Author Topic: Celtics' Pre-Draft Workouts  (Read 12076 times)

Celtics' Pre-Draft Workouts
« on: June 03, 2008, 05:43:26 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
June 3rd:

Jeremy Pargo
PG
22 years old
6'2''
208 lbs
wingspan: 6'5''
Gonzaga, Junior

George Hill
Combo G
22 years old
6'3"
181 lbs
wingspan: 6'9"
IUPUI, Junior

Re: Celtics' Pre-Draft Workouts
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 08:28:38 AM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
Today (June 5) we will work out (link):

Gary Forbes
SG/SF
23 years old
6'6"
221 lbs
wingspan: 6'11.25"
UMass, Senior

We also wanted to work out (link):

J.R. Giddens (injured himself)
SG
23 years old
6'5"
208 lbs
New Mexico, Senior

We are clearly looking to replace Tony Allen, and also going for older and more experienced players. But why haven't we worked out any Centers so far? Also by the positions the four worked out players are in several mock drafts, I believe we will trade down into the second round (our 30 pick). Seems fine to me, as those guys won't be guaranteed anything. I also hope we buy a pick in the 20-25 range to select a Center like Jawai, Hardin, Thompson or Hibbert.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 08:36:22 AM by P2 »

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 10:38:10 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Thanks for the updates (you beat me to it!)

Of the four workouts so far I am most excited about Gary Forbes.  Draft express has become very high on him after his play in Portland and Orlando.  He will probably sneak into the first round. 

It would be nice to see a some Centers (Hardin in particular), but all in due course I guess.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 10:45:51 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
SG
23 years old
6'5"
208 lbs
New Mexico, Senior

Man, he injured himself ... ugh!  I've been posting for months now that this should be the C's guy.  He's got super talent and athleticism but a checkered off-court record.  Assuming his off-the-court stuff is investigated and he can be a stand-up guy in the NBA, he would be great for the C's.  The injury might also be good news in that he should stay under the radar.  He's the kind of guy that would shoot up the charts with healthy pre-draft workouts since he's super atheltic and got lots of talent.  NBA evaluators tend to forget about the off court stuff when they see such athelticism.  Perhaps this may allow the C's to nab him in the 2nd round.

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 10:53:44 AM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Green 18!
I don't think Forbes gets into the 1st round, but I really like him. So either we pick him at 30 if his stock rises, or we trade into the 2nd round and get him at 35-45. I would be really happy with Forbes and Thompson.

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 11:28:41 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I don't think Forbes gets into the 1st round, but I really like him. So either we pick him at 30 if his stock rises, or we trade into the 2nd round and get him at 35-45. I would be really happy with Forbes and Thompson.

Yeah, I agree about trading into the 2nd round.  The Celtics could wait to see if anyone falls to them at #30, otherwise trade the pick and move to the top of the 2nd round.  I think the Portland Trailblazers are an interesting potential trade partner here since they hold two high 2nd rounders (#33 and #36) and since Paul Allen always likes to deal....
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 12:01:17 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Green 18!
Portland has 4 picks, 3 of them in the 2nd round. They really don't need those. We could basically give them #30 for two picks (33 + 36/55) and pick either another player who was overlooked during the first round or a European project like Omri Casspi.

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 01:46:03 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Early second round picks have more value than late 1st round picks: no guaranteed contract and the talent is only marginally worse. Portland can use those picks to trade up for a better on than our #30.

I agree with P2: it seems we are clearly looking to replace Tony Allen. I just hope we're not looking for a clone: I'm not the most knowledgeable person about college ball, and I've never seen any of these guys playing (I guess I've seen Pargo, but I can't remember him - or anyone from his team, apart a very skinny and tall forward with a great long-range shot whose name I forgot); but I don't like the fact that the biggest weakness of Pargo and Giddens seems to be decision making, playing out-of-control, ball handling... Anyway, only flawed players will be available when we draft, and I'm pretty sure that if Giddens has turned himself around, he would be a steal. I also like what I've read about Hill and particularly, Forbes (he played for UMass, anyone here has seen him during these 4 years?).

