Author Topic: The Celtics Are In the Finals Too  (Read 6008 times)

The Celtics Are In the Finals Too
« on: June 04, 2008, 01:30:51 AM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible
Here is what is on ESPN's front page right now:

Stephen A.: Kobe's journey

Adande: Kobe has reached the legacy stage of his career

Scoop: Kobe's Thirst

Watch: Kobe's Convo

Scouting Kobe

No Stopping LA

It isn't even about the Celtics/Lakers. It isn't about the Finals. According to the national media, the Lakers have already swept the series and they don't even remember who came out of the Eastern Conference.

This Kobe/LA suckfest is a bit sickening. Sure, we were hyped to begin the year, but this is almost outrageous. Every website you go to, it's 99% LA with a small Celtics article sighting here and there. ESPN, Yahoo, what have you.

The Celtics are in the Finals too.
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/

Re: The Celtics Are In the Finals Too
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 01:36:32 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Here is what is on ESPN's front page right now:

Stephen A.: Kobe's journey

Adande: Kobe has reached the legacy stage of his career

Scoop: Kobe's Thirst

Watch: Kobe's Convo

Scouting Kobe

No Stopping LA

It isn't even about the Celtics/Lakers. It isn't about the Finals. According to the national media, the Lakers have already swept the series and they don't even remember who came out of the Eastern Conference.

This Kobe/LA suckfest is a bit sickening. Sure, we were hyped to begin the year, but this is almost outrageous. Every website you go to, it's 99% LA with a small Celtics article sighting here and there. ESPN, Yahoo, what have you.

The Celtics are in the Finals too.

Yup ... it is extremely nauseating (TP) ... and it amazes me how moronic these people are, and how little they seem to know about how dominating a great defense can be. Guess this will be a wake-up call of epic proportions, eh? Frankly though, the more they make us the underdogs, the more I'm lovin' it!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 01:48:04 AM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible
Another thing I failed to mention in the opening post: If the Celtics win the title, it will still be the same. Let me point that out. If we raise banner #17, they won't talk much about what the Celtics did. They'll talk about what Kobe didn't do.

Then again, if we raise #17, I could care less what they write. But until then, at least acknowledge that the Celtics are on the same stage as LA.
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 01:55:39 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Another thing I failed to mention in the opening post: If the Celtics win the title, it will still be the same. Let me point that out. If we raise banner #17, they won't talk much about what the Celtics did. They'll talk about what Kobe didn't do.

Then again, if we raise #17, I could care less what they write. But until then, at least acknowledge that the Celtics are on the same stage as LA.

Most likely true, CB ... Kobe is one of their "Golden Boys" ... along with LeBron James, CP3, Dwight Howard, Dwayne Wade, T-Mac, Tim Duncan ... for whatever reasons, Pierce never made it to that list, and Kobe is far and away at the top. I'm hoping that Paul will shut Kobe down so completely that they'll have to take notice ... at least a little. If nothing else, the rest of the world will get to see how dissed Pierce has been for so long, and how great defense can once again be played at the highest level. Totally agree, though ... the Kobe crap has got me completely sickened at the sound of his name ... and whenevr I see that arrogant strut of his ... argh!!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 02:50:38 AM »

Offline PP34RG4

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
  • Thats me over Ray's right shoulder
Kobe has his rings. PP, KG, and Ray have waited their entire careers for this series. I don't think enough is being said about that now that they are there. All year it was how the finals have eluded them, and now everyone is turing away from the fact that you have THREE hungry vets who want that shot at glory (and to help stamp some hall of fame resumes). Getting into the finals was the hill none of these guys could climb, now they're here, and they're hungrier than Kobe and the Lakers.

What's even more sickening is the fact that if LAL wins this series, Phil Jackson will be all but awarded "the greatest coach ever" status. This won't happen on the Celtics' watch. Not with Red watching.

4 wins.

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 05:54:45 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
TP4U CB, I noticed the same thing yesterday.

The hilarious part of the entire ESPN coverage is if you went to their basketball page ther were articles about what was happening in Detroit than there was about the Celtics. And the Celtics are in the Finals!!! Coaches get axed during the playoffs all the time!!! But ESPN deems that Flip not coming back to the Pistons somehow warrants more coverage than the team with the best turnaround in league history playing for their 17th world title.

Truly amazing.

It's fairly obvious that ESPN doesn't believe in the FoxsNews motto of "Fair and balanced reporting". Then again neither does FoxNews or anyone else nowadays. Every "news" and "sports" reporting agency seem to have their own agendas.

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 06:39:53 AM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
I'm going to use my DVR as much as possible to skip thru all the nauseating punditry, Phil Jackson/Kobe worship, interviews, "history", endless timeouts, Jack Nicholson, and general bs.
IMO the C's have gotten their share of publicity this season, but this is network TV, and the Lakers are from LA, so what do you expect?
Anyway, I'm also incredulous that the C's can be considered underdogs, but who cares? If you're a gambler you should be happy- though I don't gamble so I really don't know what the odds are.
And if PP has a huge series(very likely) that would be great too, as long as we get #17.

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 07:50:49 AM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
If the C's win a couple of games at home they will get some respect. I wouldn't worry too much about it. ESPN and the like are expecting a sweep. The 5 game bit means that will will probably get lucky and win "one"

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 07:51:51 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
The proof will be in the pudding gentlemen and ladies. 
Yup

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 09:43:13 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
This is why all the 'experts' are picking the Lakers.  They want to crown kobe.  They want to talk about the new 'Jordon'. 

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 10:18:32 AM »

Offline Schintzius

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 68
They want to talk about the new 'Jordon'. 

Who's Jordon?   :D

Seriously, after the C's win games one and two, the ESPNs of the world are going to have to change their tune.   At least a bit.   The Lakers may win game 3, at which point they'll be back to their Kobe worship, but all the C's will need to do is win one in L.A., (which I think is very likely - the 2-3-2 will really help us), and wrap it up in 6.  Then all of the pundits can eat it.

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 10:29:55 AM »

Offline eddietours

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
this could make a nice dvd for celtics the underdog celtics overcomes the heavily favor laker team and brings Banner #17 lol  ;D

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 11:42:46 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
ESPN first Take.  'Coming up, can the Lakers lose the Finals.'

So many things I want to say that I would have to ban myself for. 

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 12:11:19 PM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187
Yeah, you are absolutely right.  I noted this same thing in the 'What should PP/KG say to ESPN if they win the finals?" thread.  It's more than a bit irritating.

And you are also absolutely right about the fact that if the Celts win, the story will still be "The Lakers lost!  Kobe's quest continues!"  The same already happened on a smaller scale with the Pistons...I've read more than one article and heard more than one sports radio personality (Mike & Mike, The Pulse) suggest that the Pistons lost more than the Celtics won last round.

I find it hilarious that in Scoop Jackson's article (one of the 6 Kobe articles leading ESPN NBA coverage) the entire premise is that Kobe is THIRSTY for a title, that while KG/Pierce/Allen might want a title Kobe NEEDS it and that's why the Lakers win.  What?  Are you serious?  Kobe NEEDS a 4th title more than KG, Pierce, or Allen need a first?  KG isn't as passionate in his desires as Kobe?  On what planet?

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 12:12:07 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
I don't know ... this reminds me a bit of the Dolphins/49ers Super Bowl in '85 or so ... Dolphins got ALL the hype going in.  Offensive teams with stars will always get that.  I think it's good for Boston.