Author Topic: What got you through those "down" years?  (Read 8713 times)

What got you through those "down" years?
« on: June 04, 2008, 10:59:59 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
When it looked like we'd never be good again what kept you watching the Celts? I'd say usually the players and Tommy

I'd say there were five distinct eras and each one had its pros and cons. I am just barely old enough to remember Larry

Era 1.  Chris Ford. I know Montross and Dino Radja and Rick Fox and Sharman Douglas weren't great, but they were decent, and I liked watching them. Tommy could keep it fun. I figured this era would last a short time till we got good again.

Era 2 ML Carr.  I wanted to kill myself but hung in there for Duncan and possibly even Keith Van Horn. Toine gave me hope and so did Eric Williams. I try not to think of this time

Era 3 Pitino. I usually try not to think of this either. That first game was awesome. I had all the faith in the world in this guy. I attended the first preseason game. Then it was like pulling teeth till he left, except the brief tremendous happiness when Paul Pierce fell to Pitino 10th in the draft, and Pitino was like "I don't have to worry about Paul getting in shape cause Roy Williams already has him on my regimen"

Era 4 Jim O'Brien.  Thank God for this era. It was like watching a rocket car thinking "How far can it go"? Very enjoyable era except that horrid trade, but if it hadn't happened I'm not sure they would have gotten to the EC Finals

Era 5 Rebuilding. As much as this was a painful era I loved nearly all the players. Danny Ainge was so good at drafting we were always getting better, even the year we did horrid. This might have been my favorite era, although Era 1 was also enjoyable.

Re: What got you through those "down" years?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 11:01:18 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Mostly a combination of drugs and Punky Brewster. ;)
Yup

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 11:07:01 AM »

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 163
it is a good quesion.

answer? I am a celtics fan. my dad was, and i always have been, always will be. you stick with your team. i was with the pats, the sox, and the c's through the good and the bad.

all i ask out of my teams is that they try to win. they spend the money, do not play cheap, do what they can to get better. IMHO, all my teams do that, although it does not always work out, and sometimes their decisions may upset me.

plus, i was 8 in 1981, and I saw three titles with my own eyes (I cannot count the titles in the 70's, i was but a baby). three titles is nothing to complain too loudly about.
"Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider, huh?"

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 11:10:01 AM »

Offline miraclejohan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 82
  • Green 18 or Burst
Recording songs for each player on each roster.  It made everything better when ever player had their own theme song.

www.purevolume.com/miraclejohan

and

www.myspace.com/miraclejohan       there's a brand new one on myspace called BEAT L.A.
                                                              (and this is shamless self promotion) ;)
Green 17 vol. 1-4  available here: https://miraclejohan.bandcamp.com/

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 11:13:27 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Substitute "beer" for drugs and you've got a date  :o

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 11:14:55 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

Substitute "beer" for drugs and you've got a date  :o

I'm flexible ;)
Yup

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 11:19:06 AM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
Hope and the ease of getting tickets.

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 11:20:25 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
it is a good quesion.

answer? I am a celtics fan. my dad was, and i always have been, always will be. you stick with your team. i was with the pats, the sox, and the c's through the good and the bad.

all i ask out of my teams is that they try to win. they spend the money, do not play cheap, do what they can to get better. IMHO, all my teams do that, although it does not always work out, and sometimes their decisions may upset me.

plus, i was 8 in 1981, and I saw three titles with my own eyes (I cannot count the titles in the 70's, i was but a baby). three titles is nothing to complain too loudly about.

In truth, this sounds more like my take.  I can remember even during the depths of the ML Carr suckiness years finding some solace in guys hustling.  I remember admiring a guy like Alton Lister, who was clearly on his last NBA leg, giving an honest effort. 

Hell, last years team was very likable. 

Basically I love the game, and the Celtics are my team.
Yup

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 11:28:14 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I admit I forgot that the success of the Pats and later the Sox helped a little. Even BC helped a little at times. At least it wasn't all misery all the time. Now the Bruins are another story, but I think the success of all the teams made even them try a little harder and at least they got to the playoffs

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 11:33:22 AM »

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 163
it is a good quesion.

In truth, this sounds more like my take.  I can remember even during the depths of the ML Carr suckiness years finding some solace in guys hustling.  I remember admiring a guy like Alton Lister, who was clearly on his last NBA leg, giving an honest effort. 

Hell, last years team was very likable. 

Basically I love the game, and the Celtics are my team.

yes, that is it. even if your team stinks, hopefully, there is something to hang your hat on. if you are an AZCards fan, it is frustrating, but you look at players like dockett, boldin, fitz, wilson, and hope for improvement and the future.

last year's c's team was terrible, but i knew it was not that bad. pierce got hurt. wally got hurt, big al went down for a while. plus with gomes, west, perk,  big al, rondo, green, i had hope that the young guys could impove. i will always wonder what would have happened if the c's did not make any big trades this off-season (although i am obviosuly happy with the deals they did make).
"Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider, huh?"

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 11:41:18 AM »

Offline cool breeze

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 100

Lots of 'em.

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 11:47:46 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
In a strange way I used to like the bad years, there was no pressure, when they lost it was no big deal, there were so few real fans that I felt like they really were my team. I like this much better though.

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 12:26:11 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Through the last ten years?  One name:  Paul Pierce.  He's simply been my favorite Celtic to watch and its been a blast to grow up with him remaining the one constant.  Watching him grow from a rookie with a chip on his shoulder to the amazing '02 playoff run he had to today's transformation into the savvy veteran still chasing that ring.   I can't say enough about how much I've enjoyed the way this guy has played the game. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 12:37:28 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
I think the fact that I'm 21 and naive to how great it can be when the team makes a run deep into the playoffs feels.  Now that I've felt it I don't know how I could go back to the down years.  Before they were pretty much all I knew.

I agree that Pierce has been so entertaining to watch throughout his career.  There have been some highlights through these last through years, with the 2002 run being the best of times for me until now.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 12:54:11 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Through the last ten years?  One name:  Paul Pierce.  He's simply been my favorite Celtic to watch and its been a blast to grow up with him remaining the one constant.  Watching him grow from a rookie with a chip on his shoulder to the amazing '02 playoff run he had to today's transformation into the savvy veteran still chasing that ring.   I can't say enough about how much I've enjoyed the way this guy has played the game. 

another tp from me donoghus. saved me time by completely summing it up for me.