Author Topic: KG is a jerk off the court (according to The Detroit News)  (Read 10170 times)

Re: KG is a jerk off the court (according to The Detroit News)
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2008, 01:05:27 PM »

Offline LakerLanny

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 1
When he has matched up vs Kobe's teams in the past in the playoffs, there has been NO DOUBT about who The Man was.  And it wasn't KG.

Wasn't Kobe either. cough *Shaq* cough.

Kobe has been the main man since his 2nd year in the league. All true Laker fans know that.

You can keep hating, this guy is better than Jordan and Larry Bird would be carrying his bags onto the plane.

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2008, 01:12:52 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
When he has matched up vs Kobe's teams in the past in the playoffs, there has been NO DOUBT about who The Man was.  And it wasn't KG.

Kobe has been the main man since his 2nd year in the league. All true Laker fans know that.

You can keep hating, this guy is better than Jordan and Larry Bird would be carrying his bags onto the plane.

its not hating to state facts, Shaq was the reason they won that series, kobe is a phenominal player, and much improved since those early title runs, but in his second year he rightly deffered to the big fella.

as to the second inflamatory comment, how bout he wins as many championships as jordan and finshes up his career before we annoint him, thats all im asking.

and i'm not even going to address the second comment, since it was clearly a troll attempt.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2008, 01:17:15 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
When he has matched up vs Kobe's teams in the past in the playoffs, there has been NO DOUBT about who The Man was.  And it wasn't KG.

its not hating to state facts, Shaq was the reason they won that series, kobe is a phenominal player, and much improved since those early title runs, but in his second year he rightly deffered to the big fella.

as to the second inflamatory comment, how bout he wins as many championships as jordan and finshes up his career before we annoint him, thats all im asking.

and i'm not even going to address the second comment, since it was clearly a troll attempt.

Well put, crownsy.

As someone who has been fairly intrigued by the perspectives put forth on the "KG personality" thread here, though I'm not looking to step on any mod turf here, I'd ask that we try to heed Roy's comments from above.  So far as I know, we've got no established limits on the creation of new threads, so for those looking to perpetuate the Kobe-KG issue, I'll echo RH in suggesting the use of the 'new topic' button.  Thanks.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2008, 01:18:37 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Steve is absolutely right.  It is completely unacceptable to blatantly disregard a moderator's instructions.  Do not let it happen again.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2008, 01:23:15 PM »

Offline dorschrm

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 12
I know for a fact he has a very hard time giving out autographs.

He doesn't sign anything without knowing what its for or if its for a good reason.

There was one time I recall where he saw in the stands a Dad in his interpretation tell his young son to go ask KG for an autograph.  When the kid approached him he refused and had something to say to the Dad in the stands.

Aside from that the guy is a class act....just stay away from him during KG mode around game time

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2008, 01:24:30 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
The first time my wife and I had the chance to meet KG it was a few years ago when his cousin Shamond Williams was on the Cs.  The Cs just beat the Twolves in a close game I think Shamond and KG both got T's for talking trash to each other in that game. 

Anyways, after the game my wife and I was in the back talking to Shamond for a few minutes and here come KG walking out of the locker room heading to the bus.  There was a bunch of teenage boys yelling KG,KG, and he just bush them off.  My wife was like what a jerk KG is, my wife said this not knowing that Shamond Williams and KG were cousin.  So Shamond runs out to get KG.  KG comes back in the build to meet an talk with the kids. 

Now it just so happen that the kids was a part of Shamond Williams younger brothers AAU team.  If he had not been for Shamond going back to get KG those kids who was a part of his own Cousin AAU team would have thought of he as being a jerk.

My wife and I was introduce to KG at the time.  My wife was didn't give him the time of day because she thought he was a jerk and the only reason why he came back was because Shamond went and got him.  Up until this season when KG became a Celtics and my wife and I got the chance to meet and know KG a little better he is now my wife favorite player. 

So my point is KG can be a jerk at times to people he does not know.  But once you get to know him, he will give you the shirt off his back.

Great post and perfectly in line with what I said earlier and think about him.  He's not a jerk, he's just overly focused before/after games and doesn't break his routine ever.  Unfortunately, this is where most people see him.

I've heard a few stories of people meeting him in public and they said he talked with them for quite a while.  I think for the most part he's not super open with complete strangers... and why should he be?  One of the guys at TWolves Blog, from DeRok.net I think, wrote a story about meeting KG.  He had made a KG/Wolves video that the Wolves got ahold of, liked, and got in touch with him to ask permission to use the video as their pregame jumbotron vid.  DeRok later went to an Adidas photoshoot location and saw KG, TMac, and Duncan outside as they were leaving.  The three passed by him with only a slight acknowledgment, but when the kid shouted "Hey KG, I made the "OneShot" video," Garnett apparently said "Word?" then went back and chatted with him for a while.

