Author Topic: Memphis owner comments on Gasol trade  (Read 12756 times)

Re: Memphis owner comments on Gasol trade
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2008, 05:57:30 PM »

Offline seccom

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
Probably not an issue, but you never know....

Since he's selling the team anyway...  the once nice thing about those real low Laker 1st rounders is that the rookie scale for guys picked at the end of the first round is what, $750k-ish?  You get to sell to your fans that "we can rebuild around these first round draft picks" and have negligible financial committment.  Plus, you get Chris Wallace talking out his hindquarters about "Getting Marc Gasol is basically like getting another lottery pick!"  Who'd he say that about here?  Jiri?  Shammond Williams?  I distinctly remember him using that same line about some crap player we got in a deal....

What doesn't make sense to me, if the owner is doing the Gaston-plan to sell out and maximize value...  wouldn't it seem likely that leaving the team in the state that it is in would depress what he might be able to sell it for?  I mean, you make investment decisions based on a long-term outlook, but the Grizz have basically been rendered a franchise that could be folded and no one would care.  How's that maximizing the value of his investment?

Because winning or losing have very little to do the bottom line. The TV contract, the biggest piece of pie, is totally independent of the record.

Do you know Clippers is one of the more profitable team in the NBA?

What about the Celtics? They have a major turnaround in their records, how much more money that they can generate when you compare that with last year?

Ok. They sold more season tickets. They have sold out every game. This is easily offset by the luxury tax that they don't have to pay last year.

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2008, 06:01:06 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I guess Heisley is selling the Grizzlies franchise, not the Memphis Grizzlies. The new city won't care if they can't compete for a few years. Nevertheless, it was a pretty pathetic business. "Maybe Chris did call every team in the league. I don’t think he did, but maybe he should’ve…”"... geez.. I would ask for resignation immediately, if I was Wallace. On the other hand, I must confess that Marc Gasol's improvement during this season was absolutely breathtaking - like seeing Rondo in MPV discussions next year or something. If he can keep this (not a given) and successfully translate his game to the NBA (far from a given), then we'll be facing a whole different history.

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2008, 06:17:04 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
I'm glad the Lakers got him to help get them into the Finals.  It will just make the Celtics winning the championship even sweeter.  Would it have been as fun beating Utah or San Antonio?  I think not.

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2008, 08:59:42 PM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9
If I ran the Grizz, I would have made the same deal.  It saved 50-60 million dollars and the team was going nowhere with Gasol.  It remains to be seen how Memphis uses those two first rounders and how Javarais Crittendon develops.

The alleged offer from the Bulls is just a pile of crap.  The only player in the package of any real interest is Sefolosha.

The Darko signing is a separate issue, but he's still only 23 years old, right?

If saving money was your only factor then yes. I think the number is right around 50 million over 3 years. But why not shop around a little more save 30 - 40 million and position your team to get better. Wallace shouldn't have feared the lakers taking this offer of the table. Maybe even extract a little more from the Lakers. With Bynum hurt the Grizzles held all the chips.

The other thing is you would have to recognize that you set up a team in your conference to be a powerhouse for years to come.

Is it true 50 million is more than 30 - 40 millions?

You also have to remember, Memphis' owner want to sell the team ASAP. He may not be the owner next year. Why would he care what happen next year?

This trade also tell you something about the NBA as a business. Fans may care the teams' record, the owners may not.

In LA, there are 2 teams, Lakers and Clippers.

How many owners do not think are similar to Jerry Buss of the Lakers and how many of them are similar to Donald Sterling of the Clippers?

I bet there are more Sterling than Buss.

Heisley has said he is not trying to sell the Grizz. He also is admitting they made a mistake.

Get rid of Mike Miller if you want to start over. Not one of the best young big men for some magic beans.

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2008, 09:05:08 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Chris Wallace has no business making decisions on the roster of any NBA franchise.  Yet this jacktard was making our decisions.  Thank goodness he is no longer around.

What Pitino saw in him, I will never know.
Well at least when he was still under our employment, but in like a current Isaih Thomas like no power position, that prevented him with gift wrapping all-star's to our rival. Just saying...

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2008, 09:23:01 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
I actually like the Darko signing, its only three years. (Two years now.) And we've seen how movable an expiring can be. I think Darko is actually an okay player, just gets a much worse rap for not being as good as the guys picked right after him.

He's only signed at 7 mill per, which is a relative bargain, and they'll have bird rights (or whoever trades for him will) at the end of his deal. Very strong move.

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2008, 09:27:48 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Look, it's always leaked to the press prior to any all-star being traded. If this trade had been leaked that it was imminenent, I'm sure ten teams would of called Memphis with better offers. There's a reason no one ever heard of it. That''s the suspicious part. Wallace had everything to gain by not finalizing the deal until he heard feedback. For some bizzarre reason he expedited the deal.

