Author Topic: Rondo....please explain  (Read 17613 times)

Rondo....please explain
« on: June 03, 2008, 06:58:38 PM »

Offline plasmaPG

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 2
For the record, I am a die hard Lakers fan and I come here to get a detail analysis of why all the Boston fans on numerous forums seems to think Rondo is the difference maker in the series. I know that he is an important cog in the wheel that was able to win 66 games this season.  I can understand that, he is the 4th or 5th Beattle in your group.

But, what has Rondo done that the other PGs in the west didn't.  I mean we contain all 3 PGs that we played:

TP(4 time champ, multi all-star) 22.4pts 6.1 ast
DW(all star)  21pts 10ast
AI(finals, scoring champ, multi all-star) 24.5pts, 4.5 ast

Rondo( second year starter) 10 pts 6.6 ast

Now we didn't completely shut them out( you can't really shutout a great player), but they didn't hurt us that bad for us to lose the series.  I believe that we can do the same to Rondo and it's important to know that he is in his second year and have NO experience in the finals whereas Fisher has 3 rings, 4 finals appearances, multi playoff games, etc.

I know that Rondo is faster than Fisher but so was AI and Tony Parker.  Can someone explain why Rondo will the difference maker?  Everyone seems to say, "You haven't seen Rondo yet"..etc
Well, the Lakers have seen the 3 of the 5 best PGs in the league this playoffs.  Can someone point out why Rondo will give us fits and why he is better that AI, TP and Deron.....

Re: Rondo....please explain
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 07:03:35 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Well, for one, he won't be the focus of the defense.  Unlike the previous three point guards, the Lakers defense won't look to stop Rondo.  If that's the case, he's going to get a lot of 1-on-1 time with Fisher, which won't be good news for the Lakers. 

Furthermore, if Doc gets him to stop cheating off his man so much, he can be an in-your-face, disruptive defender that could basically take Fisher out of the game.

Time will tell though which Rondo shows up. 

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 07:04:41 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
1) Rondo doesn't have to be a top scorer for this team.  It is not his role.   But put the ball in his hand, and he creates for other teammates.  When he attacks the rim, the top three scorers for the Celtics are the pass outlets. 

2) Rondo is a bigger pest on defense then any of those guys.  He doesn't get his steal from playing the passing lane (like AI), he picks pockets. 

Rondo doesn't have to be an all star for the Celtics to win.  He just needs to be the annoying defender and attacking ball handler.  There are three other players on this team that are stars. 

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 07:05:23 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Well for one thing he is a much superior defender to all 3 of those PG's. People seem to forget that there is more to the game then just offense. He was probably the best defensive PG in the playoffs this year. He doesn't have to put up the numbers that those other 3pg's put up against you, because like you mentioned he is the 4th option on offense, but his defensive ability is what I think many Laker fans are overlooking.

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 07:06:20 PM »

Offline eddietours

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
l tell why rondo is like a version of jason kid to some extend he dosen't really need to score big like the west PG the kid is only 6'1 rebound like crazy and puts alot of on ball pressure on the other team PG also know when to help on defense 8)

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 07:08:45 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Rondo is much better than all of those guys defensively, which will make a difference.

I do not, however, think that anybody can make an argument that Rondo is a better player than Deron, Parker, or Iverson (a point guard in name only), especially on the offensive end.  What we have that those other teams didn't, however, is an overall better team that plays crushing defense.  If we get a contribution out of our fourth best player, that means things are looking up for us.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 07:09:39 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
It's the little things that Rondo does that makes him good. First, he rebounds like a pf. It probably drive opposing fans nuts. Second, he is great at stealing the ball and not by overplaying the passing lanes. His is all man to man and in help defense. It's all in his hands. There like the hands of a 7 footer. Next, he is not scared to take a big shot. He jumper is very raw right now but looks fantastic when the Celtics need it the most. Finally, he has great court awareness. This helps his defense, as mentioned before, and makes him a good play-maker.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 07:09:56 PM »

Offline plasmaPG

• Jordan Walsh
Well for one thing he is a much superior defender to all 3 of those PG's. People seem to forget that there is more to the game then just offense. He was probably the best defensive PG in the playoffs this year. He doesn't have to put up the numbers that those other 3pg's put up against you, because like you mentioned he is the 4th option on offense, but his defensive ability is what I think many Laker fans are overlooking.

Sure, he's a great defender but he will be defending Fisher or Farmar who doesn't score much anyways.  It's not like he will be on Kobe or something.

I believe his dribble penetration will be the key, if he can dribble penetrate and pass out to allen or pierce, it will be deadly.  But the lakers can counteract that by making him a jump shooter as he has shown he can not consistently make the 15-20 footer.

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 07:11:47 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Sure, he's a great defender but he will be defending Fisher or Farmar who doesn't score much anyways.  It's not like he will be on Kobe or something.

I believe his dribble penetration will be the key, if he can dribble penetrate and pass out to allen or pierce, it will be deadly.  But the lakers can counteract that by making him a jump shooter as he has shown he can not consistently make the 15-20 footer.

Not having a PG that is a must heavy cover is not that helpful.  Rondo is extremely good at picking the pocket of another defenders man because the offensive player rarely sees him come. 

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 07:13:07 PM »

Offline plasmaPG

• Jordan Walsh
It's the little things that Rondo does that makes him good. First, he rebounds like a pf. It probably drive opposing fans nuts. Second, he is great at stealing the ball and not by overplaying the passing lanes. His is all man to man and in help defense. It's all in his hands. There like the hands of a 7 footer. Next, he is not scared to take a big shot. He jumper is very raw right now but looks fantastic when the Celtics need it the most. Finally, he has great court awareness. This helps his defense, as mentioned before, and makes him a good play-maker.

Good to know that he plays d well.  I do hope he's not scared to take the big shot as I am sure the Lakers will make Rondo beat them from the outside instead of driving and dishing.

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 07:14:37 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

Rondohondo, are you trying to suggest that a Lakers' fan would neglect discussing defense in a debate about the Celtics and Lakers?!  The nerve you have!

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 07:18:44 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Actually PlasmaPG I don't think his shot lacks consistently so much as his confidence in it or his willingness to take it does.  This season he's shot a very good percentage from 15-20, but he's more comfortable driving so he passes it up too often.  Also another factor I've yet to see mentioned is his assist to turnover ratio is EXCELLENT.  I would not be surprised if its the best of any PG in these playoffs, he just doesn't give up the ball that often, possibly a reason why Phil is considering putting Kobe (your best wing defender) on him.

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 07:19:51 PM »

Offline ChainSmokingLikeDino

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 96
And not to nitpick but Tony Parker's only got 3 rings.  ;)

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 07:21:02 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

Good to know that he plays d well.  I do hope he's not scared to take the big shot as I am sure the Lakers will make Rondo beat them from the outside instead of driving and dishing.
  Thats what fans of the Hawks, Cavs and Pistons said. Rondo has done the job so far, including the clinching 18 ft jumper to eliminate the Pistons. He is not a great shooter but he seems to always make an important shot or play to help win the game . I know one thing Rondo isn't going to freeze in important situation, the kid has big cojones and isn't affraid of taking a shot

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 07:21:11 PM »

Offline payjo

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3

We get the "big shot" argument. We heard it with Cleveland, we heard it with DEEEtroit, and we're hearing it now. He hit a DAGGER from 15 in Game 6 on the conference finals, and had back to back three's which probably saved the Cavs series. Furthermore, if the Pistons and Cavs couldn't "force Rondo to beat them" then I don't believe the Lakers inferior (but underated!!!!) defense will be able to succeed in this either. Especially given their weak interior defense.