Author Topic: Should the C's Go Big?  (Read 3584 times)

Should the C's Go Big?
« on: June 02, 2008, 12:04:30 PM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
Lots of lineup/matchup talk, here's one reminiscent of an earlier Celtics-Lakers final...

Pierce on Fisher
Posey on Bryant
Garnett on Radmanovich
Brown on Odom
Perkins on Gasol

When they have the ball, there are not mismatches, PLUS we get the added benefits of an extra shot blocker and some great rebounding.

When we have the ball, we have four guys spacing the floor, Radman covering Garnett, and Fisher trying to cover Pierce!
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

Re: Should the C's Go Big?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 12:10:28 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I can't really see the value in putting Brown on Odom.  PJ was having some trouble getting out on McDyess, and Odom certainly moves faster and stays further from the hoop than him.  Brown's gotta bang down low and guard the baselines.
Yup

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 12:12:45 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
the Celtics shouldn't just go big...they should go MEGATRON.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 12:14:42 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
I can't really see the value in putting Brown on Odom.  PJ was having some trouble getting out on McDyess, and Odom certainly moves faster and stays further from the hoop than him.  Brown's gotta bang down low and guard the baselines.

I agree, I don't think he has the mobility at this point in his career to cover Odom.  Odom is a very tough guard.  He can play both outside and inside.  If we do decide to go big like this, I would much rather see a smaller, quicker,  Leon Powe on Odom instead of Brown.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 12:14:51 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
When we have the ball, we have four guys spacing the floor, Radman covering Garnett, and Fisher trying to cover Pierce!

Why would the Lakers put Vlad on KG, instead of P.J.?  Plus, if we ever ran that lineup out there, the Lakers would just move Kobe to point, and bring in somebody to cover Posey (Walton or S.V.)

Creating mismatches is always advantageous, but I'm okay with the match-ups using our traditional starting lineup.  I think you need Ray in the game, and Rondo is just too important on defense.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 12:16:27 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
We need to keep Odom boxed off the boards.He is very good at getting second chance shots.I feel Powe as a backup,can keep him off the boards more often than PJ can.Also,Powe can be more physical with Odom.

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 12:18:44 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
the Celtics shouldn't just go big...they should go MEGATRON.

hope u mean Omega Supreme  ::)

I want them to play to their strenghts I kike the Idea of playing Powe a little on Odom
I dont know why
I want them to play perk on gasol as little as popsible
I want them to play garnett on gasol
but I am not the coacch and I am probably wrong so nevermind.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 12:20:54 PM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
Powe makes sense at the four (instead of Brown), good stuff.

I am also not suggesting we run this for 48 minutes per night, but it could be very useful as a change of pace.
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 12:29:35 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266

I am also not suggesting we run this for 48 minutes per night, but it could be very useful as a change of pace.
Tp for your post.I feel PJ(backup) is better on Gasol,maybe,but Powe is young/more energetic,and can probably keep up with Odom better than PJ.

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 12:34:47 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

Tp for your post.I feel PJ(backup) is better on Gasol,maybe,but Powe is young/more energetic,and can probably keep up with Odom better than PJ.

Hey that was my Idea!!!  ::)
 ( see in the omega supreme post)
HIT ME!! ;D
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!