In terms of expiring contracts, I can't see Minny not offering Ratliff and anyone not named Al Jefferson for Gasol. Foye, Brewer, and Minny's pick are better than what Memphis got.  McHale turning an aging (sorry just being realistic longterm) KG, who hadn't won anyting for them, in to two all star caliber big men in their 20's (one, basically just out of college age) would have been a great sell for him. Imo, McHale did a great job drafting KG, and a great job getting great value in return for his superstar. Teams never get great value. He got Big Al, who's as good as your gonna get as an available young player, big man at that, and he got his pick back, which very well might be a lottery pick. If KG doesn't balk at the original June trade, he'd hyave also gotten the C's #5 pick.

On another note, I still don't know why Minny didn't trade for A.I. during the '06-'07 season. They seem like they would have complimented each other perfectly. A.I. is everything KG needs in terms of a guy to take the shots in the 4th quarter. And KG is the perfect compliment to A.I. Iverson needs his costar to be unselfish. Can you think of a better unselfish player in the league than KG? A.I. and Melo? Poor combo. A.I. and KG? probably could of gotten you too the finals.

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2008, 10:01:55 PM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352

Because winning or losing have very little to do the bottom line. The TV contract, the biggest piece of pie, is totally independent of the record.

true~

wonder why we didnt get much national play last year?

the last time we got this much air play was when walker was ballin here~

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2008, 04:54:42 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
How about this three way deal (just throwing something out there, to show how possible it would have been.  Salaries may not match up exactly):

To Memphis: Noah, Jason Williams, Ricky Davis, Chicago #1
To Chicago: Gasol, J.C. Navarro
To Miami: Ty Thomas, Sefoloha, Chris Duhon, Viktor Khryapa, other expiring contracts

Which team does this one not work for?  Memphis is still getting screwed, but they're getting screwed less than they did in the Lakers deal.  And there's any other number of combinations they could have attempted.  Lots of teams would have been willing to facilitate a deal.

I don't know if Memphis is getting screwed any less. 

For one, Noah is making about a million more than Critendon (I know, small change to an NBA team...but I really think they are trying to save every cent).

But more importantly, they did not know what kind of pick they would be getting from the Bulls.  And chances are if the Bulls had made that trade, that pick would have been at least in the mid-first round.  Gasol makes them a much better team.

So they are trading Gasol AND Navarro for Noah and a mid first round pick.

Is that much better than trading just Gasol for Crittenden (who I wouldn't be surprised to end up as a better player than Noah), and two late first round picks.

Neither deal is all that good, and even if the one you suggested is slightly better, I think it is debatable.

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2008, 05:14:32 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
On a side note, did anyone else see Marc Gasol at the game on Thursday?  He was right in front of me when I was going into the game, and I have to say, he is one of the scariest looking dudes I have ever seen in person.  Pictures don't do him justice...in person he looks like a cross between Pau and Gheorge Mureson.

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2008, 05:32:04 PM »

Offline TrueGreen

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
Is there any way the league can look into the fairness of this trade? I mean there MUST have been something happening under the table, given they did not shop Gasol to other teams. I can't believe they accepted the Lakers offer, merely because they were waiting for a team to do them the honor of asking for Gasol.
The NBA needs to approve all trades. They did as good a job here as they do with remedying the officiating problem in the NBA. One thing they do well is to reverse decisions on hard fouls. Unfortunately it's done the next dayand the only thing that happens is the accused player isn't fined. They don't take back the points given away or the victory if that was the deciding factor.

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2008, 06:51:18 PM »

Offline seccom

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
Is there any way the league can look into the fairness of this trade? I mean there MUST have been something happening under the table, given they did not shop Gasol to other teams. I can't believe they accepted the Lakers offer, merely because they were waiting for a team to do them the honor of asking for Gasol.
The NBA needs to approve all trades. They did as good a job here as they do with remedying the officiating problem in the NBA. One thing they do well is to reverse decisions on hard fouls. Unfortunately it's done the next dayand the only thing that happens is the accused player isn't fined. They don't take back the points given away or the victory if that was the deciding factor.

Remember the Joe Smith free agent signing?

However, if CBA allowed it, the league had to approve the trade. There is nothing in CBA that put any value on talent. In fact, in the CBA, current contract = talent.

Kwame Brown's talent is 9 million, Gasol's talent is 14 million.

However, if Kwame Brown actually plays like a #1 pick of the draft. We would not have this thread. The complain about this trade is all come down to Kwame Brown's talent.

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2008, 06:53:53 PM »

Offline ManchesterCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
LOL.  ;D Check out this Laker Fan Board thread.

"just a few things

1. i don't think there is a regulation on the tightness of rims. Its home court advantage. Think of when you play at the parks. If you're a shooter, you would prefer those "single rim" hoops, and if you were playing against a shooter you'd prefer a "double rim" hoops.

2. sasha was probably talking about depth perception. each gym is a bit different, another aspect of home court advantage.

3. i can't believe some people here are actually talking about boston switching rims and using force fields and such. I know its sarcasm and not serious (at least i hope not), imagine if a celts fan came in and saw this thread. or imagine if we went to a spurs forum and saw threads on the lakers switching rims and stuff. Oh god i hope no one from boston sees this thread."

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=66165&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=50