Author Topic: Simmons continues his attempt to redeem himself  (Read 11190 times)

Re: Simmons continues his attempt to redeem himself
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 02:30:02 PM »

Offline pslakerfan

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9
  • Beware the beast in '09....Andrew Bynum
Not to keep harping on the subject  ;), but this quote from Lamar Odom speaks to my point.  "Kobe is the ultimate competitor, because he competes against himself," Odom said. "If he has got 50 points one game, the next game he wants to get 55 or 60. If his back is hurt, he wants to prove that his back isn't hurt. That rubs off on us."

And Laker Fans Don't Understand Why So Many Hate Kobe??
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 02:40:17 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
This article was probably referenced already, but I'm going a different way with it.

Bill Simmons pulls some gems out of Phil Jackson's book from a few years back, included these Kobe Bryant shining examples:

1. "Last spring, during a particularly acrimonious team meeting, Rick Fox complained to Kobe and Shaq. 'The thing that hurts about this season,' Fox said, 'is that you have both acted like you're apart from us, and that we're not any good.' ... Shaq, clearly affected, began to respond when Kobe cut him off. 'Quit your crying,' Kobe said. I then jumped in. 'Kobe, you're as much to blame as Shaq is, if not more.' "

2. "After the gun sounded, Kobe went over to Devean, berating him for not calling timeout when the play broke down. Kobe was right, but he was wrong to reprimand his teammate on the court, in front of the crowd and cameras."

3. "The woman who answered the phone at [Kobe's] home in Newport Beach said he was resting. Privately, the Laker organization, which includes myself, was furious. This was not the way for a professional athlete to behave."

4. "Despite our recurring conflicts over our four years together, I was genuinely concerned for [Kobe], concerned about how this young man could, in the soul-consuming NBA world, become a mature adult. "

6. "[trainer Gary] Vitti told us that Kobe has been threatening again to opt out of his contract, vowing 'to take Slava with me.' Slava. Was this an indication of Kobe's being totally out of touch with reality?"

8. "'You can't make that pass,' I told Kobe when he came off the court on the next timeout. 'Well, you better teach those mother[bleep] how to run the offense,' he said. I sat him down on the spot. 'Watch your mouth,' I said."

10. "Why don't the two get along? I have my theories, one of which is that Shaquille is making the type of money -- about $25 million a year -- that Kobe will never earn due to the changes in the league's collective bargaining agreement. No matter how many MVP trophies he might collect in the decade ahead, there is nothing he can do about this discrepancy. In fact, the word I got was that Kobe was the only player in the entire league who voted against the agreement because of the cap it puts on salaries."

There's about 20 more like it in the article.

And Lakers fans really wonder why so many people don't like this guy???  Yeah, he's a new person his year, fine, but that doesn't excuse his past in my mind.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2008, 02:45:17 PM »

Offline blake

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Poor BS.  No matter what he says from now on, he will be grilled by the Boston faithful.  He would have received a bashing if he claimed the title before it was won, and he received the bashing for saying they weren't going to get it.  Now he tries to explain everything and he still gets a bashing.  BS I feel sorry for you, but you have a dream job so I take away my sympathy.

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 02:51:44 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
They had a pretty lengthy interview with him on WEEI this morning.  I'm not a fan of Dennis & Callahan, but I did enjoy them grilling him on flip-flopping.

Where can I listen to that interview? Link?
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

Re: And Laker Fans Don't Understand Why So Many Hate Kobe??
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2008, 02:58:43 PM »

Offline cuckroller

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
I am always rather taken aback by these types of postings.  Apparently, we are being called to (and I speak as a Laker fan) to recognise Kobe Bryant's total immoral depravity, galvanize all the Laker fans and march through the streets while rioting, and demand that he go to the gallows!

Is it really so important our approval and understanding of the reasons of all the myriad Kobe Bryant detractors? 

Personally, I have never defended the many mistakes that Kobe Bryant has made in his life, nor his not particularly supportable arrogance.

