Author Topic: "The Lakers are the better team . . ."  (Read 20147 times)

"The Lakers are the better team . . ."
« on: June 05, 2008, 11:36:34 AM »

Offline CelticsPrideKG

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
Just heard for the 3rd time this morning how the Celtics "could" win the Title this year but (insert name here) is picking the Lakers because they are the better team.

I'm just confused as to what the evidence is that they are the better team.  Everyone knew they were one of the top teams all year but at this point I'm not sure where the evidence lies that proves that they are the better team.  Can't people at least wait for a game or two to be played before handing the title of better team to the Lakers?  If the Celtics win the series in 6 games is it because they were fortunate and LA is still the better team?

Really sick of all this Laker/Kobe love in the national media.  >:(

Re: "The Lakers are the better team . . ."
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 11:40:42 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Just heard for the 3rd time this morning how the Celtics "could" win the Title this year but (insert name here) is picking the Lakers because they are the better team.

I'm just confused as to what the evidence is that they are the better team.  Everyone knew they were one of the top teams all year but at this point I'm not sure where the evidence lies that proves that they are the better team.  Can't people at least wait for a game or two to be played before handing the title of better team to the Lakers?  If the Celtics win the series in 6 games is it because they were fortunate and LA is still the better team?

If the Celtics had beat Atlanta in 4 or 5 games and then Cleveland in 5 or 6 games none of this nonsensical "Celtics can win" talk would be happening. But because the Celtics took a couple of series to get used to playing playoff basketball together(which is completely different than playing regular season ball together), the entire sports reporting world has jumped all over the Kobe Express.

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 11:47:22 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

If the Celtics had beat Atlanta in 4 or 5 games and then Cleveland in 5 or 6 games none of this nonsensical "Celtics can win" talk would be happening. But because the Celtics took a couple of series to get used to playing playoff basketball together(which is completely different than playing regular season ball together), the entire sports reporting world has jumped all over the Kobe Express.

This talk would have still happened.  The experts just want to crown Kobe. 

I love the excuses.   The Celtics beat a injury ridden team (both Billups and Hamilton) while the Lakers killed the defending champs (never mentioning Manu playing hurt as well).

Celtics beat the lowly Cavs while the Lakers beat the Jazz (never mentioning Lebron and that they were a finals team last year)

« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 12:15:42 PM by wdleehi »

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 11:49:19 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

well, the "kobe express" is about to crash and burn in front of their eyes, so the media better be ready ;D

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 11:58:44 AM »

Offline plasmaPG

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 2

Yes, I believe this is the main reason that people are not picking the Celtics.  You guys were unstoppable in the regular season, just plow through everyone and then in the playoffs, it comes to a screeching halt and almost a defeat to ATL.  By not dispatching ATL quickly, the team raise quite a few questions to see if they can handle pressure basketball.  It seems that the celts are able to handle the pressure as I am sure Phil and Kobe are not taking the Celts lightly.

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 11:59:14 AM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
I'm not trying to be the naysayer here because, ultimately, I think the Laker media bias is crap (though it will make winning that much sweeter - thank you media!!). However, the Lakers have had to get used to playing playoff basketball together as well. I mean, I guess the Celtics have had to go through it in a more drastic way, but it's not as though this Lakers team has been playing together and winning championships together for years. They just added Gasol, Fisher is new this year (although he already knew the triangle well), and they've got a bunch of younger/newer guys that don't exactly have a dearth of playoff experience - especially together.

But there's no question that the C's early struggles in the playoffs provided much needed playoff experience. And it seemed pretty clear to me that by the time Boston faced Detroit, our boys figured it all out and got their mojo back. So, I definitely agree that the media are missing that point.

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 12:01:40 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
I'm not trying to be the naysayer here because, ultimately, I think the Laker media bias is crap (though it will make winning that much sweeter - thank you media!!). However, the Lakers have had to get used to playing playoff basketball together as well. I mean, I guess the Celtics have had to go through it in a more drastic way, but it's not as though this Lakers team has been playing together and winning championships together for years. They just added Gasol, Fisher is new this year (although he already knew the triangle well), and they've got a bunch of younger/newer guys that don't exactly have a dearth of playoff experience - especially together.

