Author Topic: Rondo....please explain  (Read 17723 times)

Re: Rondo....please explain
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2008, 04:58:30 PM »

Offline seccom

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
plasmaPG asked:

I know that Rondo is faster than Fisher but so was AI and Tony Parker.  Can someone explain why Rondo will the difference maker?  Everyone seems to say, "You haven't seen Rondo yet"..etc
Well, the Lakers have seen the 3 of the 5 best PGs in the league this playoffs.  Can someone point out why Rondo will give us fits and why he is better that AI, TP and Deron.....

Basically, I think, Rondo was a pleasant surprise.  He is overachieving given his position in the draft.  He has shown flashes that he will be a competent PG in this league.  And he can play solid defense.  He has quickness and good ball handling among his qualities.  However, I do understand where you're coming from.  I want the Celtics to win, but I must admit that I see nothing spectacular about Rondo, when you look at him as a complete player.  He has very good qualities, like his quickness and defense, plus competent ball handling.  But he is not the ideal, traditional PG.  His below average proficiency shooting from a distance is a handicap, not being a strong finisher, and his penchant for mistakes (which hopefully we will see less of as he matures) are keeping him from being a model PG.  

Now, why do some people around here believe he's the "difference-maker"?  That, I believe is just fandom.  Personally, all I look for out of Rondo in this series is good defense of the perimeter and to bring the ball into play.  I don't believe Rondo will "dominate" Fisher at all.  That's unlikely, for the reasons that you stated.  But you are on a Celtics fan site, so you can understand why some of the fans are biased and may not be seeing the whole picture about a particular Celtic player that they like.  I suspect a lot of these big Rondo fans were the same guys that were dazzled with Marcus Banks a few years ago.  A young guy, with lots of speed and quickness, and that's all it takes to win the hearts of some fans.  They quickly forget the shortcomings.  Banks, ofcourse, turned out to be a dud.  Rondo looks like he'll turn into a decent PG, with some upsides and some downsides to bring to the table.  But yeah, I do not see Rondo having his way with Fisher.  Yes, he may beat Fisher off the dribble on occasions, but what will Rondo do once he gets inside, surrounded by a seven-footer and two 6'10s?  On top of that, he's not a great finishes.  No doubt Fisher will also light him up with a three-pointer here and there.  Rondo will have a few highlight plays, but Fisher's overall steadiness will probaby go unnoticed, but will make a difference in the game.

I think you miss the point of Rondo's talent..Fisher can't guard him and Rondo will play lock down D on Fisher..Rondo is an excellent at driving and has developed a great floater it does'nt always go but so what..If he can penatrte and dish that is huge..Many games rondo was the Cog that made the Celtics go he has to get assisits and play D and rebound and set the tempo..Not score 30

We don't need him to be Deron Williams or Chris Paul..Rondo will be a star in this league sorry you can't see that.

All the posts keeping coming back to 3 points:

1. Rondo is excellent at driving and dish.
2. Rondo shot pretty well.
3. Rondo is a lock down defender.

But at the same time,

1. We do not need him to be good
2. The other team gave him the open look.
3. He is making mistake.
4. Fisher will light him up from distance.

I just don't get it.

« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2008, 05:09:12 PM »

Offline noblegreen

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 3
We all know the Laker team that you guys wallop twice is not the same team it is now.  The team now consists of MVP Kobe and Gasol.  And we all know that regular season wins doesn't do much except to give you home court, ask Dallas last year. 

first off kobe has always been there, and dont tell me hes better now then he was when we played you. second gasol is not going to make the lakers a better team than the celtics, yes it improves your team but i like having the defensive mvp than a spaniard who waas HURT when his team won anything for SPAIN, we dont mention that do we.

and what does "ask dallas last year"  have to do with anything? did we lose in the first round?

please make your points relevant, i hate wasting time with stupid comments

« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2008, 05:10:13 PM »

Offline plasmaPG

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 2
Quote from: Tommy Gun

I think you miss the point of Rondo's talent..Fisher can't guard him and Rondo will play lock down D on Fisher..Rondo is an excellent at driving and has developed a great floater it does'nt always go but so what..If he can penatrte and dish that is huge..Many games rondo was the Cog that made the Celtics go he has to get assisits and play D and rebound and set the tempo..Not score 30

We don't need him to be Deron Williams or Chris Paul..Rondo will be a star in this league sorry you can't see that.

I never said he won't be a stud PG someday, I just see him as a 4th/5th option that will compliment your team, the same way Fisher would complement the Lakers.  I don't expect Fisher to score 20/10ast, but what he will give is solid defense, the 3 pointers, heady play, steals. 

It just seems that Boston fans think that Rondo will "dominate" or "run circles around" Fisher where I see Rondo will not "dominate" anymore than Deron or TP has done in the playoffs.

« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2008, 05:10:53 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
plasmaPG asked:

I know that Rondo is faster than Fisher but so was AI and Tony Parker.  Can someone explain why Rondo will the difference maker?  Everyone seems to say, "You haven't seen Rondo yet"..etc
Well, the Lakers have seen the 3 of the 5 best PGs in the league this playoffs.  Can someone point out why Rondo will give us fits and why he is better that AI, TP and Deron.....

Basically, I think, Rondo was a pleasant surprise.  He is overachieving given his position in the draft.  He has shown flashes that he will be a competent PG in this league.  And he can play solid defense.  He has quickness and good ball handling among his qualities.  However, I do understand where you're coming from.  I want the Celtics to win, but I must admit that I see nothing spectacular about Rondo, when you look at him as a complete player.  He has very good qualities, like his quickness and defense, plus competent ball handling.  But he is not the ideal, traditional PG.  His below average proficiency shooting from a distance is a handicap, not being a strong finisher, and his penchant for mistakes (which hopefully we will see less of as he matures) are keeping him from being a model PG. 

