Author Topic: The Idea of Imposing one's Will  (Read 2519 times)

The Idea of Imposing one's Will
« on: June 02, 2008, 03:00:06 PM »

Offline Discoflux

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 22
If the talent is equally matched, the series may come down to imposing will.

The Lakers obviously key off Kobe.  If Kobe's will is imposed, the Lakers will be very hard to beat.

Who do the Celtics key off of with 'Will'?  Is it KG mostly, or Pierce? 

Do you notice telltale signs when KG or PP is 'not going to get beat' or the opposite 'has shut off the will to win'?  Will you be looking for these indicators in the series?

Re: The Idea of Imposing one's Will
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 03:02:42 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
After watching how the Celtics finished off the Cavs and Pistons, I am not worried about the 'will' of this team.

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 03:14:46 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
When the Celtics are at their finest it is a 5-man combined WILL that crushes teams into submission.  More often than not when this occurs James Posey is on the floor.  What we saw in the 4th quarter of Game 6 vs Detroit, and Game 2 vs. Cleveland and countless times during the season was the Celtics swarming over the opponent and giving them absolutely nothing.   

The Celtics WILL is imposed on the defensive end, the Lakers on the offense.  That's what makes this an amazing matchup.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 03:46:16 PM by Redz »
Yup

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 03:24:22 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
When i watched West coast teams play aganist each other this pass season,i was thinking,"man these guys are tough,to fast pace for the C's...but after i witness the C's go on the Texas swing,and realized,it was the lack of a good defense,that allowed that brand of b-ball.It does appear,the West have better teams,when they are matched up aganist another west coast team,but when the C's,Detroit,and Cavs,go west,its a different type of game played,because Defense is a priority with the east,or at least the Celtics.

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 03:36:50 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
When the Celtics are at their finest it is a 5-man combined WILL that crushes teams into submission.  More often than not when this occurs James Posey is on the floor.  What we saw in the 4th quarter of Game 6 vs Detroit, and Game 2 vs. Cleveland and countless times during the season was the Celtics swarming over the opponent and giving them absolutely nothing.   

The Celtics WILL is imposed on the defensive, the Lakers on the offense.  That's what makes this an amazing matchup.

Nice post, Redz.  +1.  I think you nailed it.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 04:11:44 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Ok, Kobe is the best player in the NBA, Laker's fans, you can stop trying to create topics hinting at this without saying it directly. When the Celtics and Lakers step on the court on Thursday, Kobe will be hands down the best player on the court. Unfortunately for you I don't think he is good enough to beat the Celtics by himself, because that's what he will have to do. Kobe will be guarded one on one, and so will everyone else, Kobe can have 40, but Gasol and Odom will be held well under control.

When it comes to imposing one's will, I can agree that Kobe may be able to take over a quarter, but a game and a series, against an excellent, defensive oriented team, no.

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 05:22:51 PM »

Offline Discoflux

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 22
Ok, Kobe is the best player in the NBA, Laker's fans, you can stop trying to create topics hinting at this without saying it directly. When the Celtics and Lakers step on the court on Thursday, Kobe will be hands down the best player on the court. Unfortunately for you I don't think he is good enough to beat the Celtics by himself, because that's what he will have to do. Kobe will be guarded one on one, and so will everyone else, Kobe can have 40, but Gasol and Odom will be held well under control.

When it comes to imposing one's will, I can agree that Kobe may be able to take over a quarter, but a game and a series, against an excellent, defensive oriented team, no.

Buffing Kobe's helmet was not my intention.  I am not implying anything about Kobe.  It isn't necessary to say anything about Kobe, he is like religion, everyone has their own and no need to talk about it.