However, with all this, if somebody ask me if I would be happy to see Kobe Bryant traded to the Boston Celtics, or another team, or immediately retire to placate everybody so apparently consumed in their every day lives by thoughts surrounding Kobe Bryant, then I just don't get it.

I do not feel like prostrating myself for the pleasure of fans of other teams that wish that Kobe Bryant was not a player in this League.  This expectation by others I find smacks of a morbose need of auto-affermation.

I am sure that if Kobe Bryant played for the Boston Celtics, or if he was a total non-impact player never getting off the bench, that we would not constantly have to contemplate this stuff.  If people need to denigrate someone else to justify that they so obviously harbor hate in their hearts toward someone, then that is their problem. 

Re: And Laker Fans Don't Understand Why So Many Hate Kobe??
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2008, 03:08:46 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I am always rather taken aback by these types of postings.  Apparently, we are being called to (and I speak as a Laker fan) to recognise Kobe Bryant's total immoral depravity, galvanize all the Laker fans and march through the streets while rioting, and demand that he go to the gallows!

Is it really so important our approval and understanding of the reasons of all the myriad Kobe Bryant detractors? 

Personally, I have never defended the many mistakes that Kobe Bryant has made in his life, nor his not particularly supportable arrogance.

However, with all this, if somebody ask me if I would be happy to see Kobe Bryant traded to the Boston Celtics, or another team, or immediately retire to placate everybody so apparently consumed in their every day lives by thoughts surrounding Kobe Bryant, then I just don't get it.

I do not feel like prostrating myself for the pleasure of fans of other teams that wish that Kobe Bryant was not a player in this League.  This expectation by others I find smacks of a morbose need of auto-affermation.

I am sure that if Kobe Bryant played for the Boston Celtics, or if he was a total non-impact player never getting off the bench, that we would not constantly have to contemplate this stuff.  If people need to denigrate someone else to justify that they so obviously harbor hate in their hearts toward someone, then that is their problem. 

Maybe it's different for me.  I live in California.  I spent 4 years in Santa Barbara, a breeding ground for LA kids looking to get out of LA. 

These are not brought on with the intention of forcing "hey look at what Kobe did" to Laker fans.  It is a retaliatory response to the numerous times over the years I've heard people question how anyone could not like Kobe.  It is for these reasons that I don't like him, yes, him being a Laker helps, but above all else it's my frustration that someone so talented could hurt his team so much.  Laker fans say "yeah, 3 straight titles, he sure did hurt us!" to which I say, "Why not 5 straight?  6? 7?"

Yeah, maybe I didn't need to post it.  But I know a lot of people on here don't like the guy and maybe had an opinion on these passages from Phil's book.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2008, 03:38:39 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Kobe Bryant is a tool. The guy is socially wacked, and really needed college to help him mature. Everything he says feels like a lie. All of his fake laughter, or fake "human" moments just leave me feeling embarrassed for the guy. The latest examples i can think of are the interaction with the TNT guys, when reacting to the Kenny Smith car jump spoof; or the MVP acceptance speech, where he responded to Luke Walton asking how he would reward his teammates. ...And then there is Colorado.

I'm glad Simmons brought up Phil Jackson's book, when the rest of the national media are trying to spin Kobe as a great guy.

Hey I really like guys like Derek Fisher and Rony Turiaf. But Kobe is a total jerk and a terrible teammate.

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2008, 03:44:25 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

LEAVE SIMMONS ALONE!!!!  HE'S DOING HIS BEST UNDER VERY STRESSFUL CIRCUMSTANCES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2008, 03:46:52 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Kobe Bryant is a tool. The guy is socially wacked, and really needed college to help him mature. Everything he says feels like a lie. All of his fake laughter, or fake "human" moments just leave me feeling embarrassed for the guy. The latest examples i can think of are the interaction with the TNT guys, when reacting to the Kenny Smith car jump spoof; or the MVP acceptance speech, where he responded to Luke Walton asking how he would reward his teammates. ...And then there is Colorado.

I'm glad Simmons brought up Phil Jackson's book, when the rest of the national media are trying to spin Kobe as a great guy.

