Author Topic: NBA Fast Break says Lakers bench has the edge  (Read 2268 times)

NBA Fast Break says Lakers bench has the edge
« on: June 05, 2008, 12:15:36 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
They made it seem like that thought was the general consensus. Do the majority of people really think this? Do you  guys think this at all? I completely disagree besides ET our bench has been one of the best in the league all year and it has been pretty good in the playoffs. I feel like this is an example of people not having watched enough of our games so we don't get due respect.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Re: NBA Fast Break says Lakers bench has the edge
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 12:21:29 AM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108

ESPN gives Celtics very little credit at all. If you don't have Kobe or Lebron on your team (who they love to hype up and drool about)they don't care about you. Why would they start now?  ::) LOL

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 03:50:08 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Yes, most people think the Lakers have a better bench.  Statistically, they're right; the Lakers bench outperformed ours in almost every way, other than in rebounds.  Points, assists, blocks, steals, +/-, etc., the Lakers ranked ahead of us. 

In the post-season, that gap has probably only widened, because our bench has been very inconsistent (due in part to the insistence of playing Sam Cassell over Eddie House, who clearly outproduced Sam during the regular season, and the decision to mothball our most offensive productive bench big, Leon Powe.)

If this series is decided by the depth of the respective benches, I think the Lakers will win.  Our advantage is in our top six or seven.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 04:41:37 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Yes, most people think the Lakers have a better bench.  Statistically, they're right; the Lakers bench outperformed ours in almost every way, other than in rebounds.  Points, assists, blocks, steals, +/-, etc., the Lakers ranked ahead of us. 

In the post-season, that gap has probably only widened, because our bench has been very inconsistent (due in part to the insistence of playing Sam Cassell over Eddie House, who clearly outproduced Sam during the regular season, and the decision to mothball our most offensive productive bench big, Leon Powe.)

If this series is decided by the depth of the respective benches, I think the Lakers will win.  Our advantage is in our top six or seven.

Well-said, RH (TP) ... I think their view/assessment of this is a bit aberrated for the simple fact that our best bench wasn't allowed to play for much of the playoffs, and that the rotation was so whacky during the regular season, that it's very hard to get a realistic perspective on just how good our bench can be, if used to it's peak abilities. Once again, it will come down to how they're utilized, and whether or not Doc uses the rotation the best way possible, at the appropriate times. Man, I'm as nervous about that as anything else, and I pray to God he's finally put the whole thing together ... time will tell. But when our bench is at it's peak, I think they're very comparable to LA's.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 08:22:12 AM »

Offline Barnabas

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 11
As you say, statistically, the Laker bench team have the edge.  They have more offensive weapons coming off the bench, better athletes.  But I don't believe they have anyone on their bench as savvy, experienced, and as tough as PJ Brown.  It's possible, just possible, that Sam Cassell will prove the value of his experience during this series.  I don't believe Fisher will have the physical/speed superiority that Billups, Stuckey, and Hunter had on Sam during the last series.  Maybe Powe can find a place for himself in this series.  Inside scoring can only help us.  As far as Eddie, I expect LA will follow the Detroit example and pressure him as soon as he has the ball with either Fisher or Vujacic.  I've not seen enough of Vujacic to see how well he pressures the ball, but evidently, the trio of Fisher, Vujacic, and Farmar were enough to pressure some very good PGs.

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 08:29:06 AM »

Offline goz421

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 34
The bench becomes less of a factor come playoff time anyhow.  We have better role players.