Author Topic: Who will the refs be playing for?  (Read 9407 times)

Re: Who will the refs be playing for?
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2008, 08:07:36 AM »

Offline Analyst

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
Who will the refs be playing for?

Hopefully their jobs. 

Leaders of free throws attempted per game In the Playoffs
Kobe is 4
Odom is 12
Pierce is 16
Gasol is 29
Garnett is 35
Allen is 51
I wonder why Celtic fans are prepared for the the C's to get shafted.

Come on folks.  We're not playing Cleveland.  I doubt Stern cares now that his chosen one, the primadonna was eliminated in the second round.  Kobe gets star calls.  Paul gets star calls.  Nobody else on either side is agressive enough to get them.  Nobody is getting shafted.  The better team will win...

Garnett is not going to get any free throw attempts taking 18ft jumpers.  Which is about 80% of his shot selection.  Paul has gotten progressively more aggresive as the playoffs have gone on.  If he continues he'll be up there with Kobe, as he usually is, in free throws attempted.

Let's not make excuses for our team.  We have Doc Rivers to do that for us.  Nobody has ever done that better.

How does stating facts turn into making excuses? The Celtics won 3 series in a row without getting the calls. Rondo is somewhere around 70th on the list. I think he takes it into the paint a fair amount of times.

More interesting stats.
Lakers regular season FTA's 27.7
Celtics regular season FTA's 26.5
Lakers Post season FTA's 29.5
Celtics Post season FTA's 25.0

Rondo's accountant couldn't arrange a loan large enough to buy him a call in the Pistons series.
I saw a comic strip where Koby Bryant was standing over Mike Bibby dripping with blood. Koby was a holding a smoking gun. The caption read. "You're just lucky this is a close game. Personal Foul on Sacramento number 10...."

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2008, 08:45:34 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I'd like to say for "Integrity", but unfortunately, it's more for their "paycheck" and a full 7-game series, if at all possible.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2008, 11:23:19 AM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
How does stating facts turn into making excuses? The Celtics won 3 series in a row without getting the calls. Rondo is somewhere around 70th on the list. I think he takes it into the paint a fair amount of times.

More interesting stats.

Rondo doesn't take many shots, Coach.  What is Rondo, like the 4th-5th option most of the time?  Half of his shots are jumpers.  Garnett, who shoots as much as anyone on the C's, takes 80% jumpshots....Maybe "in the paint", but still jumpers.  Paul was primarily a jumpshooter on the road until the semis.  Ray is a jumpshooter.  Where do you think these foul calls are coming from?  The only consistent inside player who gets "consistent??" minutes is Perk.

Doesn't make the Lakers better than us.  They have 3 players who play primarily inside.  We have Perk plus Paul who does when he wants to.  But it easily explains any free throw disparity.  If Kobe got primadonna calls, Laker games would last a week.  He'd be taking 40 free throws a game himself.

Those are the facts, Coach.

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2008, 05:36:38 PM »

Offline Analyst

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
In LA they're busy complaining how the refs have it in for them. Isn't that just the Lakers way. They complain so that the refs are on guard not to blow any big calls against them. They'll win directly due to a horrible against their opponent but complain about all of the bad they had to go through just to be in a position to win. It's nuts. Just look at the Brent Barry call. Lakers fans are saying "yah but look at all the calls that went against us in the last minute."

It's like I've always said "the Lakers will have calls go against them, just not the ones that determine the outsome of the game."

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2008, 05:56:47 PM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
In LA they're busy complaining how the refs have it in for them. Isn't that just the Lakers way. They complain so that the refs are on guard not to blow any big calls against them. They'll win directly due to a horrible against their opponent but complain about all of the bad they had to go through just to be in a position to win. It's nuts. Just look at the Brent Barry call. Lakers fans are saying "yah but look at all the calls that went against us in the last minute."

It's like I've always said "the Lakers will have calls go against them, just not the ones that determine the outsome of the game."

Hey, I am not above trying that strategy myself.  Anyone else willing to huff and puff to get our boys some better calls?  Doc?  Sam?  Perk?  Paul?

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2008, 06:11:08 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923

More interesting stats.

Rondo doesn't take many shots, Coach.  What is Rondo, like the 4th-5th option most of the time?  Half of his shots are jumpers.  Garnett, who shoots as much as anyone on the C's, takes 80% jumpshots....Maybe "in the paint", but still jumpers.  Paul was primarily a jumpshooter on the road until the semis.  Ray is a jumpshooter.  Where do you think these foul calls are coming from?  The only consistent inside player who gets "consistent??" minutes is Perk.

Doesn't make the Lakers better than us.  They have 3 players who play primarily inside.  We have Perk plus Paul who does when he wants to.  But it easily explains any free throw disparity.  If Kobe got primadonna calls, Laker games would last a week.  He'd be taking 40 free throws a game himself.

Rondo takes mainly jumpshots? So I'm imagining all the drives to the hoops he had had in the play-offs then?

Garnett takes far less than 80% jumpers. Paul was driving before the Cleveland series. Ray's been raped on the perimeter all play-offs.

Oh and I expect the refs to be pro LA. My prediction for tonight is that one of the big 3 has 2 fouls six minutes in.

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2008, 06:29:19 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Plowboy must have been watching the same games I was.

Rondo takes few shots relatively speaking.  About half are jumpers.  About half going to the basket.  To Rondo's credit, his jumpshot has become a weapon.  He has a hard time finishing because of his size.  Also, he wasn't getting any calls.  Especially against Detroit.

Garnett takes far less than 80% jumpers?  Really?  The "paint", as defined by the announcers does not constitute driving to the basket.  Garnett passes up some of his best shot opportunities in the paint.  Again, I must not be watching the same Garnett you are.  Paul was driving to the basket primarily in home games.  Nobody was going to the basket (except Rondo and Perk, who was already there in the first place) in Atlanta.  In Cleveland, pretty much the same situation except for one game in the series. 

If the Celtics go to the basket as much as the Lakers do, they'll get as many calls and win.  If they don't, they are going to have a very tough time winning the series.

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2008, 07:56:47 PM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9

More interesting stats.

Rondo is averaging 10.5 shots per game. In the playoffs he has taken double the amount of shots that Derek Fisher has. Fisher is primarily a jump shooter. Care to guess the difference in free throws attempted? 2

Rondo has taken 2 more free throws than Fisher even though he has played more games and goes to the basket way more often than Fisher

Do I expect him to get as many calls as Odom even though they are averaging the same amount of shots? Of course not but i do think he should get to the line a lot more than fisher. 

and I still haven't made an excuse. Just pointing out disparities.