Author Topic: Who will the refs be playing for?  (Read 9416 times)

Re: Who will the refs be playing for?
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 01:02:58 PM »

Offline Analyst

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
No matter how the refs call it, we just have to win in spite of the bad calls. I know they'll be coming, The C's just have to play above it.

In a seven game series you can't play above it. If they can't get you with bad calls then they get your best player out of the game with fantom fouls. If that doesn't work then they stop calling fouls on the opposition. Did Sacramento or Portland really have a chance? They both outplayed the Lakers but you can't stop the refs. They'll call technicals, throw you put of a game, and force the players to doubt wether or not they even have a chance. It's happened so often and always with the Lakers being the recipient. Has there ever been a time in recent memory when they were on the other end?

Check out this link - it says it all.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2003/story?id=1544876

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 01:27:20 PM »

Offline CelticKings

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 2
i think you can play through it in a series, you just have to persevere. the best example i can think of recently is game six versus detroit, we barely got any calls in that game but we just pulled through. we need more of the same in the finals.

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 01:44:34 PM »

Offline Analyst

• Xavier Tillman
i think you can play through it in a series, you just have to persevere. the best example i can think of recently is game six versus detroit, we barely got any calls in that game but we just pulled through. we need more of the same in the finals.

I like your optomism. I've always been a huge Celtics fan and hope that they're given a fair chance to win.

But my challenge is still out there to for anyone to find a series where the Lakers were the ones who got the short end of the stick.

My guess is that ESPN is picking LA as a heavy favorite so that the league won't take too much flack when they win with all of the bad calls. (ie: the team that was supposed to win won so it couldn't have been that unfair)

How on earth is LA the favorite anyways? We have two of the top 10 players in the NBA! LA has Koby #1 and Gasol. We still have Ray Allen - remeber him? He played very well at the end of the Detroit series. We have the top ranked defence in the NBA! We also had much tougher playoff opponents. We beat the unbeatable Rockets, swept a Texas road trip, beat LA twice, stymied LeBron then beat the team with the second best record in the league (Detroit).

If it wasn't for the ref factor then what else could the experts be thinking about?

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2008, 01:46:37 PM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9
David Stern won't stand for the current officiating. As in, he is so angry that the refs haven't gotten rid of the Celtics by now he will demand worse officiating against the C's in the finals.

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2008, 01:54:08 PM »

Offline Analyst

• Xavier Tillman
David Stern won't stand for the current officiating. As in, he is so angry that the refs haven't gotten rid of the Celtics by now he will demand worse officiating against the C's in the finals.

I agree! TP.
The calls will be subtle - a 2 point shot called back for an illegal screen, a fantom call against KG for him to pick up his 4th foul early in the 3rd. An offensive foul called on a Paul Pierce 3 point shot made (oh yah, we've already seen that one. Out of bounds calls going against Boston, especially late in the game. We'll see them all.
My favorites are Kobe getting three point play opportunites when he isn't touched by a defender. (Personal Foul on Kevin Garnett). The refs have an entire arsenal to choose from.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 02:27:05 PM by Analyst »

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2008, 02:33:20 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
I agree with you here,and i give the Celtics high marks for holding their tempers,and not losing it in certain situations,when it was obvious the refs made the wrong call...the Pierce call in Game6 is one example,of how we played through the bad calls without complaining,and still came out on top. ;D

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2008, 02:40:08 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
The Refs hate Kobe. He won't get any calls.

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2008, 02:44:02 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Have the officials for the finals been announced?

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2008, 03:03:24 PM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
Leaders of free throws attempted per game In the Playoffs

Kobe is 4
Odom is 12
Pierce is 16
Gasol is 29
Garnett is 35
Allen is 51

I wonder why Celtic fans are prepared for the the C's to get shafted.

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2008, 03:11:41 PM »

Offline silvershamrocker

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Believe In The Sleeve
Free Throw Attempts per team in 2008 playoffs...

1. Atlanta: 31.4
2. Phoenix 30.4 (hack a shaq)
3. Phiily/Dallas 30
5. lakers 29.5
6. Cleveland 29.2

11. Celtics 25

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/statistics?stat=teamstatoff&sort=fta&league=nba&season=2008&seasontype=3&avg=pg&order=true&split=0

"It will be fun watching the Lakers get those balloons down one at a time." - Bill Russell

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2008, 03:52:06 PM »

Offline Tommy Gun

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23

Kobe is 4
Odom is 12
Pierce is 16
Gasol is 29
Garnett is 35
Allen is 51

Jeez Ray Allen could sue the Cavs and Pistons for assualt and battery and have an air tight case but he is only the # 51 guy going to the line..

