition that he gets.

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 07:55:37 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

But you don't get any without them. Has Phil ever won a title when he didn't have more talent than his opponent?
If he wins one this time he will. Or that's just my personal opinion. I feel that the Celtics are better than the Lakers this year.

I hate Phil with a passion. Almost as much as I hate Kobe. I've always said he's had great teams and players so he wasn't as good
as people said he was. But if he can take this team and beat the Celtics then I'll have to take most of what I've said about him back.
I'll still hate him regardless and probably even more so after it's all over with.

I know this will make many people in here mad but to me he's the NBA version of Bill Belichick. And that's not a complement.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 07:56:15 PM »

Offline pslakerfan

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9
  • Beware the beast in '09....Andrew Bynum

Didn't Auerbach have 8 hall of famers?  Doesn't Popovich have Duncan, Ginobili, Parker?  Didn't Pat Riley have Magic, Kareem, Worthy?  Did the Bulls win with Jordan before Jackson?  Did the Lakers win  with Shaq and Kobe before Jackson? 

The answers are:

Yes he did.
Yes he does.
Yes he did.
No.
No.

Maybe once every 10 years someone wins a title with lesser talent, but it is the exception. 

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 08:00:09 PM »

Offline pslakerfan

• Oshae Brissett
  • Beware the beast in '09....Andrew Bynum
Of course Kobe is not Michael Jordan, that would be physically impossible.  Kobe may be better, he may be worse, but who cares?  Was Magic better than Bird?  Kareem better that Shaq?  Different era's different players, different rules, they are all their own player.  And we should be glad.  I'll tell you what, I would love to see them go 1 on 1 in their primes, now that would be fun to watch.

(Now it is time for someone to post how MJ would win that game 100-0 like a good Kobe hater).

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 08:05:52 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
PS, Jordan would win but it would be 100-10. But only cause MJ would get tired from scoring so much. ;)

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 08:07:50 PM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
Of course Kobe is not Michael Jordan, that would be physically impossible.  Kobe may be better, he may be worse, but who cares?  Was Magic better than Bird?  Kareem better that Shaq?  Different era's different players, different rules, they are all their own player.  And we should be glad.  I'll tell you what, I would love to see them go 1 on 1 in their primes, now that would be fun to watch.

(Now it is time for someone to post how MJ would win that game 100-0 like a good Kobe hater).

I see you tried to slip a trick question in there. Obviously Bird was better than Magic.

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 08:09:23 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton

Didn't Auerbach have 8 hall of famers?  Doesn't Popovich have Duncan, Ginobili, Parker?  Didn't Pat Riley have Magic, Kareem, Worthy?  Did the Bulls win with Jordan before Jackson?  Did the Lakers win  with Shaq and Kobe before Jackson? 

The answers are:

Yes he did.
Yes he does.
Yes he did.
No.
No.

Maybe once every 10 years someone wins a title with lesser talent, but it is the exception. 

Larry Brown comes into mind to winning a championship with a lesser team talent than the 2004 lakers.

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 08:12:22 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

The answers are:

Yes he did.
Yes he does.
Yes he did.
No.
No.

Larry Brown comes into mind to winning a championship with a lesser team talent than the 2004 lakers.
And he did it because of good D too. Kind of like what Boston will bring to them this time.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 08:16:36 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Yeh, you really don't see the Cinderella Story win the NBA title a heck of a lot.  Usually the most  talented team wins.  And if you're lucky you have two (or more) equally talented teams at the same time.  If anything, that can be the knock against Phil Jackson - that his championship teams haven't had worthy opponents.  Which really isn't his fault.  Red had plenty of Hall of Famers, but you could definitely say he won against some pretty even;y talented opponents, and in a few cases, against teams with greater talent.  I'll make the argument that this will be the closest to an underdog Phil has brought to the Finals (though the national media would beg to say the Lakers are the favorite).  At the very least, it seems the most even Finals matchup - in terms of talent - that Phil Jackson has coached.  Detroit beat him less talent, but he's still 9-1 in the Finals as the favorite.

This will be his toughest test.
Yup

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 11:55:29 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
no shaq no problem. Kobe doesn't know what has hit him and phil doesn't doesnt either

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 11:57:16 PM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
lol....and people comparing paul to bird~

nope! no chance! stop it!

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2008, 12:07:19 AM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Has Michael EVER had a finals game as bad as Kobe's tonight? Michael was much better then Kobe - more athletic and more determined on the court.

Pete