And the "once you get to know him, he will give you the shirt off his back" couldn't be truer.  Most of his best childhood friends lived with him at one time or another in Minnesota when they needed some help.  His loyalty to those close to him is as genuine as it gets.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2008, 01:25:31 PM »

Offline CelticsPrideKG

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
It's well documented that KG is intense beyond comprehension before games and intensely private off the court.  It shouldn't be surprising that he could come off a certain way towards people and his unwillingness sometimes to open up to media members isn't going to help him in articles like this.  Judging from the OP's comments about meeting him at the airport and him being friendly I don't think there is any reason to believe he's not a genuinely nice person.  Like most I'm sure it depends mostly on when he is approached and what he is doing at the time . . . if he's out with his wife and newborn I wouldn't really expect an autograph/picture or a long conversation.  He probably likes to keep that stuff seperate I would think.  Before games I'm sure he can come off as "mean" to ball boys and other staff members because I'm sure he's in the zone and not wanting to be distracted with conversations and autograph requests.

All things equal I haven't heard any bad stories about Garnett off the court and I've followed his career closely since I was a kid.

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2008, 01:45:32 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
I went to the Celtics Winter shoot around and got to spend about an hour with KG.  Let me tell you he is the MAN!

When I met KG he was super chill.  He is the biggest trash talker I have ever met in my life, but he's just competitive.  I could see him yelling at people he doesn't know too well, but he goofs around so much I can't see him being generally rude to people for no good reason.  I understand that I met him during a charity type event, but if there's a bad side to him it's the way he acts towards people he doesn't vibe with and that's fine.  Detroit's probably just complaining and trying to take attention away from the fact that they are way older than us and on the way out.
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2008, 01:49:18 PM »

Offline CT34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
I know for a fact he has a very hard time giving out autographs.

He doesn't sign anything without knowing what its for or if its for a good reason.

There was one time I recall where he saw in the stands a Dad in his interpretation tell his young son to go ask KG for an autograph.  When the kid approached him he refused and had something to say to the Dad in the stands.

Aside from that the guy is a class act....just stay away from him during KG mode around game time

Actually I left out something in what I said earlier. When KG game back one of the kids has a KG jersey and KG signed the Jersey.  The kids around him who went to school with the kid told him he better not wear that jersey to school or else....But KG is a cool guy and will do anything for people he knows well.  What I learn about the guy is that his mom told him to treat people with a long wooden spoon.  That a southern expression which mean don't trust everyone you met until they give you a reason to be trusted.  So you may think his a jerk but knowning he comes from the same school that I came from I understand KG.

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2008, 01:51:12 PM »

Offline CelticsPrideKG

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
[Deleted.]  See below comment.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 02:12:41 PM by Roy Hobbs »

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2008, 02:02:18 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
[Deleted]. The warnings apply to Celtics fans, too.  If people insist on disobeying moderators, there will be suspensions. -R.H.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 02:12:00 PM by Roy Hobbs »

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2008, 02:06:40 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
I know of no player who was more the face of the franchise than Garnett was in Minnesota.  I go to Minneapolis quite a bit and have been to a few TWolves games.  Garnett was the Timberwolves.  

There is no way a jerk off the court could have the affection of so many people and be the unquestioned franchise.  Not the face of the franchise, but the franchise.  I've never met Garnett.  There is no way he's a jerk.  

What Twolves management has had to do to sell tickets  post-Garnett is pretty extraordinary.  Check their website next year and see some  of the crazy and costly promos they've had to put out there to get fans in the seats.  The few times I went to their games while Garnett was a Twolf, their tickets were relatively expensive for a .500 team and for the area (compared to the Twins opposed to the rest of MLB) and there were few promos.  

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2008, 02:08:38 PM »

Offline bleedingreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Hinrich sucks, Deng sucks, Bulls suck, I'm out.
Let me just say I was a bottom piece of crap Intern during Celtics Media day. When KG came in to do his stuff he was nice to everyone, and I mean everyone. Very talkative, cracking jokes, making sure no one felt uncomfortable; (though it's impossible not to feel a little on edge, the guy owns a room when he walks into it).

Anyways on the court, the guy makes shooting motions to his head, bangs his head against the ball, and almost killed Leon Powe... in a celebratory fashion of course. The point is, the man goes to war. Detroit media, is just p---ed their team is done, and done in less games then the atlanta hawks.

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2008, 02:20:57 PM »

Offline Discoflux

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 22
I refuse to believe KG is anything but a warrior on and off the court.
He is everything a ball player should be.  Who wrote this crap, and does this person have a real understanding of KG or is it a knee-jerk article based on one experience?

Walk a mile in KGs shoes before judging him. 

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2008, 02:22:18 PM »

Offline expobear

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 27
I started to like KG when Steve Nash won his first MVP and nobody in the league thought Nash deserved it.  KG was the very first player (outside Nash's team) to call and congratulate Nash. I thought that was a cool thing to do. The two have been pretty good friends since.