Author Topic: Chart for best in the last two minutes  (Read 2624 times)

Chart for best in the last two minutes
« on: June 04, 2008, 03:11:08 PM »

Offline Smitty

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 11
Guys,

I need someone to provide a link to the chart regarding best players over the last several years in the last two minutes of games or on game-ending shots.  I saw this on C-blog some time ago.

Thanks,

Smitty

Re: Chart for best in the last two minutes
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 03:15:45 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 03:21:49 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Very interesting, looking at the team stats. 

We were the sixth worst team in the NBA scoring in the last five minutes of close games, behind pretty much the worst of the worst: Minnesota, Atlanta, Chicago, Miami, and New York.  Our field goal percentage was 24th overall, as were our free throw attempts.

What does anybody make of that?

(Also, despite our poor offense, we ranked 15th in +/- during those stretches, at +1 overall.  That suggests that even though the offense isn't getting it done, the defense is.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 03:30:32 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
What does anybody make of that?

(Also, despite our poor offense, we ranked 15th in +/- during those stretches, at +1 overall.  That suggests that even though the offense isn't getting it done, the defense is.)
The offensive execution down the stretch has been horrible all season. No surprise that the stats are what they are.

Similarly for the defense. In nearly all those games, the Celtics grinded it out with effort, messing up their opportunities offensively but coming through on defense or the backboards.

In terms of the offense they were as good as Paul Pierce was on the night. If Paul was going well he was able to create for his team(mates), games like Houston (KG) or Detroit (BBD) or Utah/Seattle for Paul's own scoring exploits. If Paul was struggling by and large they played stupid basketball.

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 10:30:35 AM »

Offline Smitty

• Jrue Holiday
Thanks Roy.  There was a list that covered like the last 5-10 years of players either hitting winning shots, hitting clutch FT's, or having a clutch assist and they added up all of them somehow.  This was months ago and I would love to put my fingers on that chart.

I believe that PP was on of the top 10 clutch performers over the last several years.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 10:52:39 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Thanks Roy.  There was a list that covered like the last 5-10 years of players either hitting winning shots, hitting clutch FT's, or having a clutch assist and they added up all of them somehow.  This was months ago and I would love to put my fingers on that chart.

I believe that PP was on of the top 10 clutch performers over the last several years.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

It's only updated through April 2006, but it's here.  Hopefully they update this some day.  At least as of that time, both Ray and Pierce ranked in the top 11, and both were ahead of Kobe in terms of shooting percentage on game winners.

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 11:03:59 AM »

Offline Smitty

• Jrue Holiday
Thanks much Roy:-))  Just what I needed!!