The issue I have is they call the cheesey stuff against the Celtics..Like a slight moving screen, or fouls dening the ball into the post, rebounding fouls..But they don't call the same fouls the other way.

Chauncey jumps into guys and always gets the call, or Hamilton chicken fighting you on offense and defense. Or Rashweed setting a screen and moving the entire time he sets the screen.

Let them play but call it both ways is all you can ask for.
See, this is why I'm not allowed to announce NBA games -- I'd be talking in the Cookie Monster voice right now:

Ahhhhhhhhhh ... my knee hurts ... ahhhhhhhhhhhhh ... me don't like when my knee hurts ...

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2008, 07:07:48 PM »

Offline Analyst

• Xavier Tillman
No matter how the refs call it, we just have to win in spite of the bad calls. I know they'll be coming, The C's just have to play above it.

In a seven game series you can't play above it. If they can't get you with bad calls then they get your best player out of the game with fantom fouls. If that doesn't work then they stop calling fouls on the opposition. Did Sacramento or Portland really have a chance? They both outplayed the Lakers but you can't stop the refs. They'll call technicals, throw you put of a game, and force the players to doubt wether or not they even have a chance. It's happened so often and always with the Lakers being the recipient. Has there ever been a time in recent memory when they were on the other end?

Check out this link - it says it all.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2003/story?id=1544876

My real belief is that the Celtics will win this thing in 5. I'm hoping that Stern doesn't care who wins the finals, that he can see the benefit of "allowing" the C's a title. Wouldn't it be great to see the Big Three holding up the O'Brien trophy?

I beg you Mr. Stern: Just Let It Happen. The NBA won't fold if the Celtics win a fairly officiated series - I promise.

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2008, 07:28:46 PM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
Who will the refs be playing for?

Hopefully their jobs. 

Kobe is 4
Odom is 12
Pierce is 16
Gasol is 29
Garnett is 35
Allen is 51

Come on folks.  We're not playing Cleveland.  I doubt Stern cares now that his chosen one, the primadonna was eliminated in the second round.  Kobe gets star calls.  Paul gets star calls.  Nobody else on either side is agressive enough to get them.  Nobody is getting shafted.  The better team will win...

Garnett is not going to get any free throw attempts taking 18ft jumpers.  Which is about 80% of his shot selection.  Paul has gotten progressively more aggresive as the playoffs have gone on.  If he continues he'll be up there with Kobe, as he usually is, in free throws attempted.

Let's not make excuses for our team.  We have Doc Rivers to do that for us.  Nobody has ever done that better.

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2008, 07:55:47 PM »

Offline tanner

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 33
My guess is that ESPN is picking LA as a heavy favorite so that the league won't take too much flack when they win with all of the bad calls. (ie: the team that was supposed to win won so it couldn't have been that unfair)

The conspiracy theorist part in me thinks so too.  The Celtics shall overcome.   :)

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2008, 08:27:17 PM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
Who will the refs be playing for?

Hopefully their jobs. 

Kobe is 4
Odom is 12
Pierce is 16
Gasol is 29
Garnett is 35
Allen is 51

Come on folks.  We're not playing Cleveland.  I doubt Stern cares now that his chosen one, the primadonna was eliminated in the second round.  Kobe gets star calls.  Paul gets star calls.  Nobody else on either side is agressive enough to get them.  Nobody is getting shafted.  The better team will win...

Garnett is not going to get any free throw attempts taking 18ft jumpers.  Which is about 80% of his shot selection.  Paul has gotten progressively more aggresive as the playoffs have gone on.  If he continues he'll be up there with Kobe, as he usually is, in free throws attempted.

Let's not make excuses for our team.  We have Doc Rivers to do that for us.  Nobody has ever done that better.

How does stating facts turn into making excuses? The Celtics won 3 series in a row without getting the calls. Rondo is somewhere around 70th on the list. I think he takes it into the paint a fair amount of times.

More interesting stats.
Lakers regular season FTA's 27.7
Celtics regular season FTA's 26.5
Lakers Post season FTA's 29.5
Celtics Post season FTA's 25.0