Author Topic: YOU are the Celtic defensive coordinator  (Read 1684 times)

YOU are the Celtic defensive coordinator
« on: June 05, 2008, 08:32:40 AM »

Offline Barnabas

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 11
1)  Which would you consider more important, slowing down Kobe or disrupting the Triangle Offense? Why?

2)  Would you change the starting line up and have Posey start in place of Ray in order to put a bigger defender on Kobe?  Why or why not?

3)  Who would be on your rotation?  Why?

4)  Who would guard Gasol?, Kobe?, Odom?, Fisher?, Radmanovic? 

5)  Do you think a full-court would have enough value in disrupting the Triangle?  Are the Celtics capable of playing full-court pressure (ala Pitino style)?

Re: YOU are the Celtic defensive coordinator
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 08:46:03 AM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 162
  • Green 18!
1) Triangle. Kobe will get his anyway, so we have to contain the rest of the guys.

2) No. We can't change our game plan so late in the season. But Posey will have enough time (about 25 MPG) off the bench to guard Kobe.

3) Brown and Posey, for obvious reasons. I would also definitely go with House and Powe. House, I know, will just catch fire, and Powe neutralizes Turiaf. Cassell, Tony and Baby only when needed.

4) Perk on Gasol, KG on Odom. We have already taken away a lot of their firepower. Rondo on Fisher (Ray when Rondo struggles), Ray & Posey on Kobe. Pierce on Vladrad.

5) No. And no.

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 09:01:58 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The first thing I'd do as the Celtics defensive coordinator is thank Danny and Doc for hiring me because I always wanted to make a six figure income doing something I love.

1.) I would at this time just play our normal, tough defense and stick to the blitzing on the pick and roll, help rotations, and harassment on the perimeter. If this shuts down there offense I'd leave everything alone until the Lakers adjust and then I'd adjust back.

2.) The starting lineup stays the same but it doesn't mean that I'd be against some of Doc's small lineups with Pierce playing Kobe.

3.) Brown and Baby and Powe(maybe not all in the same game) giving Perk a breather on Gasol and beating the ever living snot out of him while at the same time moving him further out of the post to clog the Triangle. Posey of course and Eddie House. After all the support I threw Sam's way, he is now dead to me.

4.) Answered in 3.

5.) No, and with three stars over the age of 30 a full court press is ridiculous. Just have Rondo contest and harass Fisher being up the ball in the half court.

The key on the defensive end will be disrupting Gasol and guarding the LA shooters tight so that there are no outlets on the dribble penetration. LA kills with the dribble penetration on Kobe with guards collapsing in away from the perimeter three point shooters. Let the penetration happen with the bigs and weak side help doing what they do to Kobe and have the perimeter guys stay home.

And move Gasol off that block. This is imperative. Get him starting his offense 3-4 feet further out than he is used to. It kills their spacing and his inside moves.

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 09:02:10 AM »

Offline CT34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
1) Kobe is going to get his either way but the Triangle offense is design to get EVERYONE GOING.  You disrupt the offense to force Kobe to beat you.  The reason why the Cs went 7 game vs the Cavs was do to the fact that in the 3 game the C lost, Lebron had help from his teammate.  No one man can beat this team.

2)I wouldn’t change anything seeing how the Cs didn’t change the line-up all season when everyone was healthy.  Also Ray Allen has played Kobe more then anyone on our current team.  I think Ray look forward to the challenge.

3)I’m going 10 to 11 deep in this series if I have to. The Lakers seem to have a solid 9 man rotation and I expect to have about the same 9 to 10 man rotation.  

4)Perkins/Gasol, Ray/Kobe, KG/Odom, Rondo/Fisher and Paul/Radmanovic

5)No full-court D for me.  The Lakers are a good passing team and one or two good passes and they will get easy lay-ups.  We just have to trust our system, which by the way beat the Lakers twice this season.

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 10:18:45 AM »

Offline Barnabas

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 11
thanks for the response, guys

Here are my thoughts on the topic:

1)  Kobe will get his points, so I would concentrate more on defending and disrupting the Triangle.  The "How" is beyond me and my knowledge, ofcourse.  If we can, I will get Posey to play Kobe in the same way that Bruce Bowen did.  Basically, to make Kobe shoot jumpshots.

2)  Starting Posey helps on the defense, but hurts on the offense.  I would plan to continue with the current line up of starters, but will watch very carefully how Ray plays Kobe.  If Kobe looks like he's about to explode, and Ray isn't hitting his shots, then I would very quickly bring Posey off the bench.

3)  As far as rotation, the starting five, PJ, Posey, House (If he can handle the ball pressure from Fisher), and a little bit of Powe. 

4)  Perkins on Gasol, KG on Odom, Ray on Kobe, Rondo on Fisher, and Pierce on Rad.  I would hesitate to put KG on Gasol, for fear he might get in early foul trouble.  Same with putting Pierce on Kobe.

5)  The full-court press can run time off the clock, but as you all said, this is a veteran team with the main guys all over 30.  And the Lakers are the best passing team, plus they've got a huge height advantage over us.  They can easily pass over Rondo and Allen.