Author Topic: Flip Saunders will not be back with the Pistons  (Read 6439 times)

Flip Saunders will not be back with the Pistons
« on: June 03, 2008, 11:07:03 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
The Detroit Pistons say Flip Saunders will not be back as coach next season.

"Decisions like this are difficult to make," team president Joe Dumars said on the team's Web site. "However, at this time, I feel it is necessary to make a change."

Link

Who do they hire from here?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: Flip Saunders will not be back with the Pistons
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 11:08:08 AM »

Online libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
That's too bad.  He seemed like a good guy.  I hate to think the C's were responsible for his dismissal, but that appears to be the case.

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 11:08:15 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Not sure.

And do they make another run with this team or do the make a major trade to shake the team up?

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 11:11:13 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Joe Dumars should go all out for JVG and try to convince him to come back to coaching. He's the only experienced with enough ability that fits their squad.

Joe gave Flip a lot of time and security over his tenure. Coaching candidates won't miss that. Joe is a great GM to work for. I think he'll be able to talk JVG into taking the job. Just as importantly they've got a good squad and some young talent coming through. Very attractive destination.

And do they make another run with this team or do the make a major trade to shake the team up?
They have to make changes to their starting unit. Their core has to be broken up.

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 11:14:07 AM »

Offline CelticsPrideKG

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
That stinks.  Always liked Flip as a coach and I think he has run into some bad luck as a coach . . . Cassell getting hurt in 2004 for the Lakers series and having no PG, facing the great Celtics team this year, etc.  Would have made more sense to fire him last year IMHO.  Losing to the Cavs was unacceptable but I think they have some headcases on that team that are going to be difficult for any coach to get to focus on a consistent basis.

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 11:15:27 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Wasn't flip's fault. I don't think the Pistons or dumars or sheed for that matter were really letting Flip do his thing. The Piston's don't need a head coach, they need a half-time motivational speaker to keep their heads in teh games

Tony Robbins anyone?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8INnLREUp0

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 11:17:06 AM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
The JVG suggestion is a good one. I can't think of anyone else who would fit in Detroit. I don't think Flip deserved to take the fall on this one.

I wonder if Flip becomes the frontrunner for the Bulls job. Or maybe the Suns? It seems like one of those 2 teams will snatch him up.

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 11:19:18 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Will Flip be a leading candidate for Phoenix?

The Suns aren't exactly flooded with experienced candidates especially ones with an offensive coach reputation.

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 11:46:57 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
This is the mentality that exists in the heirarchies of the NBA that really bugs me ... a guy gets his team to the Eastern Conference Finals, and yet his job is more in jeopardy than a guy who coaching a last-place team. Huh? I just don't get it.

"OK, you got us to the semi's, Flip, but since you couldn't get us over-the-top, you've got to go!" Jeez ... I mean, I'm not crazy about the guy, and yes, this team has come close many times and not seemed to have the final thrust, but when a guy's getting you so deep each year, don't you think he's doing something right? Wouldn't you'd sooner think your team is just a player or two short?

It's a bit baffling to me, and it's the same "made or trade" philosophy that players are assessed by today. Sorry, but there's something to be said for consistency and loyalty, and I miss the teams of the 80's, whose core groups were kept together as much as possible, in order to achieve the familiarity and consistency that the best teams have had. Today, if it's at all questionable ... trade him ... or fire him, and roll the dice again.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 01:10:59 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
I guess it is easier for management to say it was the coach, then themselves.

I do know a perfect replacement for him...Isiah!! He should take real good care of that franchise-LOL

How about Avery Johnson for there team?

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 01:31:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I heard Dumars and Isiah Thomas were once rather close.

Isiah is looking for a job, kinda. Joe Dumars needs a coach. We need the Pistons to suck as much as possible.

It's a win-win-win on all sides!

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 01:48:41 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
Joe Dumars should go all out for JVG and try to convince him to come back to coaching. He's the only experienced with enough ability that fits their squad.

Joe gave Flip a lot of time and security over his tenure. Coaching candidates won't miss that. Joe is a great GM to work for. I think he'll be able to talk JVG into taking the job. Just as importantly they've got a good squad and some young talent coming through. Very attractive destination.

They have to make changes to their starting unit. Their core has to be broken up.

I agree, it has to be JVG. 

Dumars is possibly the best general manager in the NBA (sorry Danny) given his teams' continuing competitiveness.

If it were me, I would probably try to move Rip and Rasheed.  Give Stuckey's excellent play, I can understand moving Billups as well, though if he'd take more of a back-up role, he's active in Detroit (where activism is very much needed these days) and I would want to keep him there.

I like the idea of teaming Beasley up with Billups.

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 02:11:09 PM »

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 163
Assistant coach Michael Curry seems to be the leading candidate right now. it should be an interesting offseason for the artists formerly known as the bad boys.
"Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider, huh?"

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 03:36:29 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Assistant coach Michael Curry seems to be the leading candidate right now. it should be an interesting offseason for the artists formerly known as the bad boys.
I think Detroit needs a new voice, I don't think Joe D should hire someone from within his organization or that locker room.

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 03:41:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think Detroit needs a new voice, I don't think Joe D should hire someone from within his organization or that locker room.
If he did that how would he control the lockerroom. At this point the Detroit coach is just a puppeteered figurehead for Joe Dumars and until he decides he wants to coach, Detroit will always find non-strongheaded individuals.