Hey I really like guys like Derek Fisher and Rony Turiaf. But Kobe is a total jerk and a terrible teammate.

I loved the article.  He redeemed himself imo.  It's nice to see a bunch of negative quotes about the true character of Kobe while everyone in the media is having a giant Kobe buttfest. 

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2008, 03:53:19 PM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187
How about this lovely quote from the original bridge burner Shaquille O'Neal  -  "We have professionals who know what to do. No one is asking me to play with Chris Quinn or Ricky Davis. I'm actually on a team again."

"The worst teammate in the history of sports" is clearly a hyperbolic thing to say.  I get that, and I think most that read it did as well.  But I find it amusing that of the two ideas expressed in the sentence:

1) Kobe Bryant was a bad teammate
2) There has never been a teammate as bad (the hyperbole part)

You have chosen to twice attack the latter sentiment by suggesting that others are worse.  That's just an interesting tact to take, like a tacit admittance that he was bad but that that's ok, because surely in basketball history someone was worse.  As a fan, I'd think that would just be a battle I wouldn't enter into if that was the line I had to defend...

I am pretty sure that my point was that Kobe wasn't "the worst teammate in history".  However if you want to debate the first part I will be happy to oblige.  I don't think he was a bad teammate at all.  If you ask his current or former teammates, most of them are quite fond of him.  They recognize he is driven to win more than almost anyone and that he holds others to a higher standard, but they respect his drive and understand it is not a personal thing.  Was he selfish in the early part of his career?  Of course.  I don't know if that makes you a bad teammate or not.  He is certainly not the best teammate ever, but I would put him somewhere in the middle.  He is more scrutinized because of his ability, fame, etc. but I believe that there are many, many other players that are worse teammates.  Of course all of this is opinion, and I would never try to say otherwise, but I think the term "worst teammate ever", is ridiculous.

Also I believe the term is "tack" not tact. If I am wrong I apologize, I mean to educate, not disrespect.  I found this on the web.  "This expression has nothing to do with tactfulness and everything to do with sailing, in which it is a direction taken as one tacks—abruptly turns—a boat. To “take a different tack” is to try another approach".

Now see, this post I can appreciate (outside of the tack/tact part.  That was a bit cheesy).  If you think Kobe was a good teammate, then by all means argue the point and defend it (as you do here).  But to counter with...yeah, but Jordan was worse!  And Shaq too!...that was the part for which I would have chosen a different tack

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2008, 04:15:21 PM »

Offline blake

• Jayson Tatum
I am always rather taken aback by these types of postings.  Apparently, we are being called to (and I speak as a Laker fan) to recognise Kobe Bryant's total immoral depravity, galvanize all the Laker fans and march through the streets while rioting, and demand that he go to the gallows!

I do not feel like prostrating myself for the pleasure of fans of other teams that wish that Kobe Bryant was not a player in this League.  This expectation by others I find smacks of a morbose need of auto-affermation.

I am sure that if Kobe Bryant played for the Boston Celtics, or if he was a total non-impact player never getting off the bench, that we would not constantly have to contemplate this stuff.  If people need to denigrate someone else to justify that they so obviously harbor hate in their hearts toward someone, then that is their problem.  

I'm now headed to dictionary.com to learn what the definitions for depravity, galvanize, prostrating, morbose, auto-affermation, and denigrate are.  

and cuckroller...while I'm there you might want to check out this paper by Princeton professor Daniel Oppenheimer: "Consequences of Erudite Vernacular Utilized Irrespective of Necessity: Problems with Using Long words Needlessly"   It might shed some light onto the irony of your efforts.

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2008, 04:21:41 PM »

Offline RichT24

• Joe Mazzulla
Don't really understand why everyone takes his articles so seriously.  They are mostly for entertainment and then he gives his opinions (obviously) on what he thinks.  I dunno but I read a guy like BS more for entertainment than actual breakdowns on how things are going to play out. What he writes is fun to read, and thats all.