But there's no question that the C's early struggles in the playoffs provided much needed playoff experience. And it seemed pretty clear to me that by the time Boston faced Detroit, our boys figured it all out and got their mojo back. So, I definitely agree that the media are missing that point.

Fisher is not exactly new. He was there before with kobe and phil, he just returned. They only added one guy, Gasol, and they removed a detriment, Kwame.

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 12:07:11 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 162
  • Green 18!
Everybody is talking about #1 offense vs. #1 defense, and almost everybody picks offense (Lakers). But what everybody forgets about, is that the difference between the Lakers' defense and C's offense is much bigger, which should favor the C's.

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 12:09:04 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Everybody is talking about #1 offense vs. #1 defense, and almost everybody picks offense (Lakers). But what everybody forgets about, is that the difference between the Lakers' defense and C's offense is much bigger, which should favor the C's.

exactly! Our offense, with KG, Paul, and Ray, is not too shabby.

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 12:15:15 PM »

Offline CT34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38

Not only that but to piggy back off of what you said.  People forget that the Spurs beat the Suns when every time people favor the Suns offense over the Spurs Defense.  I like the Celtics in this series because when they play with something to prove they come out big.  Look at the Texas Two step or any trip out west.  The Celtics played big.  I think all the pressure is off them and let's give a big thanks to the national media for taking the pressure off a team that won 66 games during the season.

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 12:20:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Not only that but to piggy back off of what you said.  People forget that the Spurs beat the Suns when every time people favor the Suns offense over the Spurs Defense.  I like the Celtics in this series because when they play with something to prove they come out big.  Look at the Texas Two step or any trip out west.  The Celtics played big.  I think all the pressure is off them and let's give a big thanks to the national media for taking the pressure off a team that won 66 games during the season.
TP4U CT!!

The best post you ever wrote that I have read, IMHO!

That Spurs/Suns example is absolutely perfect and fitting. And you're 100% correct about this team and how they performed against the best teams out west on the road.

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 12:28:04 PM »

Offline westupcali

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2

I hope our C's just prove the critics wrong. They can use this as motivation being the underdog's by these quote on quote experts. Last saturday my teacher (laker fan) was bragging how the C's don't have a go to guy. Well I think we have the weapons to dismantle their go to guy and have some go to guy's of our own. The hungrier team that plays with heart will come out of this battle alive. Go Celtics!!!!

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 12:45:42 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5

Fisher is not exactly new. He was there before with kobe and phil, he just returned. They only added one guy, Gasol, and they removed a detriment, Kwame.
For what it's worth, I acknowledged that Fisher wasn't completely new, but he hadn't played with most of these guys.

And again, it's not as though there is a "core" on this Laker team that's been through big playoffs battles together (what, maybe Kobe, Phil, Walton and Fisher?). Admittedly, they're somewhere in-between the C's and the Spurs in terms of playoff experience together. But the sense I'm getting is that people think the Lakers' "experience" is that of a grizzled veteran team like the Spurs, whereas I'm arguing that this particular group of Lakers is more like the Celtics than the Spurs, in terms of playoff experience together.

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 12:48:17 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 162
  • Green 18!
Hey, Marc Spears just answered a question of mine! I will post the transcript once the chat ends.

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 12:52:43 PM »

Offline CelticsPrideKG

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24

I hope our C's just prove the critics wrong. They can use this as motivation being the underdog's by these quote on quote experts. Last saturday my teacher (laker fan) was bragging how the C's don't have a go to guy. Well I think we have the weapons to dismantle their go to guy and have some go to guy's of our own. The hungrier team that plays with heart will come out of this battle alive. Go Celtics!!!!

Just tell your teacher that the Celtics have at least 2 go-to guyS.  This has been seen as Paul has taken over games in the playoffs (Game 7 vs. Cleveland the biggest example) and Garnett has taken over games late (like Game 1 vs. Cleveland).  Ray has hit big shots late during the regular season and I'm sure he could in the Finals as well now that his stroke seems to be back.

The Lakers are talented too but I don't think the argument is valid that they are the only one with a guy who can hit big shots to win games.