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 01:56:34 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all

Of the four workouts so far I am most excited about Gary Forbes.  Draft express has become very high on him after his play in Portland and Orlando.  He will probably sneak into the first round. 

It would be nice to see a some Centers (Hardin in particular), but all in due course I guess.

Couldn't agree more CMAN ---- Hardin is the guy i really hope we get.  I feel like swing guys are really a dime a dozen, but late in the 1st round you can get guys like Perk, Millsap, Josh Boone, Carl Landry, David Lee, Jason Maxiell....

I think we could really use some more size up front -- esp. to ease the load long term on KG.  Keep him fresh.
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 02:22:54 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Couldn't agree more CMAN ---- Hardin is the guy i really hope we get.  I feel like swing guys are really a dime a dozen, but late in the 1st round you can get guys like Perk, Millsap, Josh Boone, Carl Landry, David Lee, Jason Maxiell....

I think we could really use some more size up front -- esp. to ease the load long term on KG.  Keep him fresh.

I think you also need to take a look at Plaisted.  He is almost as athletic as Hardin, but when I saw him play, he seemed to have a better feel for the game.  He reminded me a lot of Lee.

SG
23 years old
6'5"
208 lbs
New Mexico, Senior

He's the kind of guy that would shoot up the charts with healthy pre-draft workouts since he's super atheltic and got lots of talent.

From what I understand the biggest question with him is not his "off the court" stuff as it is his issues on the court.  Supposedly he has had some maturity issues on the court (which led to a suspension at New Mexico), and from what I have read about the Orlando camp, he was cruising at times, and not playing consistently hard.  Those are the type of things that can make a player drop like a rock.

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 02:33:15 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Green 18!
I think you also need to take a look at Plaisted.  He is almost as athletic as Hardin, but when I saw him play, he seemed to have a better feel for the game.  He reminded me a lot of Lee.

Plaisted has a 35.5" (30.5" no step) vertical, while Hardin's only 32" (29.5" no step). But Hardin is about half an inch taller and his wingspan is 4.5" longer.

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 11:46:42 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Plaisted has a 35.5" (30.5" no step) vertical, while Hardin's only 32" (29.5" no step). But Hardin is about half an inch taller and his wingspan is 4.5" longer.

Those numbers don't mean much...Hardin is a hell of an athlete.  Plaisted is a good one himself though.

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 12:34:48 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
heres an interview with hardin before the season began:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmWw5K2ZwLk

just sounds like a really intelligent, likeable hard-working kid much like leon. would not mind seeing him here at all.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 12:53:22 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
SG
23 years old
6'5"
208 lbs
New Mexico, Senior

He's the kind of guy that would shoot up the charts with healthy pre-draft workouts since he's super atheltic and got lots of talent.

From what I understand the biggest question with him is not his "off the court" stuff as it is his issues on the court.  Supposedly he has had some maturity issues on the court (which led to a suspension at New Mexico), and from what I have read about the Orlando camp, he was cruising at times, and not playing consistently hard.  Those are the type of things that can make a player drop like a rock.

Maybe "off the court" isn't exactly right, "character" is better.  But, this guy led the Mountain West in both points and rebounds (so he didn't cruise much last year) ... I believe the last guy to do this was Andrew Bogut.  To me, Giddens is every bit the player that another New Mexico Alum is - Danny Granger.

This link pretty much shares my opinion that he would climb the charts in workouts, if given the chance ... although the injury might dampen that. Hey, that's fine with me.  If the C's could nab him in the second round there would be nothing to lose.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Cross-Country-Workout-Swing,-Part-Two-Priority-Sports-LA-2884/

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 12:57:37 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
More on Giddens ...

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/JeffGoldblumwithDownSynd/NBA/27802

Most people forget he was a McDonald's All-American and originally started at Kansas.  What scouts remember is his attitude at Kansas but he has turned that all around after leading New Mexico into the NCAA tourney and gaining the support of his once bitter teammates.  Giddens has the skills of a lottery pick and seems most likely to become the next All-Star out of the second round.
Best Fit:  L.A. Clippers, Portland, Indiana

This guy is wrong though ... New Mexico went to the NIT, not the NCAA ... they were on the bubble looking in.