If I want a good breakdown on a sporting event I personally prefer ex-professional athletes the most.  While they might not be the best writers, like say Jalen Rose, they just have more insight and inside knowledge than the normal everyday Sportsguy. 

Just enjoy his articles, they arn't the end all be all.

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2008, 04:33:23 PM »

Offline pslakerfan

• Oshae Brissett
  • Beware the beast in '09....Andrew Bynum
How about this lovely quote from the original bridge burner Shaquille O'Neal  -  "We have professionals who know what to do. No one is asking me to play with Chris Quinn or Ricky Davis. I'm actually on a team again."

"The worst teammate in the history of sports" is clearly a hyperbolic thing to say.  I get that, and I think most that read it did as well.  But I find it amusing that of the two ideas expressed in the sentence:

1) Kobe Bryant was a bad teammate
2) There has never been a teammate as bad (the hyperbole part)

You have chosen to twice attack the latter sentiment by suggesting that others are worse.  That's just an interesting tact to take, like a tacit admittance that he was bad but that that's ok, because surely in basketball history someone was worse.  As a fan, I'd think that would just be a battle I wouldn't enter into if that was the line I had to defend...

I am pretty sure that my point was that Kobe wasn't "the worst teammate in history".  However if you want to debate the first part I will be happy to oblige.  I don't think he was a bad teammate at all.  If you ask his current or former teammates, most of them are quite fond of him.  They recognize he is driven to win more than almost anyone and that he holds others to a higher standard, but they respect his drive and understand it is not a personal thing.  Was he selfish in the early part of his career?  Of course.  I don't know if that makes you a bad teammate or not.  He is certainly not the best teammate ever, but I would put him somewhere in the middle.  He is more scrutinized because of his ability, fame, etc. but I believe that there are many, many other players that are worse teammates.  Of course all of this is opinion, and I would never try to say otherwise, but I think the term "worst teammate ever", is ridiculous.

Also I believe the term is "tack" not tact. If I am wrong I apologize, I mean to educate, not disrespect.  I found this on the web.  "This expression has nothing to do with tactfulness and everything to do with sailing, in which it is a direction taken as one tacks—abruptly turns—a boat. To “take a different tack” is to try another approach".

Now see, this post I can appreciate (outside of the tack/tact part.  That was a bit cheesy).  If you think Kobe was a good teammate, then by all means argue the point and defend it (as you do here).  But to counter with...yeah, but Jordan was worse!  And Shaq too!...that was the part for which I would have chosen a different tack

Excellent use of "tack".  I didn't mean to be offensive actually.  If I thought you were an idiot, I wouldn't have corrected it.  Call it "intelligent bloggers courtesy".  Anyway like I said I was first and foremost pointing out the ridiculous nature of his comment.  That was the point I was trying to make.  Feel free to critique my grammar if you like, I appreciate the help.  Really.

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2008, 04:34:36 PM »

Offline bbc3341

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
Simmons is a kind of pop culture reference, tongue in cheek Rain Man, he is an inside joke savant. That we don't always "get it" is part of the fun - yes I've googled or wikied some of his references! Sometimes his humor or intentionally ridiculous material goes over some heads. Let's put it this way, in EVERY Simmons column you get a healthy dose of hyperbole and exaggeration mixed in with obscure pop culture references and a lovably unhealthy obsession with Boston sports designed, at times, to ruffle feathers, it is what he does. He is a satirist at times and an entertainer always. He is not a reporter or a "serious" journalist a la Mr. Ryan. He is like the collective Id of Boston sporting fandom let loose with an overdose of irrelevant cultural knowledge!  In the words of Frank Drebin, "I love it!"
You're really Bill Simmons, aren't you? Or are you his agent or publisher?

Simmons is the kind of guy I could picture coming online and posing as someone else and singing his own praises.

I'm my own man!
Now, on to 18...

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2008, 04:45:42 PM »

Offline blake

• Jayson Tatum
If BS is on here, I'm sure he would be one of the more frequent posters.

Bob or Jeff, could you disregard your morals and tell us who the top 3 posters are from the LA area?

Thanks,
B