Author Topic: Patriots lineman arrested for intent to distribute meds; cooperates with gov't  (Read 3679 times)

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
New England Patriots offensive lineman Nick Kaczur was arrested in April for illegal possession of prescription painkillers and cooperated with federal agents in a sting of his alleged supplier, an attorney said.

According to Bernard Grossberg, the attorney for alleged dealer Daniel Ekasala, said Kaczur wore a wire to help agents build the case against Ekasala.

The Boston Globe, citing Grossberg, a federal affidavit and two sources who had been briefed on the investigation, first reported the story.

A Drug Enforcement Administration agent said in an affadavit that a cooperating witness -- whose name was not revealed -- wore a recording device during three drug buys in May in southeastern Massachusetts. In each of the deals, the witness bought 100 OxyContin pills from Ekasala for $3,900 in cash, the agent wrote.

Grossberg said Kaczur, 28, told investigators he had been purchasing hundreds of oxycodone pills from the man since November 2007, according to the report.
Kaczur, 6 feet 4 and 315 pounds, started 15 games last year at right tackle, protecting New England star quarterback Tom Brady during the Patriots' undefeated regular season. Originally from Brantford, Ontario, Kazcur was drafted by the Patriots in 2005 after playing four years at Toledo, where he was the first player in school history to make the All-Mid American Conference team in four seasons.

Kaczur, who has started 35 games for the Patriots over three seasons, missed the team's final regular season game Dec. 29 with a foot injury. He also was out for several games early in the 2006 season because of a shoulder injury.

Link.

One more unwanted distraction for the Pats.  If he was buying 100 pills per week, he's either dealing or has an extreme addiction.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 06:41:23 PM by Roy Hobbs »

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
One more unwanted distraction for the government, I would say.

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Why's that?  They love nothing more than making these busts.  It's always good press for them.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

Why's that?  They love nothing more than making these busts.  It's always good press for them.

Oh sure, it does make politicians look good. But it's your government (mine behaves the same way though) and I don't want (and wouldn't be allowed) to get into politics here. Let's just say that Milton Friedman was right.