Author Topic: Moving to Indianapolis?  (Read 3780 times)

Moving to Indianapolis?
« on: June 03, 2008, 12:06:39 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
Need some opinions.  I've got a job offer in Indianapolis that I'm strongly considering.  Does anyone live out there now or has lived out there with some opinions about living there?  I really liked the city when I was there for my interview; cost of living seems cheap, city is clean, traffic isn't too bad, and I'll get to see the Pats play this year and at least 2 Celtics games a year (plus the added bonus of seeing Mike Dunleavy play basically whenever I want).

I'm in Nashville now but I'm getting sick of the tourist-y crap.  My other possible locations would be other midwest towns. 

Get back at me with your personal experiences.  I'll appreciate any useful information.  Thanks.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

Re: Moving to Indianapolis?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 12:14:00 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Friend of mine is from Indiana, not Indianapolis though, he hates the whole area, but he lives in Brooklyn now, so I think it was the whole small town thing. If you can stomach the Payton Manning jerseys, seems like a good enough place, not a great deal of diversity though, that kind of stuff bothers me after a while.

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 06:15:30 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Any state that produced Larry Bird can't be all bad, right?

I know you're looking for personal experiences, but here's a snap shot by Money Magazine (mostly just statistics, etc.): Link.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 06:38:39 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Though Roy's correct about Indiana in general, my personal animosity for Peyton Manning and the Colts is far too overpowering for me to answer this question objectively ... or to ever consider living there myself. Wish I had more constructive advice ... good luck with your relocation!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 09:00:12 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
When I was about 12ish my family owned a small plane and once we flew across the country (at lowish altitude) to see family. Indiana and Illinois, from the air, looked like the most boring place on Earth. Nothing but farm as far as I could see. But i was only 12. Nowadays I'd like to go there and see Notre Dame and Indiana U and Purdue and I'm sure Indianapolis is ok. I had a girlfriend in high school from Bloomington and she never complained about much except some religious zealots, but those are everywhere you go, plus if you're religious you might like it. 

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 11:37:30 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
Yeah, these are all good points.  It's pretty empty outside of the city, but its within driving distance of some other cool places (Louisville, etc) - although that's a lame excuse to like a city.  Also, I'm worried about the lack of big time college sports in the city (Butler and IUPUI...and how much longer will Butler have a quality men's BB program?).  I hate Notre Dame, but I'd be willing to latch on to Indiana as my Big Ten football team.   

Although when you look at that MONEY Magazine snapshot...I could buy a house for 1/3rd the national average, tax is low, car insurance is cheap, I wouldn't have to worry about their below average schools (not for a while at least), there are a lot of bars and golf courses, and to top it off, 55% of the population is single, and only 56% of the people there have gone to college, furthering my chances to meet and easily impress lots of dumb women.

It's a tough decision for sure.  My other possible locations include staying in Nashville or moving up to Madison, WI, where I'd at least get to see some UW games and drink lots of good beer.  Keep the posts coming, as I still know very little about Indianapolis.

Thanks.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 02:41:29 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
When we landed in Louisville KY I asked where the baseball bats were made, and they said across the river in (Evansville I think) Indiana.
I have a feeling like the food must be good there. My best friend when I was a young kid was from Indiana. Really standupish boring hard working folk. I'd compare em to Hank Hill with more "yes sir" rigidness. The father was transfered in a large company and after a few years transfered back. I don't think they liked it in MA. The kids on their street were snots (except me) and treated their kids bad (except me. I didn't like those snots)