Now, why do some people around here believe he's the "difference-maker"?  That, I believe is just fandom.  Personally, all I look for out of Rondo in this series is good defense of the perimeter and to bring the ball into play.  I don't believe Rondo will "dominate" Fisher at all.  That's unlikely, for the reasons that you stated.  But you are on a Celtics fan site, so you can understand why some of the fans are biased and may not be seeing the whole picture about a particular Celtic player that they like.  I suspect a lot of these big Rondo fans were the same guys that were dazzled with Marcus Banks a few years ago.  A young guy, with lots of speed and quickness, and that's all it takes to win the hearts of some fans.  They quickly forget the shortcomings.  Banks, ofcourse, turned out to be a dud.  Rondo looks like he'll turn into a decent PG, with some upsides and some downsides to bring to the table.  But yeah, I do not see Rondo having his way with Fisher.  Yes, he may beat Fisher off the dribble on occasions, but what will Rondo do once he gets inside, surrounded by a seven-footer and two 6'10s?  On top of that, he's not a great finishes.  No doubt Fisher will also light him up with a three-pointer here and there.  Rondo will have a few highlight plays, but Fisher's overall steadiness will probaby go unnoticed, but will make a difference in the game.

But at the same time,

3. He is making mistake.

I just don't get it.

We need Rondo to be good. But we don't need him to be as good as NO and SA need Parker and Williams to be good. Very, very, very far from it. We just need Rondo to: limit TOs, take good care of the ball (he'll almost certainly will); provide lock down defense (he will); take the open shots and hit some of those (he can hit them, not sure if he's going to take them in lalaland). But in our team, Rondo is a role-player. Not comparable situations. It's not going to happen, but if Rondo goes to play like Parker and DWill played against the Lakers, putting similar numbers, you wouldn't win a single game.

« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2008, 05:15:10 PM »

Offline plasmaPG

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 2

first off kobe has always been there, and dont tell me hes better now then he was when we played you. second gasol is not going to make the lakers a better team than the celtics, yes it improves your team but i like having the defensive mvp than a spaniard who waas HURT when his team won anything for SPAIN, we dont mention that do we.

and what does "ask dallas last year"  have to do with anything? did we lose in the first round?

please make your points relevant, i hate wasting time with stupid comments

I did not say that Gasol made the Lakers a better team than Boston, I said Gasol made the lakers better than when we had Kwame Brown.  At least we can all agree with that.

The Dallas reference was to show that regular season wins does not amount to anything but home court advantage as one poster was boasting about Boston's 66 wins.  There are a lot teams that won the most games and didn't win the championship. 

« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2008, 08:40:42 AM »

Offline goz421

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 34
Dallas aside I believe the teams who have won the most games have faired pretty well.

« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2008, 08:46:47 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
plasmaPG asked:

I know that Rondo is faster than Fisher but so was AI and Tony Parker.  Can someone explain why Rondo will the difference maker?  Everyone seems to say, "You haven't seen Rondo yet"..etc
Well, the Lakers have seen the 3 of the 5 best PGs in the league this playoffs.  Can someone point out why Rondo will give us fits and why he is better that AI, TP and Deron.....

Basically, I think, Rondo was a pleasant surprise.  He is overachieving given his position in the draft.  He has shown flashes that he will be a competent PG in this league.  And he can play solid defense.  He has quickness and good ball handling among his qualities.  However, I do understand where you're coming from.  I want the Celtics to win, but I must admit that I see nothing spectacular about Rondo, when you look at him as a complete player.  He has very good qualities, like his quickness and defense, plus competent ball handling.  But he is not the ideal, traditional PG.  His below average proficiency shooting from a distance is a handicap, not being a strong finisher, and his penchant for mistakes (which hopefully we will see less of as he matures) are keeping him from being a model PG.  

Now, why do some people around here believe he's the "difference-maker"?  That, I believe is just fandom.  Personally, all I look for out of Rondo in this series is good defense of the perimeter and to bring the ball into play.  I don't believe Rondo will "dominate" Fisher at all.  That's unlikely, for the reasons that you stated.  But you are on a Celtics fan site, so you can understand why some of the fans are biased and may not be seeing the whole picture about a particular Celtic player that they like.  I suspect a lot of these big Rondo fans were the same guys that were dazzled with Marcus Banks a few years ago.  A young guy, with lots of speed and quickness, and that's all it takes to win the hearts of some fans.  They quickly forget the shortcomings.  Banks, ofcourse, turned out to be a dud.  Rondo looks like he'll turn into a decent PG, with some upsides and some downsides to bring to the table.  But yeah, I do not see Rondo having his way with Fisher.  Yes, he may beat Fisher off the dribble on occasions, but what will Rondo do once he gets inside, surrounded by a seven-footer and two 6'10s?  On top of that, he's not a great finishes.  No doubt Fisher will also light him up with a three-pointer here and there.  Rondo will have a few highlight plays, but Fisher's overall steadiness will probaby go unnoticed, but will make a difference in the game.

But at the same time,

3. He is making mistake.

I just don't get it.

he's a second year player, and really a first year starter.

what people are saying is he has the same ups and downs all talanted second year plyers have.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2008, 09:44:43 AM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Rondo has amazing quickness and length - so he can play the passing lanes well. I don't think the Lakers have matched up against a PG like that. Actually the Celtics present some difficulties for even a great passing team. People think passing "beats" a good defense. However with the C's length some of those passes will be turnovers.

Posey, Rondo, KG is a length nightmare for a passer....

Pete

« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2008, 02:44:28 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
nice job rondo!!

i was kinda expecting a "Rage" Against "the Machine" but oh well