Author Topic: Celtics' Pre-Draft Workouts  (Read 12038 times)

Re: Celtics' Pre-Draft Workouts
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 01:08:44 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
heres an interview with hardin before the season began:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmWw5K2ZwLk

just sounds like a really intelligent, likeable hard-working kid much like leon. would not mind seeing him here at all.

and like Leon, also went to UC Berkeley -- Go Cal Bears!  ;D
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2008, 04:14:04 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
praise to hardin aside if we stay at 30 id rather our pick be a wing for 3 reasons:

1) we are already so young in the frontcourt with perk, powe, and bbd. next season id probably do the exact same thing we did this season which is get a vet big man to come off the bench.

2) we arent OLD but certainly oldER at the wing with paul, ray and posey. combine that with the fact tony likely will not be back.

3) it is exactly that age and experience why i want a young wing here. what better 3 guys to learn from then the aforementioned 3. each incredibly hard-working, passionate, professional and committed to winning. this is the group i wished gerald wouldve been introduced to when he was drafted. but if we could bring in a kid like CDR, or walker(who professes to be a HUGE paul pierce fan). an athlete who can bet mentored by 3 of the best it could help keep this thing going for a while(especially if posey leaves either after this season or next).
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2008, 11:06:34 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
praise to hardin aside if we stay at 30 id rather our pick be a wing for 3 reasons:

1) we are already so young in the frontcourt with perk, powe, and bbd. next season id probably do the exact same thing we did this season which is get a vet big man to come off the bench.

2) we arent OLD but certainly oldER at the wing with paul, ray and posey. combine that with the fact tony likely will not be back.

3) it is exactly that age and experience why i want a young wing here. what better 3 guys to learn from then the aforementioned 3. each incredibly hard-working, passionate, professional and committed to winning. this is the group i wished gerald wouldve been introduced to when he was drafted. but if we could bring in a kid like CDR, or walker(who professes to be a HUGE paul pierce fan). an athlete who can bet mentored by 3 of the best it could help keep this thing going for a while(especially if posey leaves either after this season or next).

I like the idea of a big talented wing....Tell me that Billy Walker's supposed off-court issues will be a non factor in his N.B.A. career, and tell me that his injury history will fade into the distant past and not poke its ugly head up again.....then sign me up for Billy Walker!!!

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2008, 11:28:43 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

This is all true, except we need length in the back court. Powe and Davis are not shot blockers, so playing them together often hurts us.

I agree that an athletic, defensive-oriented wing is probably our next priority, but I suspect we will pick the best player available between these two positionns at 30.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2008, 02:59:46 PM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
Do we have any other workouts scheduled?

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2008, 03:28:32 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

I like the idea of a big talented wing....Tell me that Billy Walker's supposed off-court issues will be a non factor in his N.B.A. career, and tell me that his injury history will fade into the distant past and not poke its ugly head up again.....then sign me up for Billy Walker!!!

Apparently Walker injured his knee in a workout (http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/ ) -- a partial tear to the miniscus so no more pre draft workouts for him.  I assume he will stay in the draft, though, as he really wants to play in the NBA.  At this point because of the injuries I assume he will be there for the taking at #30.  The question is whether Cs want to gamble on a player that seems to get injured a lot.....
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2008, 03:31:58 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Apparently Walker injured his knee in a workout (http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/ ) -- a partial tear to the miniscus so no more pre draft workouts for him.  I assume he will stay in the draft, though, as he really wants to play in the NBA.  At this point because of the injuries I assume he will be there for the taking at #30.  The question is whether Cs want to gamble on a player that seems to get injured a lot.....

If he stays in the draft with that injury, and refuses to workout (or more importantly let teams examine his knee/MRI), then my gut feeling would be that he has a promise from a team late in the first round. 

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2008, 04:27:39 AM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
Interesting note: George Hill, who for sure is a second rounder that the C's worked out on the 3rd of june stayed in the draft. Perhaps something is afoot.

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2008, 06:33:10 AM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 162
  • Green 18!
Interesting note: George Hill, who for sure is a second rounder that the C's worked out on the 3rd of june stayed in the draft. Perhaps something is afoot.

Yeah, and Pargo dropped out. But I really don't think we will take Hill. It will probably be Forbes.

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2008, 04:57:42 AM »

Offline Last Train

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
Trent Plaisted is nice and athletic. But he is a tease more than anything. He is very soft - and we all saw how that works out when the chips are down. I'm a BYU fan, so I'm pulling for him. But the way he finishes with this lame scoop shot will just not fly in the NBA. He is a little stronger on defense though, but I see him getting in foul trouble.

Giddens can flat out score, though he can’t shoot a free throws if I recall correctly.

Have the Celtics been working out ANY prospects for the draft?
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2008, 08:27:37 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
This article on RealGM suggests not really (just Texas Tech's Martin Zeno, hello)...

http://www.realgm.com/src_feature_article/174/20080623/2008_player_workout_list_(updated)/

This suggests what has been tossed around, that Danny will take a flyer on an overseas player to keep roster flexibility. But I hope if there's a good college player on the board (especially at the 2 or 5) that we might take him. Considering the salary going to KG, PP and Ray, it's going to be tough to manage the cap year to year in a way that will keep quality players in green. I hope we're doing our homework despite winning #17..

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: Have the Celtics been working out ANY prospects for the draft?
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2008, 10:04:34 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Yes, they have worked out several players.  There was a topic on this someone started not so long ago, but I don't think it is fully up to date:
http://www.celticsblog.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=64&topic=18879.0
also info here: http://www.celticsblog.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=64&topic=20110.0

The list so far seems to be:
Jeremy Pargo
James Mays
Richard Hendrix
George Hill
Gary Forbes
Martin Zeno

Possibly A. Ajinca....

Also, some players take part in a big workout attended by many scouts... the Cs have attended at least one for Ante Tomic
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Word-on-the-Street-Rounding-Up-2940/

« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 10:22:59 AM by Cman »
Celtics fan for life.

Re: Have the Celtics been working out ANY prospects for the draft?
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2008, 10:45:06 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
well Danny is the master of the smokescreen, so maybe he doesn't want to work out a certain player because he is so interested in them, maybe by working these guys out he's hoping to boost their draft stock, who knows what Danny will do, but I think we all know 9 times out of 10 he'll get his guy
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2008, 02:42:40 PM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
Danny must not be very interested in anyone at this range. Either that or he has his mind set on someone and he is trying to make sure he's available. We'll find out in a few days.

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2008, 03:02:23 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Danny must not be very interested in anyone at this range. Either that or he has his mind set on someone and he is trying to make sure he's available. We'll find out in a few days.

From the list above, I would be very happy with either of Richard Hendrix or George Hill (not necessarily in that order).
Celtics fan for life.